Latest news: FIA is investigating McLaren

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 29 May 2007, 07:34

I think Alonso won fair and square because he was faster and better than Hamilton

gofernando
car driver
car driver

Post by gofernando » 29 May 2007, 09:47

iceman1 wrote:I think Alonso won fair and square because he was faster and better than Hamilton
How can we be sure, now?
Hamilton was on a 1 stop strategy, it seemed, and they switched him to two. Does anyone have info on this?

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 29 May 2007, 09:52

McLaren-Mercedes say they are not concerned about the FIA's investigation into their Monaco Grand Prix tactics.

The FIA announced yesterday that it will examine McLaren's handling of the race to determine whether they broke the sporting code by employing illegal team orders.

But a McLaren spokeswoman told Reuters that the team were 'comfortable' with the FIA inquiry and confident about its outcome.

"McLaren are completely comfortable with the FIA's investigation into our race strategy and that all decisions taken both before and during the race were completely in compliance with the international sporting code," she said.

The team took a dominant one-two in Sunday's race, with Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton finishing over a minute clear of Ferrari's Felipe Massa and lapping the rest of the finishers, having been the class of the field all weekend.

Ron Dennis said afterwards that the drivers had been instructed to back off and conserve their cars after their first pit stops rather than racing to the flag.
Thats just came up on autosport.com...

I still don't think there was team orders... Dennis had nothing to gain by it...

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 29 May 2007, 15:25

I think Ron should have kept his mouth shut. The McLarens have clearly caught up with Ferrari in terms of pace (at least at Monaco). I remember hearing during the race that Hamilton's lap times were approaching those of his qualifying and at certain points during the race they were even eclipsing those in certain sectors. Clearly they had everything dialed in right and were probably just playing it safe and smart. From McLaren's view I'm sure they feel more comfortable with a safe 1 2 finish than having their drivers race each other so hard that they both get taken out. Monaco isn't a place where there is room for error. Maybe at a different track where there is more room we would have seen a different/similar pit strategy for LH and FA.

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 29 May 2007, 15:31

Dark_Fisico wrote: Thats just came up on autosport.com...

I still don't think there was team orders... Dennis had nothing to gain by it...
I bet you he did have a financial incentive for Alonso to win Monaco. maybe Santander put something in their contract to reward McLaren for an Alonso win at Monaco. This is common practice in sponsorship deals...

Santander gets some nice pictures of Alonso holding up a trophy at Monaco for their global marketing machine, Ron Dennis gets a few more million bucks in the bank. Simple really...
Last edited by BANANAGP on 29 May 2007, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 29 May 2007, 15:35

phillyred79 wrote:I think Ron should have kept his mouth shut.
Agreed but I think it was so obvious to everyone that McLaren had weighed down hamilton for no reason that Ron felt almost too embarassed not to say anything. He probably heard the wispers rtight after the race (and Hamilton certainly weasn't quiet about it) and thought that by attacking it directly he could quash the controversy - WRONG!

The look on Hamilton's Dad's face after the race was priceless he knew exactlywhat had happened.

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 29 May 2007, 17:43

That's ashame if it is true about the sponsorship thing. I'd prefer to stay blissfully ignorant if that is the case. Lewis Hamilton bleeds McLaren's blood and has throughout his whole life and deserves a fair shot. True Alonso is the 2x World Champ, but he's with McLaren because of $$$. If this type of thing happens often throughout the season when Lewis and Fernando are that close, I would hope LH would leave the team for 2008. But, I doubt this is/would be the case. I wonder what his (LH) contract states. You can be sure there will be offers coming his way. Although, I can't think of a better team for LH.. Maybe Ferrari will axe the uninspiring 'talent' of Kimi or Renault can let go of Fisi... Who knows... All I know is that I can't wait another 2wks for F1 to return!!!

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 29 May 2007, 17:48

phillyred79 wrote:If this type of thing happens often throughout the season when Lewis and Fernando are that close, I would hope LH would leave the team for 2008. But, I doubt this is/would be the case. I wonder what his (LH) contract states. You can be sure there will be offers coming his way. Although, I can't think of a better team for LH.
if lewis started the season with other than mclaren, i doubt he would show this kind of performance. maybe with ferrari, just maybe. but certainly not with bmw or renault or any lower teams.

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 29 May 2007, 17:56

phillyred79 wrote:That's ashame if it is true about the sponsorship thing. I'd prefer to stay blissfully ignorant if that is the case. Lewis Hamilton bleeds McLaren's blood and has throughout his whole life and deserves a fair shot. True Alonso is the 2x World Champ, but he's with McLaren because of $$$. If this type of thing happens often throughout the season when Lewis and Fernando are that close, I would hope LH would leave the team for 2008. But, I doubt this is/would be the case. I wonder what his (LH) contract states. You can be sure there will be offers coming his way. Although, I can't think of a better team for LH.. Maybe Ferrari will axe the uninspiring 'talent' of Kimi or Renault can let go of Fisi... Who knows... All I know is that I can't wait another 2wks for F1 to return!!!
Agreed on all points... including other options for LH. He might become Alonso's Barrichello for a while but I hope he doesn't leave a great team like the Barrichello (or Jense for that matter) just to fail elsewhere.

The longer they stay at McLaren the better! This will be at least as good a partnership as Hakkinnen/Coulthard maybe (big maybe) as good as Senna/Prost!

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 29 May 2007, 18:01

fingerfish wrote: if lewis started the season with other than mclaren, i doubt he would show this kind of performance. maybe with ferrari, just maybe. but certainly not with bmw or renault or any lower teams.
No question, but there are examples of drivers getting awesome rides only to fail miserably.

He got a great car and is as fast (or faster) than the reigning two time world champion. What more can you ask of the guy? There's no "hype", only results.

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 29 May 2007, 18:40

Yup! I think one can always debate what makes a winning team win; is it the car? is it the driver? It would be interesting to see what would happen if we played musical cars with all the drivers! Put Alonso in a Spyker, Sato in a Ferrari, Kimi in a McLaren (OOPS. been there done that and look, Kimi still is having problems!!!)...Point is, McLaren has their act together on the car and driver front....

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 29 May 2007, 19:25

phillyred79 wrote:Point is, McLaren has their act together on the car and driver front....
and what an excellent point it is... now for Frank Willliams to get his act together... :cheesy:

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 29 May 2007, 20:36

I didn't think of that Bananagp... So maybe he did have a reason for Alonso to win at Monaco, but I still think in the long run Hamilton is worth more... But then I'm not Ron Dennis (thank the Gods :lol:)...

But what is it with fathers of drivers being so arragont :lol:... I couldn't stand Keke Rosberg last season and already hate Anthony Hamilton :lol:, maybe its the familys that turn me off certain drivers...

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 30 May 2007, 00:51

Dark_Fisico wrote:I didn't think of that Bananagp... So maybe he did have a reason for Alonso to win at Monaco, but I still think in the long run Hamilton is worth more...
Agreed but Hamilton isn't going anywhere anytime soon. His contract with McLaren is certainly watertight. The Santander money (if true) is immediate!

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 30 May 2007, 08:20

FIA will not reach any conclusions because the race was not altered in any way. Maybe McLaren acted conservatively, telling both drivers not to reach 19K revs, but they sure did not tell Lewis to stay behind Fernando, while Fernando was let free to go as fast as he could.

Did not you see how Lewis struck the barriers in the third stint? Did not you see how he missed the clean line in a couple of turns? That does not seem like a guy who is told to stay second.