Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Rally News

Post by Ice-Ludy » 12 Apr 2010, 16:46

dindi wrote:Obrigada, Ludy (and thanks to Ladora)! That was lovely :) Some writing chops that LadySnowcat person's got there!

Commiserations to the Poles :(
You're welcome Dindi!!!! :O
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 12 Apr 2010, 16:48

Latvala gets Nurburgring race outing
12th April 2010
By Richard Rodgers

Jari-Matti Latvala will contest next month’s Nurburgring 24 Hours in a Ford Focus RS prepared by a team of students from the University of Cologne.

The Ford World Rally Team’s number two got his first taste of the demanding 24.4-kilometre Nordschleife circuit during the second round of the VLN Endurance Championship last Saturday, which also marked his circuit racing debut.

“The circuit demands the utmost respect but I found the experience to be thrilling,” he said after his outing.

Although he had never taken part in a circuit race until the weekend, Latvala, who isn’t renowned for his Tarmac driving prowess, has some experience of driving on race circuits when he received asphalt driving tuition from multiple Finnish saloon car champion Olli Haapalainen a few seasons ago.

Ford hopes the round-the-clock race will help the 25-year-old’s preparations for the upcoming WRC asphalt events in Bulgaria, Germany, France and Spain.

“With every kilometre of the Nordschleife, Jari-Matti’s experience with this kind of surface will grow,” said Ford of Europe motorsport chief Gerard Quinn. “That could really help him when he comes to the tricky asphalt rallies later in the WRC season.”

Latvala finished third in Saturday’s practice outing alongside Daniela Schmid and Anja Wassertheurer. Stefan Schlesack will complete the four-driver line-up for the 24-hour event on May 15-16.
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/latv ... ce_outing/
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 12 Apr 2010, 19:55

Q&A with Sebastien Loeb

The 2010 season’s got off to a good start for you with a second place and then two victories. You’ve already built up a good lead...
That makes me smile as some said that my second place in Sweden showed a drop in motivation on my part! Just so as there’s no misunderstanding, I have no intention of stopping the clock at fifty-six victories. What’s interesting is that the 2010 season doesn’t boil down to a duel between Mikko Hirvonen and me. There’s also Jari-Matti Latvala, who now seems able to combine speed and consistency, as well as Petter Solberg and Sébastien Ogier. They’re all able to fight at the front and that includes Dani too. For the moment that plays in my favour but it could also make my job more difficult.”

Rally Turkey is being held on a new route. What does that change for you?
“I’m going to have to concentrate a lot more during reconnaissance. When we’ve got our old notes and the route hasn’t changed all that much in relation to the previous event, I know where the major traps and bumps are and I don’t have to worry too much. In this case, we just fine-tune the details. When we reconnoitre a stage for the first time it’s a lot more complicated. At 70 km/h (NB: in reconnaissance, the speed is limited and checked by GPS), I have to try and imagine at what speed we’ll arrive there in the race to note the corners and the bumps. First time through in the rally we always give ourselves a bigger scare than usual! So it’s preferable to allow yourself a bit more leeway and then correct the notes for the second run.”

Once again sweeping will be a sore point...
“Yes, and I don’t like that very much. It’s a shame that all the attention is focused on this aspect rather than on the battle between the crews. My point of view hasn’t changed for over two years. I think that reversing the running order of the first fifteen on the second and third days is the best solution. There are no calculations to be made and everybody has to push from start to finish. The idea of using the shakedown as a form of qualifying to allow the drivers to choose their starting order makes sense too. Whatever! I just hope that the FIA will soon modify the regulations to give everybody a level playing field.”
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=10 ... stien+Loeb

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 13 Apr 2010, 21:14

KIMI'S CURRENT PACE IS ONE SECOND BEHIND THE LEAD

Turun Sanomat 13.4 2010 22:00:16

Kimi Räikkönen fought his first WC-points in Jordan. In the demanding race the Finnish driver lost only two seconds per kilometer to the lead on those stages he made without mistakes.

Are those 2 seconds then the difference that Räikkönen should catch if he is going to drive for podiums at some stage?

– Jordan's rally was Kimi's most difficult rally. His absolute goal was to finish the rally and under those conditions he had to set his pace accordingly. During previous rallies the difference on the best stages have been 0,8-1 seconds to the lead. That is the real situation at this point, Steve Robertson told Turun Sanomat.

To whom will Räikkönen compare his pace then - Sebastien Loeb or Sebastien Ogier?

– Loeb. Kimi always compares himself to the fastest driver, Robertson emphasises.

Learning period in the spotlight

How has the ex-F1 driver's season taken off according to his manager?

– What is on top of my mind is that rallying is so different from F1. Kimi has had to learn extremely much in an extremely short period of time.

– Rallying on top level requires a completely different driving style than track-driving which Kimi has in his backbone. It takes time to understand everything that is required on the top of rally and unfortunately Kimi can't do it in all peace, as a F1-Champion he has to do it while being in the center of all attention.

Robertson believes that with Räikkönen's persistance and determination he will go far in rally too.

– It's absolutely sure that Kimi will become a really fast driver in rally too, Robertson assures.

Räikkönen hasn't thought about next year yet.

– It's time for it only after a few months, Robertson hints.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

ish678
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ish678 » 13 Apr 2010, 21:21

Thanks Wolfie :)

All this positivity is brilliant and it's so great to hear all the support Robertson gives to Kimi :thumbsup:

Anelise
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Anelise » 13 Apr 2010, 22:01

Thanks Nicole!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 13 Apr 2010, 22:02

MONKEYS FROM THE BACK

Turun Sanomat 5.4 2010 21:48:25

The Easter weekend's theme is torment and suffering. The weekend was quite a torment and suffering also for the top names in motorsporting. Even the energy drink F1-team had got so much in their wings that giving the slogan of giving wings felt almost hilarious.

Christian Horner thanked that the heavy monkey fell off the whole team's shoulders. The biggest sighs of relief came from Vettel and Adrian Newey who has again designed the fastest but also an unreliable car.

In addition to the mental torment Sepang's track and heat also offer a really rough physical torment - both for drivers and cars.

It was also hot like in a sauna in Jordan rally. There Sebastien Loeb celebrated his victory but Citroen's team managment did get a stain from the weekend. The noble sporting spirit was buried into the desert sand.

Loeb had a chance to remind before the rally that he is not to be talked about as rally's Schumacher although he is coming closer to his 7th championship.

You can't help but compare when putting down Sebastien Ogier has the same similarities as Rubens Barrichello in Austria GP where he got the team order to let Schumacher by him and win for the sake of the 'championship' already in the early GPs of the season.

Kimi Räikkönen got his own monkey to fall off his back in Jordan Rally since he finished the whole rally with honour and also scored his first WRC-points. After 8th position the starting positions are much less tormenting in Turkey.

The only one better than Räikkönen has been Carlos Reutemann who got 12 GP-victories and also two 3rd positions in Argentina's WRC-rallies.

Heikki Kulta

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 14 Apr 2010, 06:10

Subaru Returns to WRC With Announcement of WRX STI Spec C Homolgation

Link:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010 ... ation.html
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

apple
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by apple » 14 Apr 2010, 13:46

Btw just saw a video about Tommi Mäkinens "workshop". It isnt workshop , its huge ,modern factory. He gets his Subarus straight from Japan and at the factory they practicly take the car to its pieces and build it again to N-group rally car. He said they dont use european Subarus because they are heavier.
Interesting to see if his dream to build up a WRC team will come true. It doesnt depend on his facilities.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 14 Apr 2010, 15:52

apple wrote:Btw just saw a video about Tommi Mäkinens "workshop". It isnt workshop , its huge ,modern factory. He gets his Subarus straight from Japan and at the factory they practicly take the car to its pieces and build it again to N-group rally car. He said they dont use european Subarus because they are heavier.
Interesting to see if his dream to build up a WRC team will come true. It doesnt depend on his facilities.
That's interesting to hear, Apple.

He might do well in the WRC-serie.

One thing is weird... One might think that Red Bull would have heaps of Kimi-gear but from what I understand they aren't selling any of those - they should know how popular they would be :huh:

So maybe this really is a year of fun for him? And it's back to business next year?

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 14 Apr 2010, 18:25

Wolfie wrote: So maybe this really is a year of fun for him? And it's back to business next year?
:pray:

Moominpappa
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Moominpappa » 14 Apr 2010, 18:57

It seems that I am the only one who likes more if Kimi continue driving Rally next year than go back to F1.
I miss a babysitter

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 14 Apr 2010, 21:26

Moominpappa wrote:It seems that I am the only one who likes more if Kimi continue driving Rally next year than go back to F1.
Not the only one, Moominpappa, not the only one ;)

I wouldn't mind at all to have him stay in rally. Even the thought of the press and everything else makes me go :( :fear: :<>:

I wonder who they will pick on now when Kimi is gone? Schumacher gets a lot of uncalled negative writings in the press :(

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 14 Apr 2010, 21:30

Wolfie wrote: I wouldn't mind at all to have him stay in rally. Even the thought of the press and everything else makes me go :( :fear: :<>:
Yeah, at least now we can have a rest... It's much less stressful being a Kimi fan in these days, for sure. Kimi's having fun and so do we! :thumbsup: We are taking a sabbatical with Kimi! :lol:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 14 Apr 2010, 21:32

Kinga wrote:
Wolfie wrote: I wouldn't mind at all to have him stay in rally. Even the thought of the press and everything else makes me go :( :fear: :<>:
Yeah, at least now we can have a rest... It's much less stressful being a Kimi fan in these days, for sure. Kimi's having fun and so do we! :thumbsup: We are taking a sabbatical with Kimi! :lol:
Well said, Kinga :shhh: