Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix 2010

Season 2010 - Reports, photos, quotes, stats, interviews, gossips, and hot discussion.

Who will win the 2010 Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix?

Poll ended at 17 Apr 2010, 16:51

Felipe Massa
6%
Fernando Alonso
10%
Sebastian Vettel
45%
Jenson Button
3%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
Lewis Hamilton
19%
Robert Kubica
8%
Mark Webber
3%
Adrian Sutil
No votes
Michael Schumacher
3%
Vitantonio Liuzzi
2%
Rubens Barrichello
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 62

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix 2010

Post by megasyxx » 08 Apr 2010, 13:56

sdutt wrote:
peany wrote: 2. Who will win the race?--schumi
3. Will Michael Schumacher finish ahead of teammate, Nico Rosberg?--Nope
If Schumi wins the race, how will he finish behind Nico? :D
:rofl: :laugh1: :C: maybe it's ralph

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 08 Apr 2010, 14:07

megasyxx wrote:
sdutt wrote:
peany wrote: 2. Who will win the race?--schumi
:rofl: :laugh1: :C: maybe it's ralph
WOW! Ralf leading in a USF1 vintage edition (the one in the pic which Phil showed , where we could only see the 4 tyres) :lol:

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 08 Apr 2010, 16:16

Personally, I've always hated the Chinese circuit. It looks terrible on TV, and it's far too technical for the drivers so it spreads the field out horribly so no one can pass. Aside from my personal bias, M. Schumacher did take his last GP win here, so I would not be too surprised if he can find some inspiration. One of the Red Bulls (probably Vettel) will almost certainly take pole, and if it rains like last year, expect the polesitter to win, because as I said before, no one can pass even in the dry on this track.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 08 Apr 2010, 17:05

yeah china gp only good race when it rains, 06,07 and 09 all rain and great races, but other years boring like hell, so if it will be sunny then u know whats waiting for us... except ferrari and mclaren will start from the back

[FIN]SpeedFreak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by [FIN]SpeedFreak » 08 Apr 2010, 18:28

1. Who will take pole? I hope that either Hamilton or Button, but I think it's going to be Webber or Vettel, I say Vettel.
2. Who will win the race? Vettel to this too, still hope that either of McLaren drivers. But lets admit the reality... So that's why I say Vettel.
3. Will Michael Schumacher finish ahead of teammate, Nico Rosberg? Nope, not yet. Maybe when F1 comes to Europe...
4. Will either of the Virgin cars finish the race? Maybe...
5. Will ALG continue his performance and score more points for STR? I don't think so, last race was so scramble because of that quali, so I don't think so.

Flag:##

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 08 Apr 2010, 19:53

China is decent in the wet, but absolutely awful in the dry. Hence why I believe that sprinklers should be trialed at Shanghai as a way of spicing up the action.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 09 Apr 2010, 08:58

i think GOD is listening to us f1 fans :) - but that can still change :(

peany
car driver
car driver

Post by peany » 09 Apr 2010, 12:43

sdutt wrote:
peany wrote:1. Who will take pole?---Vettel
2. Who will win the race?--schumi
4. Will either of the Virgin cars finish the race?--Nope
5. Will ALG continue his performance and score more points for STR?--Nope
imagination :O

LadyR

Post by LadyR » 09 Apr 2010, 19:59

As a Massa supporter in F1, I voted for him, I think (and hope), that Ferrari will perform in Shanghai much better than in Malaysia and Felipe is leading the championship now, what's fantastic and so I wish, that he will bring Chinese victory home! :D

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 09 Apr 2010, 20:06

i think its finaly time for lewis to win a gp

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 09 Apr 2010, 21:03

I would love it it Hamilton took a win, but I'm more eager to see Schumi do well finally. However, I don't think that will happen until we get to Europe.
Last edited by Ferrariman60 on 10 Apr 2010, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

suomenlintu
car driver
car driver

Post by suomenlintu » 09 Apr 2010, 22:25

1. Who will take pole? Alonso.
2. Who will win the race? I'm going for Vettel.
3. Will Michael Schumacher finish ahead of teammate, Nico Rosberg? hmm, yeah. *positive vibes*
4. Will either of the Virgin cars finish the race? Yes, Glock!!
5. Will ALG continue his performance and score more points for STR? again yes.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Apr 2010, 17:54

Williams Preview - YallaF1.com
Spoiler:
AT&T Williams preview the forthcoming Chinese Grand Prix to take place at the Shanghai International Circuit on the weekend of 16 to 18 April 2010.

Sam Michael, Technical Director: After the issues we faced in Malaysia, we’re heading to China with a clear target of improving our performance. There are several key areas which we obviously need to concentrate on. Firstly, weneed to ensure that both drivers make it into the top ten again in qualifying in order to give them the best possible chance of scoring some needed points in the race. We also need to work on our starts.We have resolved the problem that Rubens had on the grid, and we will be carrying out a series of starts practices during the Friday sessions. In terms of car developments, we have been working hard on producing some aero improvements for the front and rear wings for Shanghai.

Rubens Barrichello: Shanghai is a really interesting circuit. It has a good combination of corners and that really long straight at the end of the lap which is perfect for overtaking. To hook up a quick lap, the car requires more aero strength, rather than mechanical, but an exact blend of the two which is always quite difficult to achieve. Together with the fact that the lap is also quite long with lots of different variables, setting up the car perfectly is hard work. I won the first race at Shanghai which is very special for me. I will always remember that win as it makes me think I can always do it again.

Nico Hulkenberg: Like Malaysia, I’ve previously raced in China; two seasons ago in A1 GP. It’s good to go to a Grand Prix with experience of the track. You can do as much training in the simulator as you want, but it doesn’t beat real, on track experience. The circuit isn’t one of my favourites, it’s very impersonal, but it does have a very long back straight which will be a good place for overtaking. Keep an eye out for that during the race as there should be some good action round that part of the lap. I am flying out to China on Monday, there’s no need to go out to this race early to acclimatise, but I do want to check out some of the sights as the city is quite cool. I’ll definitely be taking a trip to the Bund and the Oriental Pearl tower in nearby Pudong Park.
Mercedes GP Preview
Spoiler:
The 2010 Formula One World Championship continues next weekend with the fourth round, the Chinese Grand Prix, taking place at the Shanghai International Circuit on Sunday 18 April.

Nico Rosberg: “Shanghai is a good track which is an enjoyable challenge for the drivers. The two long straights provide some decent overtaking opportunities and there’s a great mix of corners, particularly the high-speed sections. The weather will be colder in Shanghai than at the previous three races and can be quite unpredictable so it should be an interesting weekend. The fans in China are so enthusiastic and Shanghai itself is a great city so I always enjoy our annual visit. Achieving my first podium with the team in Malaysia at the last race was fantastic and I’m looking forward to continuing our consistent run of good results in China next weekend.”

Michael Schumacher: “The enthusiasm for Mercedes-Benz and the support of the fans is very big in China so we have an attractive race ahead of us in Shanghai next weekend. I am confident that the fans will not leave the race disappointed. We looked quite reasonable in Malaysia at the last race and maybe things will play into our hands again in Shanghai. I am looking forward to the race and fully enjoying the competition again. Admittedly the last two races have not been very fortunate for me but I am very much aware of the reasons for it. I know how things go in F1 and if you look into the detail of the two races, I think everything is still going according to plan. You can only improve step-by-step and I am confident that we are achieving this.”

Ross Brawn: “Achieving our first podium of the season with Nico was very rewarding in Malaysia at the home race of our title partner PETRONAS and a timely boost for the team. Michael also had a strong weekend and is getting more up to speed with every race although circumstances beyond his control limited his race performance in Melbourne and Sepang. We hope to continue these signs of improvement in China and it would be particularly good for Michael to be able to have a clean race and show the progress that he has made since the start of the season. On an operational level, the team has performed very well over the three races and did a good job during Nico’s race in Malaysia to record one of the quickest pit stops of the season. Our car has been reliable, with the exception of the wheel nut problem in Malaysia, and I am very pleased with the performance of our drivers. We’ve achieved a reasonable set of results which are in line with the car’s current pace but we have to be realistic and acknowledge that we are not quick enough to compete right at the front at the moment. This is obviously not a situation that we are happy with and we are working as hard as possible to close the gap.”

Norbert Haug: “The Chinese Grand Prix has taken place since 2004 and is one of the most recognised events on the Formula One calendar. China is a very important market for Mercedes-Benz as, for example, we sell more S-class cars there than in any other country of the world. The circuit located outside of Shanghai features lots of challenges for the car, drivers and team. There are fast curves as well as tight corners and two hairpins, one close to the start and finish of the lap. For Shanghai, the long-term weather forecast doesn’t predict a probability of rain as was the case for the last race in Malaysia. But one way or the other, we will try to achieve a good result and in addition to improve our technical package step by step for the next races.”
Mclaren Preview
Spoiler:
Vodafone McLaren Mercedes preview the forthcoming Chinese Grand Prix to take place at the Shanghai International Circuit on the weekend of 16 to 18 April 2010.

Jenson Button: “Last year, they moved the race from the end of the season to the start, and the weekend was quite a bit colder and wetter than it had been before. The weather forecast doesn’t currently suggest this year’s event will be any different – but I’m optimistic that we’ll have a dry weekend and a more straightforward race than we did last year.

Nonetheless, it’s a track I enjoy: it’s a typical modern circuit – it has a real mix of corners, but it manages to combine some quite precise and technical sections with some faster corners and long straights. It’s a good drivers’ circuit while also being a place that benefits from a well-balanced car.

I think I’ve made some real progress in that area, though. I wasn’t completely happy with the balance of the car in Malaysia, so I spent a day back at the McLaren Technology Centre looking at how we could have done things differently in Sepang while also looking ahead to Shanghai.

Along with my engineers, I think we’ve developed an even better understanding of the MP4-25. We know how to fine-tune the car’s balance and how to develop it over a race weekend. Of course, it’s a continuous process, but the overall feeling is that we’re moving forwards – which, again, is always a positive.”

Lewis Hamilton: “It’s hard to believe that we’re heading into the fourth race of the year – the races have gone by so quickly. After Malaysia, I had a little bit of time to reflect on the year so far, and I’m pleased with the results that Jenson and I have been able to achieve in some challenging circumstances. And I’m really looking forward to an uninterrupted weekend in China so we can focus on racing and competing with the other leading teams in the championship.

I really enjoy driving here – I drove one of my best races here in 2008, winning from pole position. After three races, we’ve been satisfied with our race pace, and we feel comfortable that we’ll be up at the front. Overtaking is possible at this circuit, particularly at the end of the long back straight, so I’m pretty confident we’ll have another competitive weekend.

Finally, of all the places we visit around the world, I think the Chinese fans are some of the most passionate and dedicated. They’ve really supported me over the years and I look forward to meeting them again when I arrive in the city.”

Martin Whitmarsh, team principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes: “By our own very high standards, we’ve not fully met our very high expectations in the first three races, despite having what we feel is the necessary race pace to compete at the front and despite having won the Australian Grand Prix. That might sound overly self-critical, given that we are second in the constructors’ championship, and given that Jenson and Lewis are both close to the top of the drivers’ championship, but that’s merely a reflection of the fact that we at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes aim to excel at all times.

So I regard that objective as a positive: it’s our desire to improve and to eliminate mistakes from the operation that will make us stronger championship contenders. There’s no denying that our successes – Jenson’s integration into the team, his win in Melbourne, and some of the greatest drives of Lewis’s career – have given us a great early-season boost. Now we are looking to establish ourselves as consistent challengers at the front, and to pick up the maximum available points on a regular basis.

One of the greatest qualities of this team is its considerable strength in depth. After establishing a strong and solid start to the season, we’re confident that we’ll become an even more formidable contender as we head into China and then the start of the European season.”
Sauber Preview
Spoiler:
With the Chinese Grand Prix taking place on 18th April in Shanghai, the team is preparing for its next trip to Asia. It will be the first race with new Technical Director James Key on board.

Pedro de la Rosa: “The Shanghai Circuit is one I really like and enjoy. The last time I raced there was in 2006 and I finished fifth. It is a good track with a very long straight and nice overtaking opportunities. Overall the circuit has a great variety of corners, including hard braking for a hairpin and other corners which flow nicely. We are working hard on improving the performance of our car. There are 16 races to go, so the season isn’t over by any means. Looking at the reliability I’m quite relaxed. What happened in Malaysia was extremely unlucky and will not happen again.”

Kamui Kobayashi: “I’m very excited to be racing in Shanghai for the first time in Formula One. I had a good weekend there with GP2 Asia in October 2008. I was second on the grid, set the fastest race lap and just missed winning after a safety car period. The circuit is very nice and the grandstand is really impressive. Actually I like the hard braking before the hairpin after the long straight. I feel it will be difficult for us in Shanghai, but I’m looking forward to the challenge. I generally like racing in Asia, and with Japan not being that far away I usually see more fellow countrymen there than in Europe. Shanghai as a city is an exciting place too, but unfortunately we don’t get to see much of it as the track is pretty far away from its centre.”

Technical Director James Key: “I’m looking forward to the first race with the team. I arrived in Hinwil after the Easter weekend and met a lot of people. I got a very good impression of what’s going on. There is obviously work to be done, but the spirit within the team and the motivation are very high. What is now beginning to emerge is the direction we need to go in. Everyone is pushing very hard, and we are making plans at the moment on the direction we should go in the future to keep developing. I haven’t been to the track this year, so it’s going to be interesting to see how things are run, learn a bit about the tyres and talk to the drivers. It will be the first time I see the C29, so it will be good to have a close look at it along with Willy Rampf and go through it in detail.”

“As far as the circuit is concerned, it’s a fairly similar downforce level to what we have experienced on the past three circuits. It’s another purpose built track with some interesting features. There’s a very long straight, therefore downforce is a compromise. It’s a fairly high grip track, which might mean taking a little bit of wing off. Braking stability and traction are very important, and you have those two snail like corners which are tricky for the drivers. We have to see how the cars and the tyres deal with it. We hope for the best and will try to get some points.”

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 10 Apr 2010, 18:46

I really hope it rains. Rain would be excellent. Otherwise it is a boring race.

Is anyone gonna really bet against Red Bull taking pole?
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 11 Apr 2010, 16:38

satellite imagery around the east asian region:

Shanghai Int'l Circuit coordinates: (31° 20' 20.5" N, 121° 13' 13.6" E)

lots of rain clouds at the moment, likely dry the next 2 or 3 days. possibly more rain clouds coming this weekend.....