2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: 2010 Pre-Season Discussions: Driver Line-ups, News and Misc

Post by iceman1 » 23 Feb 2010, 20:03

sdutt wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Yes, but they're not on the entry list
RBR F1 Spy wrote:Spoke to official sources who're still hopeful of a 26-car grid at the first race. Presumably that would be the Grand Prix of Narnia…
now whats going on? :<>: it is frustrating seeing the politics going on these days :<>:
The list was published on November 30th, but Sauber wasn´t granted an entry until December 3rd.
Sauber wrote:The FIA issued the entry list on November 30, and we received our entry not before December 3. Since then, the FIA never issued an amended list (maybe because of the uncertainty with some of the new teams). The bottom line is everything is fine with our entry.
Also Vitaly Petrov does not appear on the FIA list of drivers at the moment.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 23 Feb 2010, 20:54

http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pag ... mpana.aspx

Ridiculous comments from Ferrari, complaining about the new teams in F1. I enjoy the language of it, but I find their claims stupid. Yeah the new teams haven't got their act together, but F1 needed new teams and Virgin and Lotus look like serious outfits. To me this is Ferrari wanting less teams in F1- Less teams means more TV money for the bigger teams...

*This was posted before, but not the whole article so that's why I posted it here.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 23 Feb 2010, 21:16

phil1993 wrote:Yes, but they're not on the entry list
Joe Saward:
There as been a few stories today about an FIA season guide that has been posted on the official website which does not include Sauber. I asked the FIA whether this was significant or not and was told that the team “will be in the final version of the entry list we publish this week”. It seems that the team was left off as some elements of the guide were created before the necessary announcements had been made.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 24 Feb 2010, 18:04

FIA to inspect USF1 this week

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 24 Feb 2010, 19:28

phil1993 wrote:FIA to inspect USF1 this week
Today in fact, he spent 4 hrs there, but...

No way in for Stefan

James Allen had lunch with Max Mosley today:
James Allen wrote:Naturally we kept coming back to the outburst from Ferrari on their website yesterday in which the ‘Horse Whisperer’ accused Mosley of waging a ‘holy war’ against the F1 teams, manufacturers in particular. He said he found the whole thing quite amusing but hinted that the team had opened a can of worms here and that he had not planned to say anything rude about them before now, but that they have fired the first shot with this attack. He described Ferrari as a middle aged woman who is jealous of the attention new beautiful women around her are getting! He also said that the comments about Lotus and Virgin ‘limping’ into F1 and implying the new teams are a shambles, was rich given that Ferrari sent one of their cars out of the pits with a fuel hose attached in Singapore 2008.

On the subject of the new teams he is pleased that there is new blood in F1 and regrets the problems of USF1 and Campos. At the time of the assessment of new entries he insists that both places were visited regularly and financial checks carries out by Deloitte and by CVC’s finance experts. As for what happens next, he thinks there will be a merger between USF1 and Campos.

This would leave an open 13th entry, but he reminded us that for Stefan GP to get it, all the teams need to agree. I know for a fact, speaking to Ferrari this week, that they will not agree to that, as long as disgraced former McLaren designer Mike Coughlan is working for the team.

He spoke a lot about Flavio Briatore, much of it was well off the record, but he said that the idea of previous FIA punishments being rescinded such as the $100m fine for McLaren, is nonsense as McLaren were licence holders, the problem procedurally with the ban on Briatore. He said that without Pat Symonds making a confession, the original hearing might not have convicted the perpetrators of the Crashgate offences. He also said he was confident, if not 100% so, that Fernando Alonso was not in on the plot. He bases this on the fact that the investigators are experienced at examining witnesses and they were convinced Alonso was not lying.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 24 Feb 2010, 19:31

Stefan is confident of getting a 2010 grid slot by next Wednesday and is also confident of getting some tyres to test with.

Source

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 24 Feb 2010, 19:36

Ferrari will say no, so they can't compete.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 24 Feb 2010, 19:39

That will depend on the presence of Mike Coughlan within the team.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 24 Feb 2010, 19:43

Ali wrote:That will depend on the presence of Mike Coughlan within the team.
Yeah, Coughlan stays - Ferrari will definitely say no; Coughlan goes and Ferrari might say yes but they prefer less teams...

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 24 Feb 2010, 20:49

I'm really lost for words about this due still-diligince period. FIA must have observed the new entrants at all times in order to assess whether they would beeligible to make it to the grid. However, it wasn't until an insider talks about what's happening in a team that FIA felt that it should check it out. What is worse, if FIA has already been supervising the process, then what on earth did they think they are doing. Were they waiting for the victim to wake up and shout "Hey dude, I think I am dead." This is ridiculous. US F1 haven't ordered the Cosworth engines yet. They are waiting in the factory crated and packed.

I don't think this is US F1's fault anyway. They entered the championship when there were budget cap in place. Now, we have a vague resource restriction agreement which stipulates that costs will be brought to 90's levels in 2 years time. That did hurt US F1 and Campos, undoubtedly. FIA didn't manage the process throughly and fairly. Now they had to clean it up the mess.

And I found creepy that Stefan GP hired Mike Coughlan.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 25 Feb 2010, 11:01

It'd be a shame if Ferrari knocked back Stefan GP. I however find it odd that they hired Mike Coughlan. I'd hope that in a case of no Coughlan vs no entry they'd take the no Coughlan route instead.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 25 Feb 2010, 15:57

cformula1 wrote:It'd be a shame if Ferrari knocked back Stefan GP. I however find it odd that they hired Mike Coughlan. I'd hope that in a case of no Coughlan vs no entry they'd take the no Coughlan route instead.
me too. i find it poor that they went for Mike

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 Feb 2010, 16:54

Karun Chandhok will be Campos #2 driver:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 537003.stm

Last week, Cabaron (or whatever his name is) said it was between Chandhok and Baguette...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 26 Feb 2010, 14:52

New safety car to be gull-wing SLS AMG
The silver F1 safety car this year will be the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.

The unique 571 horse power gull-wing supercar, with its doors hinged on the roof that fold upwards, sped to formula one fame recently when Michael Schumacher drove a red model on the ceiling of a tunnel in a new TV commercial.

German Bernd Maylander, 38, will again be the full time safety car driver in 2010, according to Bild newspaper.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Feb 2010, 17:47

Niceee, that car was at the Top Gear Live Show :D
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at