2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Denorth » 24 Jun 2010, 08:54

I hope someone can help with the following issue:

I have an employee who is keen to watch F1 (he is racing midget cars in NZ himself), but has to spend almost whole F1 season on board of the vessel. So he asked me if I was recording any races and I wasn't of course :roll::
This brigs me to the question - is there any kind of on-line archive to watch/record F1 races of this season?
Thank you anyone who can help. :pray:
These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 24 Jun 2010, 13:16

<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Denorth
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Denorth » 24 Jun 2010, 14:17

stupid me &doh
thank you :thumbsup:
These Colours Don't Run!

Kimi, Always Kimi

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Jul 2010, 14:32

Bernie wants Mallorca circuit instead of Valencia
Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is weighing up a bid by officials from Mallorca to try and grab Spain's second race from Valencia in the future.

Amid doubts about the long-term future of the Valencia event, representatives from Mallorca met with Ecclestone at the European Grand Prix last weekend to present plans for an all-new venue that will be completed in 2013.

Joan Jaume Mulet, the mayor of the Llucmajor municipality of the Balearic Islands, has thrown his support behind the project - and has already commissioned Spanish architects Mateo Palmer and Biel Arbona to work on the track.

The 'Circuit of the Balearic Islands' is planned to be 3.6 miles long, and the project has recruited Federico Gastaldi – one of the men who took F1 back to Argentina in the mid-1990s – to act as a mediator in the discussions with Ecclestone.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 01 Jul 2010, 14:37

Three cheers and a whoopee, yeah!!! Good riddance to bad rubbish (hopefully).

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Jul 2010, 14:42

But the Mallorcan layout looks c**p

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 01 Jul 2010, 14:56

Mallorca may look c**p but Valencia is two more shades of c**p. Anything is an improvement, even if its the supermarket car park near where I live.

R.?
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by R.? » 01 Jul 2010, 15:07

I heard that the A1-Ring in Austria may return to F1. Well, lets race the European GP there! Instead of that c**p Valencia circuit.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 02 Jul 2010, 11:18

Red Bull is making a fresh push for engine equalization. (From Autosport)
Spoiler:
Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has made a fresh plea to try and get engine performance equalised for next season - with his outfit now set to remain with Renault for 2011.

Horner has made no secret of the fact that he believes the Renault is down on power compared to the benchmark Mercedes-Benz - even though his unit may have advantages in terms of weight, driveability and fuel consumption.

A push last season to make all engines equal did not result in any action being taken, and Horner is now keen for the matter to be looked at again – especially as he believes the importance of power will become more important as rival outfits close in on the chassis advantage that Red Bull currently enjoys.

"I think if you look at basic studies you would say we are about three per cent down on power – which is probably about 30-35bhp," said Horner. "That is as much as four tenths per lap, but until you run all the engines in the same conditions on a dyno and do a fair and proper comparison you can never be sure.

"You often hear Ross Brawn talk about weight distribution, or the centre-of-gravity and cooling efficiency so on, and the more power you have the more heat you generate.

"But you need to look at all the aspects in a collective format. The most important thing moving forward is that chassis will for sure converge, as there is freedom within the regulations, and that is where the engines will become a bigger factor."

He added: "It is getting a bit boring. Through the regulations, there is nothing that specifically deals with engine equality, and that is the problem. I think it is acknowledged that there are differences and there is a format that was agreed last winter to evaluate the engines, which was agreed upon by all the manufacturers, but some of the teams stopped that from happening. We are back in to that situation."

Last season Red Bull Racing chased a deal with Mercedes-Benz hard for 2010, but that move was scuppered when the plans were blocked by McLaren – who had a veto right over Mercedes-Benz expanding its customer supply platform.

And with Mercedes-Benz having said recently that it did not plan to provide an extra team with engines for next year, Red Bull Racing looks set to agree terms with Renault for at least one more season.

"In terms of supply, we are very happy with the relationship we have with Renault," explained Horner. "They treat us very well, and we have a very good partnership with Renault.

"Unfortunately the product, due to the homologation, is frozen and therefore you have a performance freeze.

"Mercedes have made it transparently clear that they will not be supplying any additional teams for next year- so we rely on the FIA and the teams and manufacturers to create a healthy situation. It is not healthy to have a situation where one engine is significantly ahead of the rest."

When asked to respond to suggestions that although the Renault may be down on power, it does have advantages in other area, Horner said: "The Renault engine is a tidy engine; it is a good engine, as is the Ferrari.

"But I think horsepower is such an over-riding element that that would come at the top - you would trade any of those aspects for horsepower.

"In terms of fuel consumption, when you have less horsepower you burn less fuel as you generate less temperature. But if you take more horsepower and you run conservatively, you can end up at the same point, but you've got it for when you need it. It is a key element, absolutely."
Personally, I say just lift the stupid 4 year old engine freeze! We all know Ferrari's been working on their engine anyway :zz:
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 02 Jul 2010, 11:45

Indeed, the engine freeze is silly. It's stifling development and I feel as though aerodynamic spending should be scaled back in favour of more powerful and better engineered engines, which would provide a better show in several ways (blowups, less aero interference meaning more overtaking, the sheer sound of a roaring engine, etc.)

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 02 Jul 2010, 12:47

cformula1 wrote:Indeed, the engine freeze is silly. It's stifling development and I feel as though aerodynamic spending should be scaled back in favour of more powerful and better engineered engines, which would provide a better show in several ways (blowups, less aero interference meaning more overtaking, the sheer sound of a roaring engine, etc.)
Yeah cf1, I totally agree. I've been saying for awhile now that the rules should be taken back to what they were in the early '90's. Keep all the safety stuff up to current specs of course, but bring the regs back to the early '90's as much as possible. In my opinion, the racing was good (there's got to be some reason everyone refers to the '90's as the good old days), there was a great show in seeing how different engines performed (V-8, V-10, V-12), guys racing with MANUAL gearboxes, and, of course, we all know about some of the magnificent cars which emerged from that era (McLaren MP4/6, Williams FW14, FW15C, Ferrari 641...)
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 02 Jul 2010, 18:22

yeah! i agree with both of you. even the brakes IMO need to be made like how they used to be, now the brakes are way too easy to handle IMO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 Jul 2010, 18:24

I've said it time and time again - its the brakes. When you can brake with 80m to go, its more difficult to brake 5m later. Brake at 120m and 5m or 10m later would be brave and a good attempt.

R.?
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by R.? » 04 Jul 2010, 10:45

I was amazed when I watched the Canadian GP. At the end of the backstraight they brake just before the 50m mark. From 310kmh for the chicane! Same in Barcelona at the end of the pit straight. 50 meters before the corner. No wonder Button couldn't get pass Schumacher. Braking distance is too short.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 05 Jul 2010, 16:05

Lotus eyes 15 more staff for F1 team
Lotus is eyeing a few more staff for its burgeoning Formula One team.

An employee joked to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport that the factory in Norfolk is "about as big as the McLaren canteen!".

But it houses 160 staff, with 45 more employees working for Lotus at the Italian Aerolab wind tunnel.

"220 (staff) would be good," said technical boss Mike Gascoyne.

In September 2009, Gascoyne was among the new team's original 4 team members.
OK Guys, be ready I need 14 members from F1zone to help the team :p