Rally of Turkey 2010

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Rally of Turkey 2010

Post by Moominpappa » 22 Apr 2010, 12:08

Wolfie wrote:Iltalehti 17.4.2010 (paper edition)

RALLYING KEEPS KIMI BUSY NOW

1. Kimi Räikkönen, does rally taste like men's business after three WRC-rallies?

- Of course it tastes. It's really difficult and I still have a lot to learn.

2. Has driving a rally-car already given you big feelings? Can it even be compared to sex?
- Haha, it has nothing to do with that. It is a really difficult and interesting genre though.

3. Did your fist WRC-points in Jordan create screams of joy?
- Not really. Jordan was the most difficult race I have ever experienced in motorsport. And it wasn't exactly any speedy spectacle.

4. How important would it be for you to get on the podium?
- It's one goal. Of course it doesn't happen other than driving a lot but it's like that in every genre - you have to practise. You can't come into rally to just hang around.

5. Have the mistakes you had in the beginning of the season come from overtrying?
- In Sweden yes but in Mexico we lost our spoiler from the rear just before we rolled. I have rolled cars before too so I didn't have time to get scared. There were no mistakes in noting but I have to improve my listening.

6. Are you still shy to use the gas pedal when circumstances are so new and strange?
- Sometimes I get shy if the note is complete and I have a blind hill ahead of me. I have no problems as long as I see the road. I'll get more confidence through experience.

7. What things have changed from the time you started your F1-career at 20 years?
- Of course many things have changed in life and the genre has changed too but mainly my life is about the same as it was back then. I still do the same things.

9. When is it time to start a family?
- Now is not the best time because I'm still so busy. But of course the time of kids come someday.

Mika Wuorela
Istanbul
Here again :)
I miss a babysitter

aivilk
car driver
car driver

Post by aivilk » 22 Apr 2010, 12:21

When you've got nothing, you've got something pure that no one can take away. As soon as you've got
something, some c***'s gonna come and take it off you.

amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by amoljoshi » 22 Apr 2010, 12:50

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 22 Apr 2010, 15:28

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=22 ... ageid=2422
The wrc.com rally review: Turkey

Now that the dust has settled - but not in the skies over Europe - the Rally of Turkey comes into focus. On paper, it was another Loeb victory, another 10 points, another step in the inexorable march towards the Frenchman?s seventh title (Michael Schumacher, beware).

Looking at it more closely, it was the most tightly fought event of the year, as Mikko Hirvonen pointed out.

In fact, the most deserving winner was neither of the two title protagonists: it was probably Citroen Junior Team driver Sebastien Ogier. The 2008 Junior World Rally Champion took the lead on SS3 and then maintained it even on the second day, when he was running first on the road. That traditional handicap was partly negated by the fact that some sections of the stages were on asphalt but this needs to be seen in context. In total only 12% of the 358.84-kilometre competitive route was on tar: Turkey was hardly a genuine mixed-surface event.

Then came SS15, when Ogier?s front-left tyre exploded, forcing him to stop and change it.

What the Rally of Turkey does show is this: the fact that Ogier has lagged slightly behind the established frontrunners on the three previous rallies is because he has less experience, not any less talent. He really is that good, and Dani Sordo - the current incumbent of the second Citroen factory seat - must now be feeling as uncomfortable as a turkey in the run up to Christmas.

Sordo?s cause won?t have been helped by the fact that he threw away a near certain podium place almost within sight of the finish, after he slid wide on a muddy corner of SS21 and broke a suspension wishbone. To add insult to injury, a number of other competitors made the same mistake but used Sordo?s car as a convenient brake.

With stages that were brand new to the World Rally Championship, Turkey was a great leveller that emphasised talent without the background noise of experience. No wonder that Loeb won, and it?s equally no surprise that the real raw talents like Ogier did well too.

If there?s one lesson to be learned though, it is that this year?s championship is even closer than we thought - and it goes back to exactly what Hirvonen said. He made the point halfway through the second day that there were four people who could win the (Loeb, Petter Solberg, himself and Sordo), all of whom were separated by around 15 seconds.

Just think about that for a moment. At this point more than 150 competitive kilometres had been covered and just 15 seconds split the top four. Doing the maths, that?s a difference of just a tenth of second per kilometre. So it?s really a bit misguided to be talking about Loeb domination.

As the man himself said: ?This is a win that gives me a lot of pleasure, because the outcome of the battle was indecisive for a very long time.?

The people who were beginning to write off Kimi Raikkonen will have to think again too. The Finn made a big step forward in Turkey, not only steering clear of mistakes but also pulling away from a few drivers with plenty more experience. Let?s not forget that this was only his ninth-ever rally of any description, and that before Turkey he had only ever completed two gravel rallies in the Citroen. So to set a time in the top 10 on every stage and finish fifth overall was quite an achievement.

Another star in the making seems to be the latest arrival in the Junior World Rally Championship: Thierry Neuville. Despite only testing his Citroen C2 S1600 for 20 kilometres before the start, Neuville was only 7.5 seconds off the lead after day one. Unfortunately a differential failure on the second day, for which there was no spare, deprived him (and us) of the chance to see what the young Belgian could do. His co-driver Nicolas Klinger commented: ?It?s incredible as this was only his second rally on gravel. He?s the real deal, you wait and see...?

Nobody had recourse to any team orders either, after the FIA issued a cleverly worded bulletin before the rally start reminding teams of their obligation to comply with article 151c of the international sporting code, which deals with bringing the sport into disrepute. While this directive in itself does not constitute a rule change, it was the legalistic equivalent of a trick regularly pulled by the Kray twins, the well-known British gangsters of the 1950s. When they wanted to issue what they would have classified as a friendly warning, they used to break into their victims? houses and simply rearrange the furniture. Nothing else. The message normally got through but on this occasion it did not need to, as Citroen boss Olivier Quesnel and M-Sport chief Malcolm Wilson had already initiated a gentleman?s agreement before the start that no such chicanery would take place.

The biggest story of the rally though was nothing to do with the sport: instead it was what was going on in the skies. Given that this is the biggest period of disruption in air travel since the second World War, and that the World Rally Championship by definition works on logistics, it posed a major problem for the competing crews - albeit one that the drivers didn?t have to think about until Sunday afternoon.

Behind the scenes, all sorts of frantic work went on to repatriate more than 500 people from all the various teams. Citroen organised a fleet of buses to take the team back to Paris; a journey of around 39 hours. Ford did the same, with their buses heading all the way up to Cockermouth in northern England.

Ken Block faced a race against time to get back to San Francisco in order to launch his new 650 horsepower ?Gymkhana? Ford Fiesta on Tuesday; a route that took him via Dubai and Seoul on a variety of airlines.

For Loeb and Raikkonen, it was the somewhat less stressful matter of finding a place to land their private planes; but even so it?s hardly what they are used to. Turkey was a rally that will be remembered by everybody for quite some time to come.

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 22 Apr 2010, 15:30

It's just awesome....they are asking Kimi so often about starting a family....there is still a lot of time....he's not old or are 30 years old? :blink: :lol:

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 22 Apr 2010, 15:36

Thanks for all informations!!!!!! :thumbsup:
RTL Klub Fókusz - Exclusive from Rally of Turkey 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCX_5461hpI

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 22 Apr 2010, 18:49

Anelise wrote:Thanks for all informations!!!!!! :thumbsup:
RTL Klub Fókusz - Exclusive from Rally of Turkey 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCX_5461hpI
:shhh: Great, thanks! :)

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 24 Apr 2010, 12:58

Welcome momo!!!!!

Raikkonen "knew that it would be difficult"
http://translate.google.com.br/translat ... l=fr&tl=en

brendakarli
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by brendakarli » 24 Apr 2010, 14:37

I'm finding it strange that people keep asking him when he is gonna start a family too - it's as if if he says he is starting one it means he is gonna retire or something - that he can't have both at the same time, although he did hint several times that it's no use to have children when he's never around to enjoy them. These reporters are a nosy bunch :<>: No wonder he hates dealing with the press :zz:
The JINX

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 24 Apr 2010, 15:28

Anelise wrote:Welcome momo!!!!!

Raikkonen "knew that it would be difficult"
http://translate.google.com.br/translat ... l=fr&tl=en
Thanks Anelise, just noticed this one :thumbsup:

I bought Vauhdin Maailma today and there's a lot about Kimi. Will try and translate it later today :wave:

Brenda, thanks for the pictures :wave:
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 24 Apr 2010, 16:12

Wolfie wrote: I bought Vauhdin Maailma today and there's a lot about Kimi. Will try and translate it later today :wave:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 24 Apr 2010, 16:25

momo wrote:
Wolfie wrote: I bought Vauhdin Maailma today and there's a lot about Kimi. Will try and translate it later today :wave:
I absolutely love your avatar, Momo :hug:

First articles are now translated, I'll put them in the rally news -section :wave:
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 24 Apr 2010, 18:04

Wolfie wrote:
momo wrote:
I absolutely love your avatar, Momo :hug:

First articles are now translated, I'll put them in the rally news -section :wave:
Grazie! :blush: :blush:

:D

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 25 Apr 2010, 11:48

WRC 2010 Ukraine First Automotive TV channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLxwiPbE9Og Kimi 0:18 and 1:44

Ferry gateway WRC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf51GtJEs4g

Vida