Rally of Turkey 2010

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally of Turkey 2010

Post by sleenster » 17 Apr 2010, 16:57

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 17 Apr 2010, 17:13

Whoopsie! *deleted*

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 17 Apr 2010, 17:30

luieluv wrote:
dindi wrote:That was very nice, Luie. And I pretty much feel the same :)
Personally if you ask me, i would love if kimi continues in WRC. I want him to write down his name in the history book. You know what i mean.
Unlike most of Kimi fans here instead of F1 i would want Kimi to continue with WRC.

But F1 is also a tempting and lucrative sport.

Whatever Kimi opts for next year and year after that i would always crave for him in Rally.
I think like this also. I am followed rally since 80s but this year is the most interesting :roll::
I miss a babysitter

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 17 Apr 2010, 17:43

I also followed WRC a bit last year, but in truth I dont think I would really follow it so much if Kimi isn't there. It is very interesting to follow Kimi's progress, especially if you are a Kimi fan. But other then that it is always just Leob who is winning, there really just isn't that much competition to follow in rally nowadays. It is like the Schumacher - Ferrari years only worse.

Linda-Anne
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Linda-Anne » 17 Apr 2010, 18:07

luieluv wrote:
dindi wrote:That was very nice, Luie. And I pretty much feel the same :)
Personally if you ask me, i would love if kimi continues in WRC. I want him to write down his name in the history book. You know what i mean.
Unlike most of Kimi fans here instead of F1 i would want Kimi to continue with WRC.

But F1 is also a tempting and lucrative sport.

Whatever Kimi opts for next year and year after that i would always crave for him in Rally.
I agree with you too Luie I want Kimi to stay with Rally. He is looking the happiest he has been for years you can see that spark back in his eyes. Whatever Kimi does in the future I want to see him happy and fullfilled

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 17 Apr 2010, 18:35

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 17 Apr 2010, 18:38

Drivers enraged by stage changes

By David Evans Saturday, April 17th 2010, 13:39 GMT

The leading drivers in the World Rally Championship have slammed the organisers of the Rally of Turkey for allegedly making alterations to the route for two of this morning's stages.

The drivers claim the route was altered in the Bozhane and Riva tests between the recce and the running of the stages today. Such a move would contravene regulations and the organisers have denied making any changes beyond picking up - by hand - some of the biggest rocks which were lying on the road.

World champion Sebastien Loeb said: "For sure there were changes. I started [SS12] and went through the first right, then 80 metres after that I had a left in fourth gear, but there was no left corner - it was straight, flat out.

"And then after that, in some places they have used something like a snow plough [to clear rocks from the road] which has made some banks at the side of the road. But they were not there [on the recce] so, sometimes the road is turning more and sometimes it is turning less.

"I had a 'cut' in my notes to cut the corner, which I did in fifth or sixth gear and on the exit of the corner was one of these banks. Bang! The car went up in the air and we damaged the sumpguard."

Mikko Hirvonen was also complaining bitterly about the alterations which had been made.

"If the organisers are saying there are no changes to the roads then they are lying and this is stupid," said Hirvonen. "They have been scraping the road. And when they have done that they are making banks at the side of the road.

"My notes were way too fast for the road as it was today. So many places we should have cut the corner and we had to drive around - there were a hell of a lot of changes. After that, I didn't trust my notes at all.

"The teams said if you are going there, then go and pick up the rocks. The organisers said they would just go and pick them up, but they have definitely done a hell of a lot more than that. They changed the stage and told nobody."

Hirvonen had another moment towards the end of the morning's final stage.

"There was a right over crest near the end," he said. "In the recce, everybody was cutting this corner from the left hand side and then cutting into the following junction.

"We asked the organisers whether they would put a fence or anything there to stop us cutting and they said: 'No. You can cut after the crest, but we will block the inside of the junction to stop you cutting there.' Then they did exactly the opposite, which is not nice to find when you come over the crest at rally speed."

Asked about any changes made to the stages, a spokesperson from the organisers said: "We made no changes to the stages. We altered the location of a refuel before the start of SS12, but that's the only difference. We did go through the long stage [SS13] and picked up some of the big rocks by hand, but otherwise there have been no changes."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82989

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 17 Apr 2010, 18:40

17/4/10

Rally of Turkey stage guides - Sunday

Day three in Turkey starts at 1757hrs, when the first car leaves the overnight parc ferme in Pendik. Ahead lie 114.60 competitive kilometres arranged over six special stages.

In the morning, crews will tackle a loop of three consecutive stages in the countryside east of the Service Park before heading back for a 30-minute midday service. In the afternoon crews will repeat the same loop before a 10-minute end of rally service and the finish podium in Pendik at 1611hrs.

Here are our wrc.com stage notes for Sunday's stages. Under the summaries you'll find our list of essential website links to help you follow the rally via the wrc.com live results service.

SS18/SS21: Deniz. 16.76km
Starts by a dam and runs largely through open countryside. The road is flowing and quite quick at the start, then becomes more twisty and technical in the mid-section. Deniz features lots of surface changes, from smooth gravel to rougher sections strewn with sharp rocks. The stage also features some stretches with a soil base. During the recce there were some dried ruts here. If it rains it will be muddy and extremely slippery on the hard-compound tyres.

SS19/SS22: Mudarli. 21.32km
A stage of two halves. the first part is twisty with many surfaces changes, from light to heavy gravel to clay. Then, from a hairpin-left at 12.7km, the stage becomes wider and more flowing on a harder packed gravel base. It’s very fast from here on. The stage won't clean much in the first half but will in the faster section. If it rains on Sunday then the soil base here will be just as muddy as Deniz.

SS20/SS23: Ballica. 19.22km
Another open road and another very fast stage, Ballica sweeps through a valley over numerous huge blind crests. It has a lot in common with Halli - run on Friday as SS4/SS8. Getting the right line over the crests is critical here - so accurate pace notes are essential. There's a two kilometre section of asphalt in the middle of the stage, other than that the surface is generally smoother gravel, so it will clean.

Follow these links to see the Rally of Turkey Start lists, Timetable and Entry List.

Stage and Split times will be beamed here live throughout the competition.
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=10 ... s+-+Sunday

dindi
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by dindi » 17 Apr 2010, 18:47

Thanks, Kriss!

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 17 Apr 2010, 18:55

Raikkonen: I don’t miss Formula One

17th April 2010
By Charlie Contadeli

Former Grand Prix Champion Kimi Raikkonen has said that he doesn’t miss Formula One, before putting in his best-ever performance in a rally car to date.

On the second day of the Rally of Turkey, Raikkonen consistently set top-10 times to end the day sixth overall: the highest he has ever run on a World Rally Championship event.

The rally route took Raikkonen past the Istanbul Park circuit, the scene of his victory in the 2005 Turkish Grand Prix. However, the 30-year-old insisted that he did not miss Formula One and that he was enjoying his new rallying career with the backing of Red Bull.

“If I missed Formula One I would be there, not here,” he said. “This is something I chose for myself and I’m enjoying it. At some point I have to make up my mind about next year, but I’m in no hurry.”

After starting the second day in Turkey from eighth position, Raikkonen made up two places on the toughest day of the event – which co-driver Kaj Lindstrom described as Raikkonen’s best run in a rally car yet.

“It’s certainly the best day we’ve had together,” he said. “I’m very encouraged by the fact that we were able to keep up this sort of pace on stages that were incredibly tough. I always said that it was going to take a bit of time, but Kimi is really learning.”
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/raik ... rmula_one/
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by amoljoshi » 17 Apr 2010, 18:57

dindi wrote:
realms wrote:well i decided to do something ... so here as some numbers ( personally i think its c**p ... bottomline he is steadily improving :) )

dont know how many mistakes i have made ...
Anith, you're a bit of a nerd. And I say that with a whole lot of love and affection :D :hug: Thanks for this!
Yes you can clearly see from the timings that he is getting quicker and quicker. :)

:)

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 17 Apr 2010, 19:38

RAIKKONEN ON SPARKLING FORM IN TURKEY

In Turkey, Kimi Raikkonen led from start to finish. At the beginning, he briefly lost the lead but the flying Finn soon took it back. Conditions were hot, but not as hot as people expected, and although it was Kimi's first time there he put on a dominant performance to win in Istanbul. Victory for Raikkonen!

Actually, what we are talking about here is not the second day of the Rally of Turkey, which came to a close this evening, but Kimi's win at the inaugural Turkish Grand Prix in 2005.

The Iceman's memorable Formula One victory in Turkey was the sixth out of his 18 Grand Prix successes, on a circuit that coincidentally runs right next to the Rally of Turkey route this year. The second day of the rally may not have concluded with champagne for Kimi - particularly as there is another full day of driving to tackle tomorrow - but he was still on sparkling form from start to finish.

In fact, his faultless performance on the second challenging day of the Rally of Turkey was probably just as much of a success as his triumph on the Istanbul Park circuit just under five years ago. For someone who has completed just two World Championship rallies in a World Rally Car, Kimi's progress was nothing short of astonishing. Starting the day eighth, he ended up sixth.

"You can't compare the Turkish Grand Prix with the Rally of Turkey because they are so different, but for me, the rally is definitely more difficult," said Kimi, cutting a cool figure in the service park with his Red Bull cap and trademark sunglasses. "This takes just as much concentration as winning a Grand Prix; in fact maybe more as so many things are new to me. But today was a really good day. We were able to set times that were closer to the guys in front and that's the main thing. What I'm really pleased about is that we could do it without taking big risks. We even stalled a couple of times, so if you take that away then the times are not bad at all. Let's see what happens tomorrow but for now it's going really well and I'm feeling comfortable."

Co-driver Kaj Lindstrom has less experience of winning Grands Prix, but he still knows a good performance when he sees one. "I'd say that today is the best time that myself and Kimi have had in a rally car together so far," he said. "It comes from a lot of things: more time in the car, more confidence, and more practice with the pace notes. Put all those things together and you end up with a pretty good performance, which is what we saw today."

source: Red Bull
http://www.rallybuzz.com/kimi-day-2-rallyofturkey/
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 17 Apr 2010, 19:56

(Graph thanks to vkangas)

LadyR