***Official Spanish GP Thread***

Reports, quotes, stats specifically about the F1 2007 season Grands Prix.
Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 28 Apr 2007, 21:07

mschumi wrote:Hmm, Spain...Alonso's home, last winner, Michael Schumacher with a Ferrari..Hmm...
Did Schumacher win it??? I thought Alonso won last year... I've lost meself :lol:...

athos
car driver
car driver

Post by athos » 28 Apr 2007, 21:09

I've heard that spanish people do not pay much atention to Formula One, they prefer football, naturally.
I was wondering whether some of you can give any figures of the attendance to the circuit de Catalunya last GP pr the number of tickets sold.

Regards

Athos

theo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by theo » 28 Apr 2007, 21:24

well, even spanish people do not pay attention, there are people all over the world that travels to spain to watch it! but sorry i dont have any idea about figures of the attendance.
GO KIMIIII....

mschumi
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mschumi » 28 Apr 2007, 21:58

god damnit, mistakend it with the french gp (renault home ground)...damn, my bad :oops:
Last edited by mschumi on 28 Apr 2007, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
GOGO Scuderia

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 Apr 2007, 22:01

athos wrote:I've heard that spanish people do not pay much atention to Formula One, they prefer football, naturally.
I was wondering whether some of you can give any figures of the attendance to the circuit de Catalunya last GP pr the number of tickets sold.

Regards

Athos
spanish people don't take notice of Formula 1? Ever heard of Alonso? Rolling Eyes

F1 is very popular in Spain now, and has been for a few years. But it wasn't always popular. Motorcycle racing is massive is Spain. After all they have 3 fixtures on the MotoGP calendar each year and MotoGP is run by a Spanish company.

Unsurprisingly, since Spain has a front running F1 driver, the last 2 GPs have been sell outs. Last year the organisors built additional grandstand seating to cope with requirement.

In terms of numbers, I'm not sure of the circuits capacity. But at a guess I'd say somewhere in the region of 100,000.

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 28 Apr 2007, 23:56

isn't there supposed to be a team running a 'real madrid' ( :evil: :evil: ) livery here...i'm sure i read something about that last year

anyway i've found the article (from last year)
Real Madrid have reached an agreement with an unnamed Formula One team to have a car compete in the club's colours at next season's Spanish Grand Prix.

Club president Ramon Calderon refused to reveal the team in question but said the deal was "with an important team and it will be for at least one grand prix at Montmelo".

"It's a beautiful project," added Calderon. "The boxes have already been designed, the cars will be all white, showing the Madrid emblem. It will be especially nice to compete in Barcelona and show a big Madrid emblem."

Next season's Spanish Grand Prix is scheduled for May 13.

Spanish driver Fernando Alonso, who retained his Formula One World title last weekend in Brazil, is a keen Real Madrid fan and the club have already made moves to honour his achievement.

"We will be in contact with Fernando in the hope that he will make the kick-off honours in one of our games," said Calderon.

Alonso won both of his titles with the Renault team, but will move to McLaren next season.
it's really sad that fernando likes real :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
although i think i can forgive that :lol:
mm tofu

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 29 Apr 2007, 05:32

so who is going to have the real livery?

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 29 Apr 2007, 09:06

Security on the track, boxes, access to pedestrians from the parking and paddock enlargement are improved by the alterations

Circuit de Catalunya.- Circuit’s news for 2007 are focused on the following improvements: route’s security, boxes, a best access to public and paddock enlargement.

More security on the track
The track has been modified between Europcar and New Holland curves for security reasons. The braking point at the Europcar curve must be done before as usually because of its alteration. A short straight is following and, after, a double curve is linked to the existing route. Run-off areas will be paved and they will have the more modern elements of protection. With this link road, an important speed reduction is achieved in three critical points: Europcar curve, pit-lane entrance and the main straight entrance. Cars will use this link road meanwhile motorbikes will continue using the original route. It is expected that the third week of January the link road will be already repaired.

For another hand, the security area of Würth bend will be enlarged. In that point, the protector wall from the right will be replaced *censored*her and this run-off area will be 6 metres enlarged. The service road will also be moved to the interior.

More comforts for the public
The Circuit keeps on supplying improvements for the public. Two provisional bridges structures that are used for the Grands Prix will be replaced for two permanent ones that will be built to cross the railway lines. One of them will be between In6 parking and the main grandstand, at the commercial area. The other one will be located between the parking C and the grandstand J. Both will facilitate people and vehicles circulation because the perimeter road of pedestrian crossing will be unblocked until the door 4. Another area that has been improved for the public is the Door 2 that will have a new toilets building at public’s disposal.

Better service for the teams
The complement to these improvements is the paddock surface extension and the interior redistribution of the boxes. Boxes assigned to material, vehicles of maintenance and RACC school (Circuit de Catalunya de Fórmules) now are available for motor-racing teams and teams of competition, having the whole 48 boxes instead of the 42 that were used so far. The enlargement entails the movement of the Tower F, the creation of two spaces for service lift, boxes floors and at the East access of the tunnel level. A new service building of two floors will receive the vehicles of maintenance of the Circuit and Escola de Formules.

hopefully it creates more passing opportunities! :P

Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Chubbs » 29 Apr 2007, 10:19

wow the new part looks cool. I am really looking forward to this GP purely because i havent seen F1 for bloody ages now...

i really hope its a good one :P

jana7i
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by jana7i » 29 Apr 2007, 10:45

i only care about 1 thing......who will beat the other, alonso or hamilton!!

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 29 Apr 2007, 11:06

this new turn looks very cool! it will make more overtaking aswell!

Busi
Donator
Donator

Post by Busi » 29 Apr 2007, 11:33

athos wrote:I've heard that spanish people do not pay much atention to Formula One, they prefer football, naturally.

Regards

Athos
Last year between 120,000 and 130,000 people attended only on Sunday, nearly 300,000 the whole weekend.

This year they're sure they will run out of tickets before the race, and they are 145,000, expecting clearly over 300,000 from Thursday (Pit Lane visit) to Sunday. Source: myself, 30 km away from the circuit :lol: (I actually read it in the official Barcelona Circuit website.

About the interests between F1 and footbal, well depends on the people but I've actually heard that nowadays with the Alonso thing there are more F1 spectators than soccer's
Alonso, future 5 times world champion

Busi
Donator
Donator

Post by Busi » 29 Apr 2007, 11:38

About the new chicane, surely many overtakings will be possible, I went for the February tests there and cars were easily able to keep in touch through the chicane so they could overtake into T1, given that last corner is now (crappy and easy) on full throttle...

I can't wait for the GP, I think I'll go to the tests on Tuesday or Thursday, and probably the Friday of the GP weekend
Alonso, future 5 times world champion

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 29 Apr 2007, 12:05

This be interesting to see and to watch seeing as its different. Although they will not have quite the same speed as they did before to get onto the start/finish straight.

theo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by theo » 29 Apr 2007, 22:18

Yep, that new turn looks cool, and yeah alex, i've heard about a team running a real madrid livery at Catalunya to last year, so was trying to remember which club etc,.. i forgot everything about that thing, so thanks for telling us that, but i'm sure, after they lost champions league and spanish league,... they wouldn't do that anymore...
GO KIMIIII....