Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Maria d
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Maria d » 15 Jul 2010, 03:04

i would love red bull,cause they have the fast car,but he does not need the drama. so i would hope its mercedes.
when i know it...........K.Raikkonen

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 15 Jul 2010, 03:13

Ice-Ludy wrote:...I hope Kimi chooses WRC over F1. For a long time, since Kimi left F1 I have wished he could come back and revenge what Ferrari did to him. Of course, winning a championship again! :n But you know what guys, I don't think he will come back to F1 and from the bottom of my heart, I hope he doesn't, F1 doesn't deserve a driver like our Iceman, the WRC deserves. He's happy there, he's learning, he's fighting to conquer a place of his own and I am so proud of him!!! :shhh:
For me personally, Kimi staying in the WRC means I will not be able to watch him live anymore. :fear: When he was in F1 it was easier for me to plan a trip to see him. Now, it's really difficult, and I don't know when and if I will be able to watch him live in a rally, but that's not the point. The point is to see his sincere smile, his body language relaxed, his eyes shinning and his talent being demostrated to anyone understand why we love him so much, because he's Kimi, he's the best and he deserves to be happy! :O
Bon, Ludy! Very well-said :)
Kinga wrote:
Wolfie wrote: I think it's F1 but can be wrong too.
He said in the Neil Cole interview that he thinks that WRC is "still the one". When I've heard him saying it I thought that maybe he thinks about that the decision for this year was good but can be that it will be for next year too.
Yeah... that part of the interview struck me, too. WRC is the best decision and it's still the one.
valuk wrote:Next time share some of that good stuff you were smoking with the rest of us. :p
:lol:
Maria d wrote:IF it was up to many of us , yes wrc is the place he should be,but he will do what he wants.
That's the most succinct and accurate way of putting it :thumbsup:

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 15 Jul 2010, 05:06

I know many of you would prefer him in WRC but there are too many unknowns despite it being that he is fast - he is not afraid of the speed in WRC(in fact he feels it is like granny speed since he laments missing the speed in F1)...

but then there is the issue of his back and WRC may not suit his back becuase the terrain of WRC circuits are far different from F1 circuits...

then there is the potential to win WDC - so long as there are 5 guys ahead of you in terms of results and experience, it would take as long as 3-6 years just to get that experience even for someone like kimi becos it is very different from F1 where the circuit is driven over and over in one session but for WRC, the shakedown or recce is only once and the race is once. This means you only have two times in a circuit so you need several years to really experience new things you did not experience the last time around. If you multiply this with x number of rally circuits, it would take a long time to fully be in a position to fight for WDC - basically to be where Seb Loeb is today...

There is no doubt Kimi is talented, but in WRC, talent alone is insufficient, you need experience of circuit and experience in relying on notes etc. These constraints are going to set kimi back by years, not by race (unlike F1). He is optimistic in rally, that is clear...but I feel it would be good for him to do it as a hobby, just like all his other motorsport hobbies. It helps to hone in on his instincts as there is no testing during F1 breaks and works as a good way to relieve stress.

I feel as if his only real hinderance back into F1 is the media's behavior towards people in F1 - he has never lost the passion for racing but the atmosphere in F1 isn't to his liking. If I was in his shoes, I would return to F1, not becos I would prefer him to be there but becos the oppportunities are better for winning in the near future are far more realistic than in WRC. And he qalready said hie is only interested to be in a winning car - but in WRC, even with a winning car, he still has to get over the need for experience. And that would take him too long to be in the position that he is all the time aiming for. So if he is really smart, he would be back in F1. not for money but for the chance to be a champion again (this is the first and only thing on most competitors' minds).
The JINX

Leijona
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Leijona » 15 Jul 2010, 05:55

bourbon wrote:So if Kimi did return to F1 (I know a lot want Rally, but just pretend for a moment) - would it be, Mercedes, Renault or Reb Bull - if he had his choice and the offers were all equal in every way? (Assume Nico, Robert and Sebastian as team mates and with the cars as they are now). What do you guys think?
hmm that's an interesting question. I don't think Kimi would be interested in Renault since they haven't been exactly the top team for a long time and even though they are improving there's no guarantees the team would be on top next season (or 2012). Somehow Mercedes sounds a little bit more "fitting" for Kimi, but they haven't produced the kind of results Brawn GP was able to make. Red Bull is - out of these three - the WC competing team (has been for a couple of years) so probably would be most tempting for Kimi. Also because the image fits him perfectly. However, Kimi did say when asked about who will win the world championship: "I hope it's Red Bull. They are fast but there's still unreliability problems." ..... I don't think Kimi would want a team, once again, which is very fast but unreliable........

to be in Kimi's head right now and see what he's thinking :roll::

Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Vida » 15 Jul 2010, 06:30

bourbon wrote:So if Kimi did return to F1 (I know a lot want Rally, but just pretend for a moment) - would it be, Mercedes, Renault or Reb Bull - if he had his choice and the offers were all equal in every way? (Assume Nico, Robert and Sebastian as team mates and with the cars as they are now). What do you guys think?
it's a tough question.. redbull and mercedes have the money to develop the car and great people are behind them as well. but i have to say redbull as the team is suit him more..

redstorm
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by redstorm » 15 Jul 2010, 07:05

Renault; calm, quiet and out of the limelight just as Iceman wants it. Bob and Kimi would be a tremendous force to be reckoned with.......

Mastercard can bring the cash to build a rocket again.
It's just a FORUM!!!
RED

sammyosammy
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sammyosammy » 15 Jul 2010, 09:52

brendakarli wrote:I know many of you would prefer him in WRC but there are too many unknowns despite it being that he is fast - he is not afraid of the speed in WRC(in fact he feels it is like granny speed since he laments missing the speed in F1)...

but then there is the issue of his back and WRC may not suit his back becuase the terrain of WRC circuits are far different from F1 circuits...

then there is the potential to win WDC - so long as there are 5 guys ahead of you in terms of results and experience, it would take as long as 3-6 years just to get that experience even for someone like kimi becos it is very different from F1 where the circuit is driven over and over in one session but for WRC, the shakedown or recce is only once and the race is once. This means you only have two times in a circuit so you need several years to really experience new things you did not experience the last time around. If you multiply this with x number of rally circuits, it would take a long time to fully be in a position to fight for WDC - basically to be where Seb Loeb is today...

There is no doubt Kimi is talented, but in WRC, talent alone is insufficient, you need experience of circuit and experience in relying on notes etc. These constraints are going to set kimi back by years, not by race (unlike F1). He is optimistic in rally, that is clear...but I feel it would be good for him to do it as a hobby, just like all his other motorsport hobbies. It helps to hone in on his instincts as there is no testing during F1 breaks and works as a good way to relieve stress.

I feel as if his only real hinderance back into F1 is the media's behavior towards people in F1 - he has never lost the passion for racing but the atmosphere in F1 isn't to his liking. If I was in his shoes, I would return to F1, not becos I would prefer him to be there but becos the oppportunities are better for winning in the near future are far more realistic than in WRC. And he qalready said hie is only interested to be in a winning car - but in WRC, even with a winning car, he still has to get over the need for experience. And that would take him too long to be in the position that he is all the time aiming for. So if he is really smart, he would be back in F1. not for money but for the chance to be a champion again (this is the first and only thing on most competitors' minds).
I´ve been wondering on this silly thought of mine..what if he came back. Would it be possible for him to take the part of the WRC-atmosphere with him..? I mean the team he joined would love it.. Can one change the world..? :)

Heard that today´s Autosports print has an article conserning Kimi`s future. Would just love if someone shared it with us..

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 15 Jul 2010, 10:28

I don't have the Autosport article but I understood that the headline is:

Kimi delays F1 return for another year in WRC

... which suggests quite much...

sammyosammy
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sammyosammy » 15 Jul 2010, 10:31

Julia wrote:I don't have the Autosport article but I understood that the headline is:

cheers..

:( :( :(

saif
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by saif » 15 Jul 2010, 10:42

Julia wrote:I don't have the Autosport article but I understood that the headline is:

wohooo... way to go Kimi :thumbsup: .. Go Kimi get the WRC title Flag:##
Whats the purpose of life? Is Life Just A Game? Find out the answers: http://www.OneReason.org/

http://www.twitter.com/saifsultan

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 15 Jul 2010, 11:20

somebody have posted links to a pdf of the article on autosport forum... i have no idee if its ok to post them here but the mods can probably delete my message ifs not ok....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/479 ... ec50_o.png
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/479 ... 2103_o.png
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/479 ... ac19_o.png

sounds as a logical decision to me atleast... and I am happy that (if this is true) thaat he stays one more year... nice to here that red bull (theis sourse is helmut marko?) is happy with him :cool:

sammyosammy
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sammyosammy » 15 Jul 2010, 11:27

Julia wrote:somebody have posted links to a pdf of the article on autosport forum... i have no idee if its ok to post them here but the mods can probably delete my message ifs not ok....

sounds as a logical decision to me atleast... and I am happy that (if this is true) thaat he stays one more year... nice to here that red bull (theis sourse is helmut marko?) is happy with him :cool:
Hahaaa, You were quicker.. :lol: :lol:

They`ll prpably announce this in Rally Finland

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 15 Jul 2010, 11:35

Raikkonen set to stay in rallying :thumbsup: :hatoff:

By David Evans Thursday, July 15th 2010, 11:15 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen is set to commit to the World Rally Championship for a second season, reveals this week's AUTOSPORT.

The 2007 Formula 1 world champion had been linked to a return to grand prix racing with Renault next year, but the Finn intends to stay in rallying for at least one more year.

Raikkonen is believed to be keen for his relationship with Red Bull in the long term, opening the door for a possible F1 return wuth the energy drink firm's team in 2012.

"I don't miss Formula 1 and I am enjoying what I am doing now," Raikkonen said at the Bulgarian round of the WRC last weekend.

"I have still not decided what I am doing next year yet. Soon I have to decide, maybe it will be just after Rally Finland."

A Red Bull source confirmed to AUTOSPORT that it is close to a deal with Raikkonen: "We are very happy with what Kimi has done this season. He is very good for the Red Bull brand and we are looking to extend his agreement into next year. I think this is likely."

Citroen Racing director Olivier Quesnel is confident that he will retain Raikkonen in 2011.

"I'm sure this will happen," he said. "For myself, he is really involved in rallying and he wants to succeed. I will be pleased if he will stay. he has done one year and he needs to do one more year to make sure."

Sebastien Loeb agrees that it would benefit Raikkonen to stay for at least a second year in the WRC.

"He should, because this year he is only learning," Loeb said. "He cannot be competitive this year and if he stops then he has lost this year. If he continues next year he will arrive on the rallies knowing where he is.

"He has the notes, he can modify them, which is much easier than this year when he had to make them all from the start. He will know better the stages in his head. He can improve a lot from this year to next year.

"Especially because we all change cars, so he will get in the new car and we will also. I'm sure he would have more chances to succeed next season."

link:
http://url4.eu/5qfYm
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 15 Jul 2010, 11:38

sammyosammy wrote:
Julia wrote:somebody have posted links to a pdf of the article on autosport forum... i have no idee if its ok to post them here but the mods can probably delete my message ifs not ok....

Hahaaa, You were quicker.. :lol: :lol:

They`ll prpably announce this in Rally Finland

yeaaaa... I won! :lol: :lol:

i dont think they announce it in Rally Finland, more likely just before rally germany (where RB is one of the main sponsor) or sometime there is a bigger marketing value?

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 15 Jul 2010, 11:38

thanks Julia :hug:

I'm quite sure he will stay. What Loeb says makes sense. Next year will be a lot easier for him. He'll have better chance to measure himself to the top guys.