Renault Race Fixing - ING terminate Renault deal

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Renault Race Fixing - ING terminate Renault deal

Post by TwistedArmco » 02 Oct 2009, 12:25

Ooooh, burn. That wasn't the very smartest thing Piquet Jr. has ever done.

From the Friday Press Conference at Suzuka:
02 October 2009
Q. (Will Buxton – Australasian Motorsport News) For Bob, John and Christian: Nelson Piquet, as a racing driver, is saying that he obviously wants to find a way back into Formula One at some point in the future. Now regardless of who made what decision and how it all came about, would any of you give him a seat, given what's happened, and could you see anybody giving him a seat in the future?

JH: That's a question for Bob, I guess.

BB: I'm not sure I'll be giving him a seat and that's really all I can say.

JH: I think on his performance, to be honest, disregarding the issue, I probably would not give him a drive and I would probably be further influenced in that decision by what took place.

CH: I think John has summed it up. I don't think we would have any interest at Red Bull Racing.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 02 Oct 2009, 13:08

TwistedArmco wrote:Ooooh, burn. That wasn't the very smartest thing Piquet Jr. has ever done.
Yup.
NPJ's only hope is that one the new teams (Manor?) want someone with a bit of experience.
But even then I'd choose Bourdais over Piquet.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 02 Oct 2009, 20:28

F-1 Ban May Cost Briatore $9.1 Million a Year :E

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... zzjyCnSfME

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 02 Oct 2009, 21:57

iceman1 wrote:F-1 Ban May Cost Briatore $9.1 Million a Year :E

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... zzjyCnSfME
Lolwhoops! :lol:
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 04 Oct 2009, 14:20

Shamed Nelson Piquet Jr. moving to NASCAR Truck Series?
Spoiler:
Brazil's Globo television network has reportedly said that shunned former Formula One driver Nelson Piquet Jr. will be in North Carolina on Monday, Oct. 5 to undergo a seat fitting with the Red Horse Racing team that competes in NASCAR's Camping World Truck Series. Piquet will allegedly test Red Horse's Toyota Tundra race truck on Oct. 12.

Piquet is likely to find that F1 will not welcome him back after his role in the recent scandal surrounding his deliberate crash for Renault in last year's Singapore Grand Prix. The scandal resulted in his former bosses, Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds, receiving indefinite and five-year bans, respectively, from FIA-sanctioned motorsports.

Globo also said that Piquet has set himself the target of spending one year in trucks and one year in the Nationwide Series before a move to Sprint Cup in 2012.

Code: Select all

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091003/F1/910049998
... And he thinks he'll do better in the truck series uhh :roll::

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Oct 2009, 14:32

He can deliberately crash to bring out cautions

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 04 Oct 2009, 14:44

phil1993 wrote:He can deliberately crash to bring out cautions
LOL!

But yeah, Piquet Jnr. will fit in quite well in NASCAR, which generally has as many caution laps as racing laps :zz:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 05 Oct 2009, 11:45

'Victim' Piquet talks of 'Crashgate'
Spoiler:
05 October 2009

Nelson Piquet Jr. has described himself as the 'victim' of the 'Crashgate' race-fixing saga which dominated the run-up to this year's Singapore Grand Prix. Having crashed on purpose in last year's race, the Brazilian is now aiming to put his racing career back on track.

Before arriving in Formula One, Nelsinho carried a strong track record, including the 2004 British Formula 3 title and 2006 GP2 runner-up spot to the (then) future F1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton. Piquet does believe that the general public will forgive him for his actions in Marina Bay, however, and admits that he has been in discussions with several other teams.

"When I left Renault I talked to some teams," he explained to Brazilian television broadcaster Globo. "After the whole mess, everyone preferred to let the dust settle. The best team is probably STR (Scuderia Toro Rosso), as it is not starting from scratch; they look like they have a calm environment for new drivers - in three or four new teams, you have to pay to drive and that is the last thing I want to do."

The 24-year-old Brazilian also talked of the run-up to 'Crashgate' and whether he has been able to sleep without worries over the issue. "I have, I have," he laughed. "I have to know how to manage and negotiate it inside myself as well. Life goes on."

How did Nelson react to an alleged request to crash a Formula One car on purpose at an 80mph corner? "It was a surprise," he described. "I was a little shaken because of the difficult weekend; the request came from my Manager and team leader (Flavio Briatore) and top engineer (Pat Symonds).

"The situation had become pretty boring in the team because I had not accepted the contract that Flavio wanted me to sign; then he shouted and fought - the thing was pretty ugly and I was pretty worried. I had problems with the car in qualifying and was 'shaken'…between the lines, they wanted to say 'Do it for the team and we will help you.'"

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/10/05/victim-piquet-talks-of-crashgate/
Victim :roll::

phil1993

Re: Renault Race Fixing - Piquet to NASCAR?

Post by phil1993 » 06 Oct 2009, 20:17

[quote="Nelson "De Cesaris" Piquet"]Some news guys, I'll be testing a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Toyota Tundra next Monday! I'll be driving for Red Horse Racing Team[/quote]

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 06 Oct 2009, 21:24

Piquet moans about being the "Victim" when it was his fault for either going along with the plan or proposing it. Going to Nascar is a deserved punishment.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 07 Oct 2009, 07:24

swca92 wrote:Piquet moans about being the "Victim" when it was his fault for either going along with the plan or proposing it. Going to Nascar is a deserved punishment.
He's talking like they held a gun to his head, I don't think Briatore is so crazy to do that
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 07 Oct 2009, 15:40

Piquet still focused on F1 return
Spoiler:
By Steven English and Edd Straw Wednesday, October 7th 2009, 12:25 GMT

Nelson Piquet Jr has played down speculation that he is looking to a future in NASCAR and says he is determined to earn another opportunity to prove himself in Formula 1.

The 24-year-old Brazilian is due to test a NASCAR truck on Monday, but says he still wants to get back into F1 and is talking to several teams about next season.

"I will not rest until I have proven myself in F1," Piquet told AUTOSPORT.

"I'm speaking to a few teams that have open spaces and the new teams are still open. I am under no illusions about how difficult it will be, but I'm talking to people and if I'm given a chance, I will give 100 per cent."

Although Piquet is looking forward to his NASCAR truck test on Monday - and admits he is interested in categories other than F1 – he is not ready to leave grand prix racing behind yet.

"Red Horse Racing invited me [to the truck test] and I found it interesting," he told AUTOSPORT. "It's a different world that I've never experienced. It will be a fun experience with a good team. They have good backing from Toyota and they're a big manufacturer than can offer strong support."

When asked whether the test could take him down the NASCAR route next season, Piquet said: "That's not really the plan.

"This is more about exploring an exciting opportunity. I'd never even seen a car like this and it will be a good experience to see how it is.

"I would be interested in driving many kinds of cars if I had the opportunity, whether it was a rally car or an Indycar or anything like that. I've always enjoyed driving different kinds of cars.

"I did a round of the Porsche Supercup a few years and I did the Le Mans 24 Hours, which was an amazing experience. I definitely want to do Le Mans again. But my focus is still on F1."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79320

Rachael The Great
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Rachael The Great » 07 Oct 2009, 20:25

joostlamers wrote:
swca92 wrote:Piquet moans about being the "Victim" when it was his fault for either going along with the plan or proposing it. Going to Nascar is a deserved punishment.
He's talking like they held a gun to his head, I don't think Briatore is so crazy to do that
victim? wtf. he didnt have to go along with it

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Renault Race Fixing - Massa: Alonso knew!

Post by fclen » 15 Oct 2009, 12:52

Woke up to this c**p this morning:

Autosport

Planet-F1

The F1

Funny how each journalist gives the story a different spin. It goes from an oops, foot in mouth moment to a dig to hysteria. It makes it impossible to tell Felipe's actual tone when making these statements. I would love to see a video of this interview. Regardless, based on Felipe's clarification, it's obvious he has this in his mind. He does go on to say he's "looking to the future" now so let's hope this is so. :pray:

If Felipe actually belives the events in Singapore robbed him of the title, he's nuts. We shouldn't forget that Lewis cruised to a 5th place to secure the title. He was under direct instruction to play it cool and collect the necessary points to do so. If the battle would have been closer Hammy would have fought for the win or whatever points necessary. Who knows, they could have crashed each other out in the rain or gotten some stupid penalty while fighting for position and we would have had an FIA decided title.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Re: Renault Race Fixing - Massa: Alonso knew!

Post by MavF1 » 15 Oct 2009, 13:06

fclen wrote:Woke up to this c**p this morning:

Autosport

Planet-F1

The F1

Funny how each journalist gives the story a different spin. It goes from an oops, foot in mouth moment to a dig to hysteria. It makes it impossible to tell Felipe's actual tone when making these statements. I would love to see a video of this interview. Regardless, based on Felipe's clarification, it's obvious he has this in his mind. He does go on to say he's "looking to the future" now so let's hope this is so. :pray:

If Felipe actually belives the events in Singapore robbed him of the title, he's nuts. We shouldn't forget that Lewis cruised to a 5th place to secure the title. He was under direct instruction to play it cool and collect the necessary points to do so. If the battle would have been closer Hammy would have fought for the win or whatever points necessary. Who knows, they could have crashed each other out in the rain or gotten some stupid penalty while fighting for position and we would have had an FIA decided title.
Right, I also think that the outcome of the Singapore GP wouldn't have changed the Championship. Massa should remind himself who actually lost this race, namely he and his team.
It's over now and Hamilton really deserved the title, not only because he's a great racer but because he and McLaren simply didn't make as much mistakes as Ferrari and have been more reliable.
However I also think that Alonso knew something about chrashgate, it would be very naive to deny this.
YET it's over and I hope we'll see clean racing in the future and an Alonso who isn't involved in affairs year after year.