Rally of Turkey 2010

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally of Turkey 2010

Post by sleenster » 16 Apr 2010, 19:56

Kriss wrote:http://www.rallybuzz.com/redbull-kimira ... -wrc-turk/
DELIGHT IN TURKEY FOR KIMI AND KAJ

Red Bull Rally of Turkey day one report

Mint, cinnamon, pistachio, roses and walnut: all flavours of lokum, which is better known throughout the world as 'Turkish delight'.

These exotic flavours sound considerably more romantic than the fattening reality of the ingredients: starch and sugar. So Turkish delight is not recommended for anybody on a diet. Nor is it a great present for people who are colour blind or have an uncontrollable hatred of traffic lights, given that Turkish delight mainly comes in red, yellow and green varieties.

There are many stories as to how the original sweet was created. One story says that it was commissioned by a Sultan to please his many wives. Napoleon, Pablo Picasso and Winston Churchill are just three of the famous people to have loved this Turkish treasure ever since.

But Kimi Raikkonen doesn't need sugary desserts to feel the delight in Turkey. And it wasn't just Red Bull giving him wings either: a spectacular jump on stage four of the Rally of Turkey launched all the cars several metres into the air. So far, round four of the World Rally Championship has been a breathtaking show.

After a great opening day that concluded with a superspecial in the centre of Istanbul, Kimi ended up in a solid eighth place overall with two tough days of the Rally of Turkey still to go. So he's not drawing any conclusions just yet.

"It's been good today," said the Iceman. "We've really been sticking with the tactic of going at a comfortable speed in order to make sure that we get to the finish and hopefully score some points. Actually, it's really hard to say how the rest of the rally will go because all the days are very different, but the main thing is that we're enjoying ourselves - especially over the big jumps! We've had no problems at all today: on one stage this morning I didn't have such a great feeling, but for only our fourth WRC rally in this car it's going well. There's obviously a lot more to come from us, so it's simply a question of learning."

Kaj Lindstrom, the voice of experience inside the Red Bull car, was also delighted by Kimi's progress in Turkey. "Today was just what we were after: a nice, solid beginning to the rally that sets us up well for the challenge of tomorrow," he said. "I think that's going to be the hardest day of the event, as we've got some really tough roads and long stages. But Kimi is taking everything in his stride: nothing bothers him. Making the switch to rallying is a massive challenge, so he's a brave guy. But I think everyone knew that already!"

source: red bull
:lol: That is giving me a craving for some Turkish delight.

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 16 Apr 2010, 19:58

Moominpappa wrote:Dracaena: did you just watch MTV3 rally review? There was a nice and big poster on the boat where was picture of Kimi and text (about that) we follow always Kimi.
No I didn't watch it, it annoys me how much time they spend showing Anette saying obvious things that don't need saying. I wonder if there's a lot of Turkish Kimi fans ''hmm''.

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 16 Apr 2010, 20:02

Dracaena wrote:
Moominpappa wrote:Dracaena: did you just watch MTV3 rally review? There was a nice and big poster on the boat where was picture of Kimi and text (about that) we follow always Kimi.
No I didn't watch it, it annoys me how much time they spend showing Anette saying obvious things that don't need saying. I wonder if there's a lot of Turkish Kimi fans ''hmm''.
I agree what you say about program. I don't like whole channel. YLE is much better.
I miss a babysitter

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 16 Apr 2010, 20:12

Ken Block (and Henning Solberg) get stumped!
With only about a mile of stage to go, Ken Block and Alex Gelsomino were hard at it on Stage 1, leading both Räikkönen and Wilson, and trailing just four seconds behind Villagra, when the Ford Focus’ front right wheel met abruptly with a particularly stubborn tree stump hiding inconspicuously in a soft bank on the inside of a right-three-minus (medium right turn).

“What really sucks is that I was driving conservative,” says Block. “We weren’t even cutting the turn, just brushing along the bank when we heard a really loud snap,” That snap was the sound of the tie rod shearing at the endlink and the result was not only a car incapable of continuing, but unable to control. Despite his attempts, Block was unable to continue and drove the car off the road. "I wouldn’t have minded if I was going flat out, risking it all, but I was just keeping it smooth…bad luck I guess!”

That bad luck though didn’t just strike the Monster World Rally Team though, a few minutes before Block and Gelsomino ate stump, Henning Solberg hit the exact same one, breaking the same rod and ending up just a few 100 meters down the road, also out for the day. Both will return tomorrow under SuperRally rules to race again, but with some heavy time penalties.

For pics of his crash : http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com/bl ... et-stumped
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Dracaena
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dracaena » 16 Apr 2010, 20:16

Moominpappa wrote:
Dracaena wrote:
I agree what you say about program. I don't like whole channel. YLE is much better.
I think it was Wolfie who said a while back that when the rally coverage was on YLE she hated the rally weekends because then they didn't show pretty much anything but rally (she of course wasn't into rally back then :)). Oh, the good old YLE days of rally, sigh...

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 16 Apr 2010, 20:30

Loeb voices Riva stage concerns
Defending world champion Sebastien Loeb has pointed to Saturday’s Riva test as the stage he fears most on Rally of Turkey.

The stage, which is used twice at the end of each loop of four runs, is the longest of the rally at 27.17 kilometres. However, damage sustained during a cold winter and from recent heavy rain has been repaired with large stones, which drivers fear will create a huge puncture risk, prompting speculation the second pass could be axed from the itinerary.

“I don’t like so much because it’s a question of luck not to have a puncture,” said Loeb who starts day two in fifth overall, 24.9 seconds behind overnight leader Sebastien Ogier. “There are a lot of very fast places with flat corners but if a car pulls a stone out it will be on the road. I don’t like it but what can we do.”

Junior championship leader Aaron Burkart reckoned there was a 98 per cent puncture risk on the stage, which finishes adjacent to Turkey’s Black Sea coastline.

“It’s not the fault of the Pirelli tyres because there is nothing you can do when you have stones this big,” said the German. “If you start to be careful you will hit the stones anyway and it will be just luck if you don’t get a puncture.”

Kevin Abbring, currently third in the JWRC standings, added: “Saturday is more about surviving than pushing.”

Rumours that the second pass of the Riva stage will be scrapped have already begun to circulate although there has been no confirmation from the event organisers. One leading engineer said: “The stage was difficult enough on the recce, especially for the small cars. Some of the teams have already spoken to the clerk of the course because they think it will be a real problem tomorrow on the second pass.”
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/loeb ... _concerns/
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 16 Apr 2010, 20:31

PETTER SOLBERG HAPPY WITH HIS START TO TURKEY
Istanbul, Turkey — With the first day of the 2010 Rally of Turkey completed, Petter Solberg and Phil Mills sit 4th in the overall classification. The crew is only 18 seconds behind the rally leader and have a perfect position for tomorrow. Sebastien Ogier is the overnight leader followed by Dani Sordo in second and Mikko Hirvonen in third.

Petter and Phil were fastest through three of today's stages and not many seconds behind on the others. Both Henning Solberg and Ken Block had to retire with a broken steering arm on the first stage of the rally.

"I am very happy with the day first day here in Turkey, everything has been as planned, says Petter Solberg. Did a couple of small mistakes and lost some time, but that really doesn’t matter. I’d rather loose some seconds than risk anything. Tomorrow will be more thrilling, especially on the first stage with both tarmac and gravel."

Eight more stages are to be competed tomorrow totaling 146 competitive kilometers. The first stage has only 4,7km of gravel with the remaining 13,52km on tarmac. All cars will be on gravel tires. Ogier will be the first car on the road starting at 0956 (local time). Petter will be running 4th on the road Saturday.

Overall Classification, Day 1 Rally of Turkey

1. S Ogier/J Ingrassa FRA Citroen C4 55m32.7s
2. D Sordo/M Marti ESP Citroen C4 +5.5
3. M Hirvonnen/J Lehtinen FIN Ford Focus RS +12.2
4. P Solberg/P Mills NOR Citroen C4 +18.5
5. S Loeb/D Elena FRA Citreon C4 +24.9
6. J-M Latvala/M Anttila FIN Ford Focus RS +27.5
7. F Villagra/J Diaz ARG Ford Focus RS +1:42.9
8. K Raikkönen/K Lindstrom FIN Citroen C4 +1:50.6
9. M Wilson/S Martin GBR FordFocus RS +2:04.6
10.O Tannak/K Sikk EST Mitsibushi Lancer +4:59.1
http://www.worldrallysport.com/node/6109

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 16 Apr 2010, 22:07

ish678
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ish678 » 16 Apr 2010, 22:12

Wow! you guys have been busy! I've just read through what's been happening today because I couldn't get online and I'm so happy to see Kimi doing brilliantly :) I like this current tactic of just going at a steadier pace to make sure he finishes and understand the car better. Hopefully, he can go flat out in later rallies and unleash even more speed! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the updates - I would be lost without all the info :thumbsup:

kracer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kracer » 16 Apr 2010, 23:02

Just woke up to find out that Kimi was 5th on SS9, even faster than Sordo and Hirvonen. Awesome! !yahoo:

I hope Kimi does as well or even better today :pray:

I'm now worried about that Riva stage. :fear:
ish678 wrote:Wow! you guys have been busy! I've just read through what's been happening today because I couldn't get online and I'm so happy to see Kimi doing brilliantly :) I like this current tactic of just going at a steadier pace to make sure he finishes and understand the car better. Hopefully, he can go flat out in later rallies and unleash even more speed! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the updates - I would be lost without all the info :thumbsup:
Me too. ish! :cool:

I have class again today so will be back here late again to join you guys. Bummer! :<>:

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 16 Apr 2010, 23:23

(Graph thanks to vkangas)

luviceman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by luviceman » 16 Apr 2010, 23:25

Oh what a progress Kimi is making!!! thank you Boudica :)

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 17 Apr 2010, 04:22

Raikkonen flies in Turkey: residue melts
( motorsport-magazin.com ) The first World Cup points in the Rally of Jordan seem to have inspired Kimi Raikkonen. Also on the first day in Turkey Finn is the number 8 on price points.

"It was a good day," said the Citroen Junior. "We have applied the tactic to ensure that we finish the race and hopefully get a few points." Apart from a slight damage to the rear of the Citroen after a Felsberührung there were no problems to report.

"It's hard to say how goes the rest of the rally," said Raikkonen. "All days are very different, but the important thing is that we have fun - especially with the big jumps!" These carry the Finn and his co-pilot in the air several meters. "On a special stage, I had not such a great feeling, but as this is our fourth straight WRC rally car at this time, everything is going well."

Co-driver Kaj Lindström described Friday as nice, solid start to the rally, which is precisely what we had planned. Even when you make pace notes progress, said Raikkonen. "We've made a few adjustments. The gap to the top riders will be consistently smaller." He would like to continue.

"Saturday will be the hardest days," says Lindström. "There are some hard roads and long tests. But Kimi takes it loose: Nothing brings him from the rest."

After all, the Iceman in Turkey already won once, but in Formula 1 with McLaren Mercedes - and without large jumps in the car.
http://www.auto.de/magazin/showArticle/ ... d-schmilzt

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 17 Apr 2010, 05:25

thanks for the info lui! So this Riva stage can cause a heart-attack for us twice :pray:

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 17 Apr 2010, 05:32

Kriss wrote:thanks for the info lui! So this Riva stage can cause a heart-attack for us twice :pray:
Yeah.. And to add the tension, this is the longest stage of this rally...
And if loeb says that you would need some luck then we better start praying too..

Lets hope Iceman conquers this one. :pray: :pray: