Latest news: FIA is investigating McLaren

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
orangedevil
kart driver
kart driver

Latest news: FIA is investigating McLaren

Post by orangedevil » 28 May 2007, 13:27

First of all, Ron Dennis said "We decided Alonso would win":
Ron Dennis admitted that the McLaren team decided in advance that Fernando Alonso would win the Monaco Grand Prix ahead of team-mate Lewis Hamilton. The McLaren boss said that it was frustrating having to make the call but claims that the possibility of the safety car coming out demanded a change of strategy.

"An outstanding result for the team. Both Fernando and Lewis drove so well and responded excellently to the team's wishes of bringing both cars home safely in what was a memorable one-two result and McLaren's 14th victory in the Principality", Dennis said.

"However there is some disappointment because of the different strategies we needed to follow to cope with a potential deployment of the Safety Car which has happened four times in the last five years. Consequently you virtually have to decide in advance which one of the team's two drivers will claim the victory".

Lewis Hamilton fought hard through out the race to allow his one-stop strategy to give him the lead only for his team to change him to a two stop programme.

"Once the first round of pitstops had taken place we reverted Lewis from a one-stop strategy to the faster two-stop strategy and at the same time slowed both cars down to conserve the brakes. As a team we would like to race but this circuit requires a disciplined approach and as a result we can leave Monte Carlo with the maximum amount of points", Dennis added.
And now, The FIA is investigating McLaren:
The FIA has announced on Monday that it has launched an investigation into incidents involving the McLaren Mercedes team at Sunday's Monaco Grand Prix. The FIA believes the team might have breached the International Sporting Code.

British media were furious when Ron Dennis said after the Monaco Grand Prix that the team decided not to let the duo fight but bring both cars to the finish. The FIA can punish the team if it believes McLaren handed out teamorders. The regulations state that teamorders in Formula 1 are not allowed.

The FIA statement said: "The FIA has launched an investigation into incidents involving the McLaren Mercedes team at the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix in light of a possible breach of the International Sporting Code".

"The relevant evidence is under review and a further announcement will be made in due course."

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 28 May 2007, 13:34

oh dear looks like ron dennis has shot himself in the foot a bit! thye should have et hamilton win :P

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 May 2007, 14:24

Technically it was a team order,but any other team would have done the same..
Hamilton should be thankful to McLaren for all that he's getting from the team
McLaren made pit both drivers earlier on the second pitstop to protect themselves from a SC situation...

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 28 May 2007, 14:26

Question: what's the point of having a team if team work is not allowed?

Quoted from Martin Brundle
"in the good old day when the first car broke down, they'll toss away the second driver and let the first driver have the second car"

obviously i dont want the repeat of 1998 australian gp, 2002 austrian gp and 2002 us gp. but i think not letting lewis get pass hamilton (if that actually happened) is a relatively tame team order. they used team order last year at renault (or was it 2005?) , if any of us remember.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 28 May 2007, 14:57

i think part of the problem is everyone was expecting lewis to win because of the press and in particular itv. people wondered why he didn't win and wanted a reason, not just that he was beaten. now they've found it...

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 28 May 2007, 15:03

I don't think ITV were as fanatical about this race as the press were...i mean i don't think the itv commentators actually said anything like 'this is a farce, team orders bleh bleh' which is what the press are saying

i think the british media just can't take it that fernando beat him...if lewis was quicker in q2 then he would have had first option on the strategy...fernando was quicker in q2, he got pole, he won the race, he was in control, he got most of the fastest laps, he didn't make errors like lewis did, he won the race fair and square...

the fia is being fooled by the british media...nothing is happening...fia are stupid to pay any attention to this big nothing...they probably jump on any chance to help ferrari though...
mm tofu

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 28 May 2007, 16:30

i mean before the race, many people were surprised when he didn't win. itv said nothing after the race, but yeah, the british media did.

gofernando
car driver
car driver

Post by gofernando » 28 May 2007, 17:42

Well, honestly, if it hadn't been for Ron to lose his Ronspeak skills, and Hamilton to mention he had more fuel than Alonso, who would have noticed ?
Yes, it's a bit of a shame to end up like that, with team orders when we could have had such a better fight...
As I understand it, the race was decided after quali. Hamilton's move at the start was definitely not of the kind we've witnessed so far from him. But then why did McLaren not let the drivers fight on equal terms ? Hamilton had more fuel than Alonso, and he was just as fast as the #1, bar a small mistake at Loews.
I'm left with the idea that Hamilton should have won it.
Should McLaren be penalised for it? Well, was Ferrari penalised when they did far worse??? :roll:

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 28 May 2007, 19:33

AHA!! I called it... It was so obvious that McLaren had decided not to race that Ron Dennis was embarassed into admitting it. It was obvious this would happen even at the time of the saturday press conference - both drivers spelt it out.
alex wrote: i think the british media just can't take it that fernando beat him...
Alex you're dilusional... Ron Dennis admits that he changed hamiltons strategy to keep him behind alonso and you still think think this is a media conspiracy? Give me a break.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 28 May 2007, 20:53

A couple of extra and unnecessary words from Ron led to an overreaction by the FIA I think.

Busi
Donator
Donator

Post by Busi » 28 May 2007, 22:14

Worst bulls** ever, any sort of penalty and I go burn the FIA center.

Yeah there was team orders but there wasn't a single one the whole last year :roll:

MOTHERFIACKERS
Alonso, future 5 times world champion

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 29 May 2007, 00:11

Worst bull s*** is being robbed of the opportunity of seeing f1 drivers race each other.

It says alot about Hamilton that Ron Dennis thought that we would have to weigh him down with 5 extra laps of fuel in order to guarantee an Alonso pole.

Santander must have offered a nice bonus for a Spanish race win.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 29 May 2007, 05:20

Ferrari wern't investigated when they've done things like this before... :shock:
And how about all the times that Renault got away with letting Alonso past Fisi?? :roll:

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 29 May 2007, 05:50

I think McLaren did the right thing... And apart from corner one there was no way Hamilton was slowing down for Alonso... If he was then I hope he doesn't race there next year because he's gonna kill someone the way he was going...

I think that the decision would have came after qualifying not before the start of the weekend... If they were going to have team orders then why have Fernando when Ron Dennis has the next big British star... I think Dennis would choose Hamilton over Nando for lots of reasons...

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 29 May 2007, 07:14

i dont think anything will come of it, more so just a warning that if this sort of thing happens again... it wont just be a slapon the wrists!
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST