More rule changes for 2011

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Super Aguri
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

More rule changes for 2011

Post by Super Aguri » 18 May 2007, 13:52

FIA president Max Mosley has vowed to work in close co-operation with the sport's car manufacturers to ensure that a radical shake-up of Formula One rules for 2011 is a success.

The car makers involved in the sport, as well as Ford and Audi, have all been issued preliminary documents outlining a big overhaul of the sport's regulations to make it more environmentally friendly and relevant to the road car industry.

Next month's edition of F1 Racing reveals that these rules are for a turbo-compounded 2.2-litre V6, to run on bio-fuel and produce around 770bhp.

Maximum revs will be limited to 10,000rpm, and engines would be required to last five Grands Prix. Traction control, four-wheel drive and a 13-second per lap power boost facility are also being considered.

Mosley has said it is vital that such big changes are agreed with the full support of the manufacturers. As autosport.com revealed last weekend, Mosley will begin preliminary discussions about the matter at next weekend's Monaco Grand Prix prior to more serious discussions taking place in June.

Mosley said: "We are in active discussions with the major manufacturers to ensure that in future, research and development relevant only to Formula One will be discouraged, whereas that which has relevance to road car development will be encouraged.

"We understand that such an approach has broad support from the competing manufacturers and we will work closely with them to ensure that, in particular, the new environmentally relevant technologies that many of them are developing are made our priority.

"Whilst aiming to achieve these goals we will ensure that the sporting spectacle of F1 remains the same or is even improved by the new developments."

Autosport.com has seen a summary of the document issued to the manufacturers in Spain last weekend - with the FIA outlining that there is a need to create a 'healthier commercial outlook for the participants by lowering their costs' and 'the need to react to public concern about the environment.'

Although the details of the power train overhaul are not explained in detail, the document makes it clear that other developments on the car will be 'severely constrained.'

Sources have suggested that this regulations could extend as far as there being a single supplier of chassis for F1.

The document said: "This strategy now needs to evolve. How far should the FIA go on each point? The main constraint will be to avoid damage to the emotional attraction of Formula One for its fan base.

"In particular the technical awe of Formula One and its sheer speed must be retained. Step one is to develop a framework for the regulations aimed at fixing the power-train.

"Such a framework is put forward, but at each stage guidance is sought from the manufacturers. A detailed proposal can be drawn up quickly once these points are decided upon.

"This paper focuses on the 2011 power-train regulations only, but lists implications for the chassis, bodywork and sporting rules. Today the power-train is the determining step and must be decided before the remaining regulations can be detailed. "

formulaonemadman
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by formulaonemadman » 18 May 2007, 14:12

v6 now!!! :evil:
and 10000rpm :evil:
engines lasting 5 races :evil:

this is bad but at least they are doing that for environment :mrgreen:
thanks shail69 for the avator!!!

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 18 May 2007, 14:28

so sad, max mosely should be shot in the face

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 18 May 2007, 14:31

BOOOOO.... I'm all about maximizing the potential of a smaller displacement V6, but limiting it to 10k RPM (which is probably for reliability issues) is gonna really change the sound of our beloved F1 cars. Bringing back turbo will have it's reliability problems as well. And four-wheel drive? Interesting... again, drive-train and transmissions issues are just ripe for the break-down. Ohwell.. Hopefully the technology gained will be passed down to us mortals...

Super Aguri
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Super Aguri » 18 May 2007, 14:34

Lets hope they see sense.

Kimi Iceman
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Kimi Iceman » 18 May 2007, 15:56

Damn!

F1 just has to be rear wheel drive. If I want to see 4WD with turbo-engines then I watch the WRC. :evil:

Why does Max always wants to ruin F1?

I mean this years generation of cars with the V10 would be a dream. The cars became notably calmer and less agressive with the V8 engines...

But I don't want to loose this sounds...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 May 2007, 18:41

i think limiting the rpms is the biggest harm to the f1 engines,
it is a hindrance avoiding the modern engines progress.
Max wants to introduce more debilitating and alarming changes. What an unexpected, unforeseen turn of events(Sm16).I believe he's going to change the name of the sport as well: The sport formerly known as Formula 1.

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 18 May 2007, 20:25

Autosport.com has seen a summary of the document issued to the manufacturers in Spain last weekend - with the FIA outlining that there is a need to create a 'healthier commercial outlook for the participants by lowering their costs' and 'the need to react to public concern about the environment.'

Although the details of the power train overhaul are not explained in detail, the document makes it clear that other developments on the car will be 'severely constrained.'
Why not just buy 22 GP2 cars and call it a day?

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 18 May 2007, 22:25

the day motogp will win a race with f1 is getting closer.

XiaoPro
kart driver
kart driver

Post by XiaoPro » 19 May 2007, 08:51

veri soon we will see a roadcar zoomin past an F1 car :shock:

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 19 May 2007, 09:59

XiaoPro wrote:veri soon we will see a roadcar zoomin past an F1 car :shock:
i guess max's wildest dream is to see a reliant regal wins an f1 race.

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 19 May 2007, 10:16

Its awful, why does he have to mess around like that, F1 is ok as it is... I hope people make a fuss about it and it never goes through...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 19 May 2007, 10:32

It's just another rule change. They mess with something every single year. A couple of years ago, they went from 10 cylinders to 8. It's just a matter of time before they completely ruin the sport.

The main reason, so they say, is to keep one team from running away with things. They are basically trying to level the playing field. Since they have changed all sorts of specs and rules, and still haven't seemed able to accomplish this, they have to keep changing things.

billzkid
car driver
car driver

Post by billzkid » 19 May 2007, 10:47

Single chasis :?: :?: Are they mad :?:

I like the biodiesel rule though. We really should put more emphasis on the environment

fingerfish
kart driver
kart driver

Post by fingerfish » 19 May 2007, 12:44

this is just what i'm thinking but if they are really concerned about cost how about limiting every team budget?
say, every team can only use one million pound per season (i know it's impossible with just one million, just quick example) and let them do what they can with that much money. of course, within a set of safety regulation.