Does Alonso expect TEAM ORDERS?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Does Alonso expect TEAM ORDERS?

Post by BANANAGP » 14 May 2007, 18:18

Spanish GP - Sunday - Press Conference
Q: (Paolo Ianieri - La Gazzetta dello Sport) Fernando, is Lewis now a different opponent for you than he was a few races ago?

Alonso: No. I think it is still the same. He is still my team-mate. After one or two races, we saw him become a championship contender and we still see him as one now. In a way, I look at him the same way I look at Kimi or Felipe, opponents for the championship. I have to beat them all if I want to become champion, but he is the one who worries me least because he is my team-mate and we are here to help each other. I worry more about the Ferrari pace than if Lewis is two points ahead of me.

...am I reading too far into this?

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 14 May 2007, 19:09

I'm sure deep down inside a thought or two has occurred in Alonso's head that worry him about Hamilton's abrupt success over-shadowing the reigning champion's status as the #1 driver at McLaren. If McLaren feels as the season progresses that they need to instruct one to yield to the other to further secure the teams hopes for a championship then they will. Right now they are so close in points that Team Orders aren't needed.

Flavio_F1
car driver
car driver

Post by Flavio_F1 » 14 May 2007, 20:59

I think if Massa or Kimi become leaders, and one of the Mclaren´s Pilot fail in some ocasions, Mclaren should choose the other to be the one to dispute the championship. If I remember well, 1986´s championship had Piquet and Mansell taking points from each others, and in the last race, the one who have won was Prost, with a help from his team mate Rosberg.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 14 May 2007, 21:15

I am sure that Alonso is not happy that his rookie team mate is leading him by 2 points. but I do not think that it is such a big problem, although, Hamilton would create some pressure on Nando.

theo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by theo » 14 May 2007, 22:21

yep, he is absolutely not happy that Lewis Hamilton is leading, and i'm sure very soon, the team will start telling alonso to help Lewis win races (just like fisichella did for alonso last year in China, if fisichella didn;t help him, schumacher would have been 1st in 2 points, but fisichella let alonso pass him to become 2nd in china so they would have same points)
GO KIMIIII....

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 15 May 2007, 00:19

I was just surprised that Alonso would make that kind of comment so early in the season and when he's behind in the points to his teammate. And he didn't really bring that much sponsorship with him either... Vodafone, Johnnie Walker are the major sponsors and are all British!

In any event Ron Dennis usually shys away from giving team orders...

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 15 May 2007, 16:13

Vodafone went to Mc laren because Alsono was there, and he brought Santander with him too, which is a big bank in Spain.

julie
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by julie » 15 May 2007, 17:40

I don't think Alonso will ever be happy with Hamilton beating him as he has been racing longer and Hamilton has just joined this season. If he expects Hamilton to move over and let him win thats a completely different story. Even if he does i don't see it happening
ImageImage

athos
car driver
car driver

Post by athos » 20 May 2007, 20:58

Gentlemen,

I think we all know Ron Dennis' management style. He will give orders to his drivers beacuse he needs the constructor championship and because he considers that team orders are the best way to ensure a competitive atmosphere among both drivers and the rest of his crew within the company.

Regards.

Athos

colombian
car driver
car driver

Post by colombian » 20 May 2007, 21:08

He doesn't mean he expects team orders
Williams F1 Team

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 21 May 2007, 00:01

athos wrote:Gentlemen,

I think we all know Ron Dennis' management style. He will give orders to his drivers beacuse he needs the constructor championship and because he considers that team orders are the best way to ensure a competitive atmosphere among both drivers and the rest of his crew within the company.

Regards.

Athos
I was always under the impression Ron was against team orders... i.e Prost & Senna (1989,1990) and Coulthard Hakkinnen (1999)...

jana7i
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by jana7i » 21 May 2007, 05:14

BANANAGP wrote:
athos wrote:Gentlemen,

Regards.

Athos
I was always under the impression Ron was against team orders... i.e Prost & Senna (1989,1990) and Coulthard Hakkinnen (1999)...
DC was a gentelman when it comes to his team and team mate. remember how he moved over to let mika take the lead in AUS after mika lost the lead for a silly pit stop. was it 1998?

alonso wont move over for anyone, but he wants people to move for him. remember when fisi was in fornt of him and alonso started to talk on the team radio, he was shouting to his team to order fisi to move and let him pass.

Scar
car driver
car driver

Post by Scar » 21 May 2007, 08:13

i just happened to see this pic tonight.

_*kimi-Iku*_
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by _*kimi-Iku*_ » 21 May 2007, 12:24

I dont think that Hamilton go help alonso.. because hami its first in the clasification, and he could win the championship.. i dont know what will happen.. butim sure that hamilton won't help alonso.. only if the team rules him.. but i dont believe that..
http://www.kr-iceman.phpbb24.com [Spanish & English Kimi Forum]*
KIMI RAIKKONEN WORLD CHAMPION 2007 *Kovalainen & Hulkenberg - Forever*

butek
car driver
car driver

Post by butek » 22 May 2007, 15:30

yup.. it is natural..