2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
AzShadow

Re: 2010 Season Discussions: Line-ups, News and Regulations

Post by AzShadow » 30 Sep 2009, 18:42

[u][url=http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/090930_F1_Gold_rush.aspx]http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/090930_F1_Gold_rush.aspx[/url][/u] wrote: Gold rush

Maranello, 30 September 2009 - Reading certain newspapers one might think that there is a gold rush in Maranello. There is lots of talk about Fernando Alonso's arrival, but even more so about how much the Spanish driver will earn and what the details of his contract with the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro look like. The numbers talked about have absolutely nothing to do with reality. It's easy to write numbers, forgetting that the world has changed recently. At Ferrari a lot of calculating is done and attention is not only paid to the costs of the operational structure, but also as far as the drivers are concerned.

It's also quite funny reading about the arrival of technicians, as if there weren't any professionals in Maranello, able to plan and manage victorious single-seaters and drivers: just remember that, however this season went, Ferrari won 50% - and maybe even more, when you consider Singapore 2008 - of the World titles in the last 30 years. There's no other team with the same results. Having said that, there are so many stories out there, almost creating a chain reaction of inventions from A to S.
Time of mega salaries is over? :zz:

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 30 Sep 2009, 18:52

sejtur wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Jake Humphreys Twitter wrote:Ok, I think...Kimi 2 Macca, Kov 2 Renault with Kubica, Heid and Hulk @ Williams, Nico/Button @ Brawn, Rubens 2 Manor, only guesses tho- You?
Rather barrichello to williams? It's almost confirmed by autosport so...
HandoZiZle wrote:Finally, it can't take any longer for Ferrari to finally admit it.
Admit what?
That they wanted Kimi out for 2010 and not 2011.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 30 Sep 2009, 18:59

So this is it, the worst kept secret in the history of F1 is finally revealed

Welcome back Kimi (@ McLaren) :)
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 30 Sep 2009, 19:50

AzShadow wrote:
[u][url=http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/090930_F1_Gold_rush.aspx]http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/090930_F1_Gold_rush.aspx[/url][/u] wrote: Gold rush

Maranello, 30 September 2009 - Reading certain newspapers one might think that there is a gold rush in Maranello. There is lots of talk about Fernando Alonso's arrival, but even more so about how much the Spanish driver will earn and what the details of his contract with the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro look like. The numbers talked about have absolutely nothing to do with reality. It's easy to write numbers, forgetting that the world has changed recently. At Ferrari a lot of calculating is done and attention is not only paid to the costs of the operational structure, but also as far as the drivers are concerned.

It's also quite funny reading about the arrival of technicians, as if there weren't any professionals in Maranello, able to plan and manage victorious single-seaters and drivers: just remember that, however this season went, Ferrari won 50% - and maybe even more, when you consider Singapore 2008 - of the World titles in the last 30 years. There's no other team with the same results. Having said that, there are so many stories out there, almost creating a chain reaction of inventions from A to S.
Time of mega salaries is over? :zz:
OMG already started .. 2010 Fireworks :lol:

Coming soon..
Schumacher sabotages Alonso's car :rofl:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 30 Sep 2009, 20:34

phil1993 wrote:Why Alonso's Ferrari deal is great for F1
Yet for all Raikkonen's foibles in failing to make enough of an effort sometimes, and team insiders cite his lack of leadership qualities as his biggest weakness, he can also be a hugely stubborn personality at times. And there probably is no coincidence that when Massa was forced out of the cockpit after the events of Hungary, Raikkonen stepped up his game to prove a point.

A run of podium finishes plus a brilliant victory at the Belgian Grand Prix showed that the Raikkonen of old was back on the track, and even inside the team they admitted seeing a different man.

One team insider suggested that, looking at the data, Raikkonen has once again been doing things in the cockpit of a very difficult car that they can hardly believe. He is going beyond what, theoretically, the F60 would be capable of in normal hands as though the Finn's last great act of defiance is to prove to his former bosses that they were wrong.

And that is exactly the sort of attitude that he will likely take with him to McLaren. The Woking-based team will take him back with open arms and none of the hangover from his previous period will be there now that Ron Dennis has switched his focus to the automotive industry.

Raikkonen will show McLaren, and indeed Lewis Hamilton, exactly why he not Alonso was once regarded as the real deal on track. And he would like nothing more than rocking up on Sundays and blowing Alonso into the weeds.

The 2010 season is still five months away, but already the excitement is mounting.

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/2406
Thanks for posting the article, Phil. Even though Kimi is leaving my favourite team in F1, I am excited to see him at McLaren next year, and look how he performs against hamilton and the ferraris. Thesame for Alonso. I have yet to see who will become my "first" driver of 2010. The sundays will tell.

I hope that McLaren will confirm him tomorrow, or friday, so that worry is out of my head. :)

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 30 Sep 2009, 20:52

just some questions: for 2010, same aero specs as 2009? and no re-fueling?
kers not be used but only because of fota agreement?

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Oct 2009, 12:55

SkyBet has installed Alonso as 7/2 favourite to win the 2010 world championship.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Oct 2009, 13:46

Jon Noble wrote:Have heard a rumour there may be a shock in the #f1 driver market. Will dig some more in the morning. Too early to say if it is a bum streer

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 01 Oct 2009, 13:57

phil1993 wrote:
Jon Noble wrote:Have heard a rumour there may be a shock in the #f1 driver market. Will dig some more in the morning. Too early to say if it is a bum streer
:confused:

Alonso recommends Kubica as replacement
Spoiler:
01 October 2009

If it was up to Fernando Alonso he would sign up Robert Kubica at the Renault F1 team. According to the Spaniard Kubica would be the best possible replacement Renault could sign at the moment as Alonso will join Ferrari next season.

The BMW Sauber F1 team was sold and the future of both Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica was not secured just yet at the Hinwil based team. When asked in interview session with the gathered media at Suzuka who Alonso would recommend as his replacement at Renault he was very clear with his answer: "I rate Robert Kubica very high. He is one of my best friends and of of the best drivers in the world. If Renault have any chance I would recommend him."

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/10/01/alonso-recommends-kubica-as-replacement/
Renault to announce Alonso's replacement next week
Spoiler:
01 October 2009

The Renault Formula 1 team has revealed that it will announce Fernando Alonso's replacement as early as next week. On Wednesday Ferrari announced that it came to a three-year agreement with the Spaniard. The Spaniard will join the Italians as of next season.

In Renault's statement the team wishes Alonso all the best for 2010 and beyond. The team furthermore said it has enjoyed a close relationship between the team and the Spaniard winning the drivers' and constructors' world championships in 2005 and 2006.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/10/01/renault-to-announce-alonso-s-replacement-next-week/

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 01 Oct 2009, 15:50

http://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/4520530971 wrote: Kimi Raikkonen cut through the McLaren garage on his way through to the pit lane. Maybe he thought it was 2010 already
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/10005.html wrote: Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren team principal
“Along with Spa-Francorchamps, Suzuka is one of Formula One’s greatest circuits, and one that every driver relishes. Certainly, McLaren has had more than its fair share of spectacular moments there - we’ve won at Suzuka on six occasions, and I vividly remember the 2005 race, when Kimi (Raikkonen) took the lead on the final lap of one of the most spectacular Grand Prix I have ever witnessed. For 2009, we go to Japan knowing that overall victory will not be easy to achieve - but the improvements we evaluated in Singapore, particularly some useful changes to the floor, should give us a competitive boost and it will be interesting to see how our pace translates against that of our rivals.”

Norbert Haug, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport Vice-President
“From a teams and drivers’ perspective, the Japanese Grand Prix is one of the biggest challenges of all 17 races this year. The track layout offers everything from the ultra-fast 130R corner to a slow hairpin. With Kimi Räikkönen we won there in 2005. With two race wins and 45 points from the last five races, the final one being last Sunday in Singapore, our team has continued this upwards trend. I don’t think we’ll be among the favourites for victory at Suzuka; however, everybody in the team is working hard to conclude the season with further good results in Japan and the following races in Brazil and Abu Dhabi.”
:zz:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 01 Oct 2009, 15:53

Mclaren is like Ferrari ... Keeping a secret while everyone knows it already

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Oct 2009, 15:57

Glock: Exit stories are bull****
Timo Glock has rubbished suggestions that he was told he had lost his seat at Toyota during the Singapore Grand Prix.

Toyota has an option to keep Glock for the 2010 season, but the Japanese squad has made it clear it is waiting for the market to settle before making a decision.

Some stories suggested the team had told Glock he had been fired after Saturday's qualifying in Singapore, something the German labelled as "the funniest I have ever read."

"The truth is that I think the stories after the race were the funniest I have ever read, to be fired on Saturday after qualifying was just bulls***, it is not right.

"The point is that we had a couple of discussion a couple of weeks ago and are open with Toyota. Toyota is open to me, we have the possibility to look around, there is nothing new.

"There were no discussions over the weekend about a contract situation and that is all I can say. There were rumours going around, maybe for some it was a bit boring on Saturday and they had to find a story for Sunday or after the race."

The German said he was bullish about Toyota's chances for its home race this weekend, but he denied there was added pressure because of racing in Japan.

"The pressure is normal," he said. "In every race you have the pressure and overall we have had a good performance. Singapore is different to Suzuka but the improvements were on the positive side and the circuit should suit our car.

"Spa did not look bad for us, so we should be in the right direction. The others are strong, Brawn and Red Bull will be strong here, and we'll see what BMW will do. For us would be good to have wet conditions. We'll see how it goes and I'll try and fight as hard as possible and see the result."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79078

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 Oct 2009, 16:40

Williams block 14th team/Dennis
Williams blocking moves for 14th team in 2010

By Motorsport.com/GMM

Williams is opposing the FIA's efforts to expand the maximum 2010 grid from 13 to 14 teams.

BMW-Sauber's new owner Qadbak needs the rule change, which can only be effected by unanimous team consent, in order to secure a guaranteed place on next year's grid.

Williams technical director Sam Michael is quoted as defending the decision to block the 14th team on the basis that it is likely that not all four of the confirmed new teams will actually make it to the Bahrain 2010 grid.

"Therefore the question (of a 14th team) will not arise at all," Michael said.

The German report named USF1 as perhaps the most likely of the four new teams to fail to debut in 2010.

Auto Motor und Sport said the team is yet to install any manufacturing equipment at its Charlotte base, and recently called off a technical meeting with engine supplier Cosworth.

It is also reported that the FIA intends to keep a close eye on the progress of the outfit, whose figurehead is the British journalist Peter Windsor.

Another rumour espoused by the magazine is that Ron Dennis is planning to attend November's Abu Dhabi finale. Fascinatingly, the race will be the first event since 1993 in the wake of his nemesis Max Mosley's 16 year reign as FIA president.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 01 Oct 2009, 21:27

phil1993 wrote:
Oh boy, who will that be.. Hamilton? Barrichello? Vettel? Button?

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 02 Oct 2009, 05:54

Toyota chasing 'Big Name'
Spoiler:
Toyota is making a major push to beat Renault to Robert Kubica's services for 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned, as the Japanese manufacturer sets its sights on securing a top-line driver pairing.

Despite recent rumours suggesting that Toyota could pull out of F1, the team's F1 president John Howett told AUTOSPORT in Suzuka on Friday that the team was not only fully committed for next year - but that it was increasing efforts to sign a star driver that would help it capture its maiden win.

Although Kubica has been most strongly linked with Renault for a deal for next year, AUTOSPORT understands that talks between the Polish driver and Toyota are at an advanced stage - with the ball now in Kubica's court as to whether he wants to take up the option with Toyota, or pursue the one he has with Renault. A decision is expected in the next week.

Howett would not confirm the identity of the drivers his team was talking to, but he has not held back in his belief that the team needs a better driver line-up in 2010 if it is to make the final push to win.

"We know who we would like in the car and we are working hard on it," said Howett. "But their [the drivers'] decision is a holistic decision as well. Will we have a winning car next year? There are drivers who haven't come here in the past who probably regret their decision.

"There is always risk and opportunity, and drivers don't always take the right decisions, do they? That is just looking historically over the past five years."

Howett said that the team has opted to release both Timo Glock and Jarno Trulli from their options for next year because Toyota wants a totally clean deck when it comes to choosing drivers. This decision comes despite Glock's second place finish in the Singapore Grand Prix last weekend.

"We want the options as we think there could be quite a big movement in the driver market," said Howett. "I think he [Glock] did a fantastic job in Singapore and we are talking to him, but honestly speaking we feel that could have been that result in other races if we could qualify in that position.

"I am sorry, it is a very tough life, and our job is to deliver results. He could still be in the car next year, but we wanted to keep our options open. And if we didn't release him by a certain date, we would be fixed for 2010."

He added: "We have a car that is more regularly capable of being on the podium and much closer to the top this year. We are not delivering, and there are things beyond the team and the chassis itself."

Howett, who was seen in talks with Kubica's manager Daniele Morelli at Suzuka on Friday morning, said he was hopeful that one of the big names his team was speaking to would commit.

"I think personally that they would be stupid not to," he said. "We have got a lot of inertia. I think there is a lot of uncertainty about a lot of teams, to be honest.

"We seem to be the focus of everybody's attention but to be blunt there are a lot of teams on the inside we hear rumours of, that are more severe than our condition. I think we have had a fairly competitive car, and we seem to be constantly coming.

"I think the drivers also can see when they are driving around the circuit as well how the cars work and their relative differences. I think there should be at least one or two seriously interested to come."

Howett also reiterated his team's desire in luring Kimi Raikkonen to Toyota, even though the Finn appears set to move to McLaren for 2010.

"We have always expressed interest in Kimi," he said.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79109