Sports Discussion

For all other topics which don't fit into other categories
LadyR

Re: 2010 IIHF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GERMANY

Post by LadyR » 20 May 2010, 19:23

And Germany -Switzerland is currently 1-0

Yeah, I think also that Russia will win. And they will surely reach final on Sunday....

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 20 May 2010, 20:33

Russia won easily 5-2.
I miss a babysitter

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 20 May 2010, 20:38

On saturday semifinal!

Russia vs. Germany
Sweden vs Czech Republic

I can already say, my favorites for the big showdown on sunday evening are Russia and Sweden.

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 21 May 2010, 05:02

Moominpappa wrote:I guess that Sweden and Russia win wihtout problems.
I hope that Finland win, but it will not be so easy but all is in our own hands.
Switzerland and Germany - hmm. Swiss are being better but Germany might cause a surprise.

Next round: Fin - Swe and Rus - Ger
How right I was (well, Finland didn't win, but the game was as tight as I thought) :(

I hope RUS - CZE in final.
I miss a babysitter

moris.green
car driver
car driver

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup™

Post by moris.green » 21 May 2010, 08:39

Friends,I may sound quite optimistic. Anyways I am favoring Mexico to win this world Cup . No doubt they have been placed in one of the toughest Group of the World Cup . I am expecting lot of goals from my adorable striker Carlos Vela.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 21 May 2010, 08:42

Mexico??? There's more chance of London Bridge falling down than Mexico winning the World Cup. Vela is Arsenal's 4th choice striker, he won't be doing much.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 21 May 2010, 08:58

Uruguay has more chance to survive the poule stage, and France will go through anyway. So I say Mexico out in the group stage
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 21 May 2010, 14:28

My fav pic from yesterday! :)

Immonen, Nummelin and Rinne with a young fan! :)

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: Champions League 2009 - 2010

Post by iceman1 » 21 May 2010, 20:55

Fifa refused to cancel Ribery's 3 match ban, he will not play in saturday's champions league final :(

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 22 May 2010, 13:15

Go Bayern! :D

Whoever wins will score the treble :O
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 22 May 2010, 14:58

JoostLamers wrote:Go Bayern! :D

Whoever wins will score the treble :O
Go Bayern, FC BAYERN :D
Eurosport wrote:Champions League - Inter v Bayern: Key battles

1. Julio Cesar v Hans-Jorg Butt

Inter's Brazilian goalkeeper has been inspired throughout the campaign and produced a string of fine saves in the semi-final against Barcelona. The Brazilian has 47 caps for his country and Inter have won the Serie A title every year he has been between the posts.

Butt, who spent much of his career behind Oliver Kahn and Jens Lehmann in the pecking order for Germany, has enjoyed a distinguished season for the Bundesliga champions. However, the 35-year-old looked hesitant in the quarter-final tie with Manchester United, and was not overly tested against Lyon in the last four.

2. Lucio v Ivica Olic

The Brazilian defender has been imperious in Inter's run to the final, and has forged a very assured partnership with Walter Samuel at the heart of Jose Mourinho's defence. With Maicon and Javier Zanetti either side of him, Lucio will be supremely confident of keeping his former side at bay.

Olic has been a very prominent factor in Bayern reaching the Madrid showpiece, and the feisty Croat clearly revels on the big stage. The forward has netted seven times in nine appearances, including crucial goals in both legs against Manchester United at the quarter-final stage.

3. Arjen Robben v Javier Zanetti

Robben (pictured) has been many people's player of the tournament, and the Dutch winger counts a vital strike against United and a screamer to send Fiorentina packing among his four goals in the campaign. In the absence of fellow winger Franck Ribery, Robben will harbour the hopes of all Bayern fans going into the final.

In Zanetti, Inter possess a captain of consummate professionalism and composure. The Argentine has proved his enduring class throughout the tournament, particularly against Barcelona in stifling the runs of compatriot Lionel Messi, and will be on his guard once more in an attempt to thwart Robben.

4. Wesley Sneijder v Mark van Bommel

Sneijder is the jewel in Inter's midfield and the Dutchman has been in inspired form, executing the crucial role in behind Diego Milito and sitting on opposing playmakers. Three goals and five assists have seen the former Real Madrid maestro excel under Mourinho's stewardship, and he will be particularly keen to impress on his return to the Bernabeu.

Van Bommel's contribution to Bayern's progression has been largely underplayed, but the curly-haired midfield 'bomber' unleashed one of his trademark strikes to send his side through when under the cosh against Fiorentina. The skipper adds steel and resilience to complement the guile and pace of Robben et al.

5. Diego Milito v Daniel van Buyten

Samuel Eto'o was expected to lead the line for Inter this season, but the form and consistency of Milito has seen the Cameroonian confined to a starting berth out wide. The Argentine has netted four times and provided clinical finishes at opportune moments in Inter's campaign, while working tirelessly to force opposing back fours deep inside their half, with Eto'o flanking him along with Goran Pandev.

Van Buyten has been exposed on a couple of occasions so far in the competition, most notably against Fiorentina in the last 16, and the imposing defender will have to be at his most commanding to alleviate the danger of Milito and co. The ever-impressive Philip Lahm will be expected to provide generous cover from left-back if Louis Van Gaal's side are to prevail.

phil1993

Re: FA Premier League 2010-11 *Transfer Window Open*

Post by phil1993 » 22 May 2010, 15:55

Blackpool win the play-off final meaning that they are promoted to the Premier League for the first time in their history; the first time they've played in the top division since 1971.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 May 2010, 16:22

Teams participating in the 2010-11 FA Premier League: (09-10 finishing position in brackets)

Arsenal (3rd)
Aston Villa (6th)
Birmingham City (9th)
Blackburn Rovers (10th)
Blackpool (Play off winners)
Bolton Wanderers (14th)
Chelsea (1st)
Everton (8th)
Fulham (12th)
Liverpool (7th)
Manchester City (5th)
Manchester United (2nd)
Newcastle United (1st - Championship)
Stoke City (11th)
Sunderland (13th)
Tottenham Hotspur (4th)
West Bromwich Albion (2nd - Championship)
West Ham United (17th)
Wigan Athletic (16th)
Wolverhampton Wanderers (15th)

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 22 May 2010, 18:20

United won´t buy big once again. The warchest is empty thanks to uncle Malcolm and Fergie is too stubborn to sell Berbaflop and Carrick, although they are not good enough for United (anymore).

They desperately need an attacking midfielder similar to the young Paul SCholes and a backup striker for Wazza in a 4-5-1 formation.

The only signings so far are Chris Smalling from Fulham for 8 million pounds and Javier Hernandez (CHicharito) from Chivas for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around 6-7 million pounds.

IMO United are in big trouble in the next 4-5 years. Some newly rich clubs like City or Chelsea are buying big every summer and United are sitting on their massiv debt, beeing unable to make any big signings at all.

I mean it wouldn´t look that bad, if it wasn´t for Chelsea´s and City´s sugardadys as the United squad is pretty good, but no chance to stop clubs like those two, who can eassily afford to spend 250-300 million pounds a year.

btw: Which club do you support phil?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 May 2010, 18:33

United have quite a good youth academy, they won't be in trouble. Berba will come good I think, look at Nani. Everyone said he was terrible but since Ronaldo has gone, Nani has improved a lot, even if he copies Ronaldo in EVERY way.

I'm relatively impartial to clubs in the Premier League, but I prefer Arsenal to the other clubs. I'm not a huge Arsenal fan, I mean, I don't hate Tottenham and everything about them, just that my Granddad supported Arsenal.

And anyway, Man U will be helped by the fact that Mourinho will take over for 2011-12 :O