2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2010 Pre-Season Discussions: Driver Line-ups, News and Misc

Post by blizzard » 06 Mar 2010, 16:32

Nice video and Lisa Lilley is quite hot for a scientist. And how old is she? 25? And already a doctor degree....wow.
Shell have always been the best in F1. They dominated the 80´s with McLaren and the Naughties with Ferrari.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 07 Mar 2010, 14:35

David Coulthard on 2010 Season

"...I don't think Michael would've come back under any other circumstance than Ross Brawn running the show. They know each other as intimately as two heterosexual men can..."

:lol:
Spoiler:
On paper, this year should be one of the most competitive seasons for many years. When I look back, I think of the late 1980s – Piquet, Mansell, Prost and Senna – in terms of the number of proper teams with great drivers, all with a chance of winning.

From a nationalistic view, you've got an all-German team at Mercedes up against an all-British team at McLaren. You've got Michael Schumacher coming back, Ferrari with Fernando Alonso pairing up with Felipe Massa, and the two most recent world champions – Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton – going toe-to-toe. Add Red Bull into the mix, with Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber, and then consider that only one of them will be first at the end of the season. It's going to be fun finding out who that is when the music stops.

THE KEY FACTORS

We've had relatively stable aerodynamic rules for a year now, especially in light of the clarification over the double diffuser. The narrowing of the front tyres will inevitably have a small effect, and when you work in F1 you live off exploiting tiny details like that.

The big change is the refuelling ban. All of my grand prix career was in a refuelling era, and I would have loved to have experienced that transition of balancing your car, brakes, tyres etc from 170kg down to racing with what you've got left at the end. The contrast from low-fuel qualifying to starting the race on full tanks, and relatively cold tyres and brakes, is a massive difference.

That first corner in Bahrain is going to be worth watching! Most of the drivers have never had to deal with that before.

I once tested for Williams at Estoril on full tanks. I came straight back in, after just a couple of laps, convinced something had broken. Then it was explained to me: "That's what a full tank feels like."

Nigel Mansell was using an even smaller steering wheel than I was around that time, and I could hardly bloody turn the thing!

One topic I picked up on at Barcelona last week was that drivers are not enjoying the full-tank tests, where they're forced to lap four to five seconds off the pace, but the smart ones will see this as an opportunity to steal crucial tenths of a second in this phase.

It's such a different challenge. Instead of simply sprinting with 50kg worth of fuel, you have to manage tyres and brakes every lap. The driver called the tyre strategy more than the pitwall in those days, and you could take a punt with fresh rubber, which might gain you places in the final reckoning.

There will be times in a grand prix where the fastest car in the field, whether that's on high fuel or low fuel, will be out of its sweet spot in terms of its tyre use. There should also be more room for driver errors, which leads to overtaking, on the varied fuel loads. Look at a wet/dry race: not everyone improves at exactly the same rate, lap by lap, and it's the people who are good at judging the conditions, and that rate of change, who come out on top.

Bear in mind that the brake discs and pads are the same material as used last year, and that Webber ran out of them in Singapore. Teams are going to have to make sure they get their cooling right, and there are a lot of compromises to be dealt with. In the past this wasn't really a big concern; you just drove the nuts off it from start to finish. This year, how do you not overcool them in qualifying, yet undercool for the race?

LIFE'S THE PITS

F1 should represent the quickest cars, the best technology, and the fastest tyre stops known to man.

If you take your car to Kwik Fit you might be mildly impressed that they've changed your tyres in the time it takes to go to Starbucks and back. In F1, the tyres are going to be changed in the blink of an eye! I think it's great, and puts the spotlight on the teamwork element.

Pitstops were limited by refueller nozzle time and lollipop-man release, but now it's really down to those guys on each corner of the car. Maybe the guy on the front-right is going to be so amazingly quick that he can eat a Kit Kat while his mates are still changing the other three wheels! It's going to be brilliant to watch who's the fastest.

THE BIG GUNS COMPARED

Mercedes: I've got to believe Schumacher is going to be as good as he ever was. He made the decision to come back based on competitive and pleasure reasons, and we've not seen a comeback like this happen in the past decade. Michael loves the buzz of driving these cars, takes pleasure from working with the engineers, and wants to go racing.

Will he be better at 41 years of age than he was before? Well, it's doubtful. Will he be any slower? I think we're going to see a great life experiment play out here: a fully-motivated older driver, who's not battle-weary because he's taken time out. Can he outperform a young charger in Nico Rosberg?

It's make or break for Nico's career, because he's up against Michael. If he beats him, it's a feather in his cap. If he's behind him, that doesn't mark him out as a team leader of the future when Michael retires again.

I don't think Michael would've come back under any other circumstance than Ross Brawn running the show. They know each other as intimately as two heterosexual men can. They can call on that, and I can see their combined sportscar knowledge helping too in this new era of full-tank strategy.

McLaren: Hats off to Jenson for giving us this opportunity to see these two great world champions competing wheel-to-wheel in the same team. He could've taken the safe option of staying at what has become Mercedes, but he's gone for the challenge and believes in his ability. I think we should give him half a season, at least, to get comfortable in that environment. It'll take him time to learn that cockpit layout, and get used to the guys around him. But what a great line-up.

I don't think losing Mercedes factory status will have any adverse effect. With the restriction on the development of the engines, Mercedes is at such a level that it can knock those very quick and reliable engines out to all its teams.

Ferrari: I can see the Alonso-Massa pairing working well. I don't view Massa as a volatile character. Despite Alonso's bad rap from his McLaren experience, I think he was at a point in his career where he felt he wasn't getting what he was promised. So off he went, broke his contract and took a step back in car performance for a couple of years to get where he really wanted to be.

He's strong-minded, sure, but he's a double world champion, and that's what makes these guys win titles.

Ferrari was caught out with its car's performance last year, missing the double diffuser like a number of teams, but the early testing form looks promising.

Red Bull: The greatest form of flattery is mimicry, and it's no coincidence that a lot of teams' cars look a lot like last year's Red Bull. People expected Adrian Newey to come up with something radical, but the RB6 is largely related to last year's car, albeit with a lot of clever work going on under the skin.

I believe both Sebastian and Mark can challenge for the title. Sebastian lost a lot of points early doors last year, and he's got to take responsibility for a number of those, and he doesn't shy away from it, but he was also let down by poor reliability.

He's a great talent, and firmly established now. Mark had a wobbly start after his well-documented leg injury, but that's well in the past, and this now is his big chance. He's a no-nonsense guy and he knows he's got to get on with it.

BEST OF THE REST?

Williams: Rubens Barrichello deserves that slot after what he did with Brawn last year. He's a safe pair of hands who wears his heart on his sleeve. I believe the family environment of Williams will work well for him. I'm very impressed with Nico Hulkenberg, who seems like the real deal both in and out of the car. It's a very interesting pairing.

I've got a soft spot for Williams, like many people have, because they're one of the oldest privateer teams out there. They're proper racers, but after a difficult couple of years they need to deliver some hard results. The car looks nice, and in Cosworth they have another backbone of British motorsport, but will the engine be good enough in areas like fuel economy?

Renault: They're heavily branded as Renault, even though there's a new majority shareholder, and will still want to be winning. Robert Kubica is known to be quick, and is an established grand prix winner, and Vitaly Petrov has the opportunity to prove he's got the ability to step up.

I don't mean to be unkind, but they had one of the ugliest-looking cars last year, and they've not been put off by that judging by the new colour scheme! I hope it goes a bit quicker than it looks.

Force India: It's a great opportunity for Paul di Resta to get this seat time on Friday, but should this team be worrying about young-driver development like this? I don't see how it enhances their two race drivers getting the maximum out of a grand prix weekend. It would be great if everyone else was doing this, by giving young talent a chance, but I don't see anyone else following suit.

Toro Rosso: The car seems a logical development of last year, so it's a great opportunity for Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari to shine. Sebastien did a really solid job to establish himself, and Jaime has to take on board what he learnt at the tail end of last year. He's got to up the ante if he's got long-term ambitions at this level.

Sauber: It's like the Honda/Brawn situation; I imagine BMW are paying for them to keep the operation going. Peter sold his team for a lot, and he's got it back for not very much at all.

Kudos to him for doing it again. It's good to have Pedro de la Rosa back, while Kamui Kobayashi was very impressive on his F1 debut, more so than his junior-category performances. It will be interesting to see if it can replicate its testing form in the heat of battle.

New teams: I can imagine that Lotus will be at the highest level, because they have the most experience across the board with Mike Gascoyne and two proven drivers in Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen. Virgin has gone down this super-duper CFD route, and it will be interesting to see how it works out, and with Campos we still haven't seen a car so we can't draw any conclusions.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Mar 2010, 19:44

Mansell, now aged 56, even floated the idea of a return to Formula One.

He is currently involved in the Le Mans series driving for Team LNT alongside his son Greg.

But, when asked if he might return, said: "Never say die. If there's a good Formula One seat, who knows? Why not, it would make a bit of history, wouldn't it?"

"We're pulling four to four and a half G in these cars so who says anything can't be done these days? It's about having the opportunity."
:lol:

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 08 Mar 2010, 09:34

:lol: @ Force India's gaffe.

:rofl: @ the thought of Mansell returning.

I wonder if Ian Phillips will end up getting a full-time BBC role?

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 08 Mar 2010, 11:14

Red Bull claim to have made a pitstop in 1.8s...
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 08 Mar 2010, 11:18

BMW Sauber F1 becomes Sauber Motorsport and they also have a new logo which I can't find... :(
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 08 Mar 2010, 15:12

JoostLamers wrote:Red Bull claim to have made a pitstop in 1.8s...
Unbelievable !!
JoostLamers wrote:BMW Sauber F1 becomes Sauber Motorsport and they also have a new logo which I can't find... :(
http://www.madeinmotorsport.com/en/headlines/news-f1-sauber-reveals-red-logo-and-likely-new-name-1590.html wrote:The he new logo - the once-familiar 'S' logo in a red-coloured box and 'Sauber Motorsport' in a grey font - was included for the first time at the header of the team's media preview of the season opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

KevC

Post by KevC » 08 Mar 2010, 19:22

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 08 Mar 2010, 19:31

S for Superman ? :p

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 09 Mar 2010, 00:56

iceman1 wrote:
S for Superman ? :p
they do not want to goto that extent now, that is why the 'S' is not completely shown, at the end of the season the 'S' will hopefully be complete :lol:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Mar 2010, 16:44

The Saubers are easy on the tyres. Could be advantageous

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 09 Mar 2010, 20:23

New partnership for Mclaren. X-trade

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 10 Mar 2010, 18:00

As expected, Richard Branson brings the Virgin name into F1 in a naming rights capacity by jumping into bed with fellow first-timers Manor Grand Prix. The Virgin was the first car from one of the new teams to be uncovered, and designer Nick Wirth's flirtation with an all-CFD creation shows. The body of the Virgin features a lot of simple lines and curves, but lacks some of the refined detail and adjustments that others develop through wind-tunnel testing. Still, it's worth experimenting with new techniques.
How testing has gone should make them nervous about whether they can go the distance on a race weekend, due to recurrent problems with leaking fluid and mounting issues for the front wing, and whether they can handle the pace of the field. The Virgin has regularly come last on the timesheets, usually five to six seconds behind the best. How well they can tap into their potential and fully consummate the relationship between chassis, engine and tyres will determine if Virgin can end up on top of the newcomers.

At least the Virgin can look good doing it - that paint job has got many people's juices flowing. In the cockpit, Timo Glock is fast and relatively experienced and will coax the car along, and based on recent form Lucas di Grassi is an exciting prospect as well, but in reality neither are likely to score this year. Virgin won't be blowing anyone away in 2010, but if they bed down the basics, squeeze all they can out of the VR01, keep trying and not lie down, they will be bang on target for next season.
That's F1 Rejects preview for Virgin this season. It made me laugh out loud, hope you enjoy it.

phil1993

Re: 2010 Season Discussions: Driver Line-ups, News and Misc

Post by phil1993 » 10 Mar 2010, 18:07

That is epic