Fair overtaking ideas ?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Fair overtaking ideas ?

Post by blizzard » 29 Oct 2009, 21:21

Sanredrose wrote:Ali, blizzard, phil1993

- All of you have given your comments on the crash as racing incident ... any ideas on how to avoid this ?
First of all, sorry for my at times rough language, but I´m a regular poster on a Man Utd forum and I´m sure you guys know what type of language football fans are using :)

So to answer your question:

You can´t prevent incidents like that from happening, it´s racing and there will always be crashes which take place, because someone did not react properly.

The aftermath could have been prevented first and foremost by not inviting Trulli and Sutil to the same press conference. In addition to that it would be helpufl, if the FIA were going to release more detailed press statements about their decisions. For example in this case they could have explained why Trulli got fined and what he did wrong.

But in all honesty, I think the main reason for such a normal situation exploding like that is that Trulli is very frustrated about losing his job at Toyota at the end of the season and obviously the team don´t give a damn about him anymore, otherwise they would have taken him to the side and tell him to forget about the incident and focus on the future, because it´s not really good PR for Toyota when one of their employees is making a fuss about something rather harmless. The idea of printing out pictures is just ridiculous Jarno. :confused:

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 29 Oct 2009, 22:38

Mandatory big mirrors of a type that promote visibility? That's all I can think of. You can't change the way the drivers defend except by being much much stricter on double movement, which would just promote the FIA's penalty culture.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 Oct 2009, 07:45

I would suggest Spotters like in Nascar but they wouldnt be able to see the whole track :p

sato113
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sato113 » 07 Dec 2009, 19:29

drivers should be more agressive if anything. as Vielleuve said (i think) 'F1 needs more heroes, gladiators'

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 12 Dec 2009, 13:10

Case in point, I think Trulli just got way ahead of himself. It was a daring move, which I appreciate, but you have to accept that it's not always going to end well. Even great overtakers like Montoya sometimes f*** up.

How to avoid that? By all means, don't. Nobody wants to see predicable races where nobody crashes and nobody overtakes. The risk of an occasional racing incident is what spices it all up.

As others have pointed out, what Webber and (especially) Kobayashi did was far worse, in that they deliberately swerved off-line to block the car behind. Either they misjudged the situation (understandable), or they were just being jerks.

What I find even worse, though, is what Kovalainen did at Suzuka. Sutil overtakes, fair and square (and clean), and Kova just spins him off. That falls under "causing an avoidable collision" in my books, and should have been penalized. Who will even risk overtaking anymore if the other car can just ram into your back and get away with it? Seriously.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 12 Dec 2009, 19:46

Good point there, and if you try to avoid it, you get what Hamilton did at Australia 2009, give a place back even it was not necessary.. He got so many warnings and things about his overtaking style that became too cautious and they took the overtaking spirit out of him for that race, terrible. You don;t want that to happen to any driver
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

outsidr

Post by outsidr » 15 Dec 2009, 11:53

I don't want to see F1 turn into NASCAR. Blocking a faster car or better driver shouldn't be allowed. NASCAR has rules forbidding it, they just aren't enforced. Accidents/mistakes/momentary lapse of reason will happen, but sportsmanlike conduct should be the rule and not the exception.

MSC II
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MSC II » 17 Dec 2009, 12:53

I think 3 solutions are possible :

- each GP can have 2 race : 1 "normal" race and 1 race with reverse grid.

- the SC must be deploy more often time : I remember for example Monaco 2009 : after near 20 laps, the race was boring and Vettel crashed at 1st corner : the car was in a dangerous position but no SC has been deployed : but, if SC has been deployed, on restart, we could have seen some overtakes

- Dangerous moves must be penalize : why Webber in Brazil hasnt been penalized? Kova in Suzuka? ...

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Dec 2009, 19:18

Yeah, Webber is such a hypocrite: He blames others for stupid dangerous moves then goes and does that to Kimi, IIRC not the first time in 2009 that he has driven dangerously.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 18 Dec 2009, 16:55

phil1993 wrote:Yeah, Webber is such a hypocrite: He blames others for stupid dangerous moves then goes and does that to Kimi, IIRC not the first time in 2009 that he has driven dangerously.
The reason why I dislike Webber
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 18 Dec 2009, 17:24

phil1993 wrote:Yeah, Webber is such a hypocrite: He blames others for stupid dangerous moves then goes and does that to Kimi, IIRC not the first time in 2009 that he has driven dangerously.
I doubt he'd have seen Kimi, and if he did I didn't see much wrong with what he did, it was Raikkonen's fault he lost his nose. When he criticises others, he's usually right and atleast he gives an opinion and is honest, most drivers are dull dull dull, and say nothing interesting.

amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by amoljoshi » 18 Dec 2009, 17:51

swca92 wrote:
I doubt he'd have seen Kimi, and if he did I didn't see much wrong with what he did, it was Raikkonen's fault he lost his nose. When he criticises others, he's usually right and atleast he gives an opinion and is honest, most drivers are dull dull dull, and say nothing interesting.

Sorry Mate. I have never really hated Webber. But that move towards right to push Kimi was not good at all.

Whose mistake it was?
Well, at least I can say that it was n`t Kimi`s.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 18 Dec 2009, 18:00

amoljoshi wrote:
swca92 wrote:

Sorry Mate. I have never really hated Webber. But that move towards right to push Kimi was not good at all.

Whose mistake it was?
Well, at least I can say that it was n`t Kimi`s.
:thumbsup:

James10171
car driver
car driver

Post by James10171 » 21 Dec 2009, 07:38

because of trulli's overreaction i blame him lol

amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by amoljoshi » 23 Dec 2009, 19:09