Schumacher signs for Mercedes

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

What can Michael achieve in 2010?

Poll ended at 12 Mar 2010, 20:08

6%
Podiums
14%
A win
11%
More than one win
39%
The Championship
31%

Total votes: 36

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: Schumi to Mercedes GP?

Post by iceman1 » 18 Dec 2009, 08:26

Jean-Louis Moncet says that he's heard that Willi Weber is having a meeting with Ross Brawn, Norbert Haug and others on the 22nd of December.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Dec 2009, 17:35

Schumacher: "Very likely to go to Mercedes"
Michael Schumacher has told Ferrari that there is a "very, very, very strong possibility" that he will race for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 next year, team president Luca di Montezemolo has revealed.

Although there has not yet been any official word from the Schumacher or Mercedes-Benz camps about the progress of talks in relation to an amazing comeback for the seven-time world champion, di Montezemolo has given away just how far advanced the situation now is.

Speaking to selected media, including AUTOSPORT, at Ferrari's Christmas lunch in Fiorano on Thursday, di Montezemolo shed fresh light on the Schumacher developments.

"I hadn't spoken to him since Abu Dhabi but I spoke to him yesterday (Wednesday)," said di Montezemolo about Schumacher's Mercedes-Benz situation.

"He phoned me and he told me that there is a very, very, very strong possibility [of racing for Mercedes-Benz]. Having said that, it is not 100 percent decided. But that is what he said yesterday morning."

Di Montezemolo confirmed that Ferrari had agreed to release Schumacher from any remaining commitments he had to the Italian team so he could make the switch to Mercedes-Benz in the event of a deal coming off.

Sources have told AUTOSPORT that a deal between Schumacher and Mercedes-Benz has been agreed in principle, but that the matter cannot move forward until the German has been told by medical experts that his neck is 100 per cent ready for an F1 return.

Schumacher hurt his neck in a big motorbike accident last year, and it was the legacy of that injury which forced him to abandon a comeback for Ferrari in the middle of last year.

Once Schumacher has got the medical news that he and Mercedes-Benz need, then it will be a matter of finalising his contract prior to an announcement being made.

Di Montezemolo said that he believed that it was a 'new Schumacher' who was pursuing a future with Mercedes-Benz.

"The real Michael Schumacher always told me he would finish his career at Ferrari," he said.

When asked what he had said to Schumacher during their conversation, di Montezemolo paused before saying: "Don't forget that when you start collaboration with a driver as long ago as we did with Michael, in 1995, over 14 years ago, you are also a friend.

"You can agree and disagree but you remain friends. I won't forget what he did for Ferrari and he won't forget what we did for him."

Di Montezemolo also spoke at length about the struggles Ferrari faced during 2009, having been unable to take the challenge to title rivals Brawn GP and Red Bull Racing.

"All our car architecture - the dimensions of the gearbox, everything – was based on a different interpretation of the rules and, also, we were pushing very hard until the last corner of the last race of '08," he said.

Di Montezemolo also admitted that the season had marked the closest point in his experience to seeing Ferrari quit F1.

"This year was the only one moment since I became chairman in 1991 that I was really minded to stop F1," he said. "It was the unanimous decision of the board that there was too much credibility being lost, too much polemics over the rules and not enough research.

"Now I say thank God that everything is over although we paid a big price because not to have Toyota and BMW and to have Renault in a different situation is not good for F1."

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 18 Dec 2009, 18:01

phil1993 wrote:Schumacher: "Very likely to go to Mercedes"
[..]
Di Montezemolo said that he believed that it was a 'new Schumacher' who was pursuing a future with Mercedes-Benz.

"The real Michael Schumacher always told me he would finish his career at Ferrari," he said.
Do I hear a little frustration here?

All this shows just how desperate Michael is to give his comeback. I myself wouldn't have thought that, really.
Giving up his well-paid ambassador-/consultant-role to drive (probably) just one single year in F1 again?
I want him to come back, but I hope that he has really well reflected on his situation, what he wants and what he expects. He won't be #1 in the standings at the end of 2010......If that's OK for him, fine. If not, he really should consider to stop. Yet he apparently made up his mind already, now it's only a matter of his medical status.

Coopz
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Coopz » 18 Dec 2009, 18:02

He'll done one or two seasons with Mercedes, then work with them.

I really don't blame him

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Dec 2009, 18:08

I reckon he'll do 2, dependant on form, fitness and the car

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 18 Dec 2009, 18:09

yes. if he does well. he will definetly extend

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 18 Dec 2009, 18:17

Coopz wrote:He'll done one or two seasons with Mercedes, then work with them.

I really don't blame him
I don't blame him either.
Actually I never was a friend of the fact that many people identify Schumacher only with Ferrari. Yet between Schumacher and Ferrari there's obviously a special band, 14 years is a long time...
As I said I was sceptical about this special connection, this Ferrari-is-my-family situation as I never was a Ferrari fan, but if it's true then to "throw it away" for just one year to come back? I don't know, if that's what he wants, it's fine. Maybe I'm exaggerating and in the end it's no big deal, but I can imagine that a few people at Ferrari are disappointed about this move.

Coopz
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Coopz » 18 Dec 2009, 18:21

I imagine they are, but if there was a spot free at Ferrari, he would want to go there. He's just eager to get back, I still think he is friends with the guys at Ferrari. Being German, I guess it's one of his dreams to drive a Mercedes.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Dec 2009, 18:21

He wanted to join Mercedes in F1 when they planned to enter in the early-mid 90s

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 18 Dec 2009, 18:27

phil1993 wrote:He wanted to join Mercedes in F1 when they planned to enter in the early-mid 90s
Of course phil, but this was before his 14 years with Ferrari. I don't know if it was or really is his dream to drive for Mercedes. That German driver/German car thing is overrated, he just wants to sit in a competitive car with people around him that he thinks are capable of giving him one.

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 19 Dec 2009, 11:31

MavF1 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:He wanted to join Mercedes in F1 when they planned to enter in the early-mid 90s
Of course phil, but this was before his 14 years with Ferrari. I don't know if it was or really is his dream to drive for Mercedes. That German driver/German car thing is overrated, he just wants to sit in a competitive car with people around him that he thinks are capable of giving him one.

10 years mate :O

Anyway, i still cant belive he`s coming back but "F1" has already surprised me a couple of times lately ! I`m also not sure if it`s a dream of his but as a Marketing scenario it`s perfect; The (real) Silver Arrows are back, 2 german drivers to line up, and no matter how many friends he has at Maranello he will join Ross Brawn again, even before Ferrari he`s the guy that helped him to get 2 titles with Benetton, strong bonds between them.

But i`ll wait to see, i`ve read yesterday that he told Massa he was having problems with his vision at some corners, when he tested to replace him, is it true ?!? Is he healed in a couple of months ?!? His neck ?!? Or is it all this just propaganda so we can talk about him ?!?

Merry xmas everybody

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 19 Dec 2009, 18:26

I just read a new on a site and i still cant believe that schumi will be back but i want schumi to be racing and win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[mod]Link removed, already posted[/mod]
Desire has no limits

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Dec 2009, 18:29

MP4/4#12 wrote:
MavF1 wrote:

10 years mate :O
96 - 06 as a driver
07 - 09 as a consultant

So 14 years :O

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 20 Dec 2009, 08:42

Michael didn't even bother attending the Ferrari christmas party :zz:

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 20 Dec 2009, 15:36

iceman1 wrote:Michael didn't even bother attending the Ferrari christmas party :zz:
Well, he didn't attended Ferrari days this year so :zz:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO