Three car teams in the future

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Do you think it's a good idea to have teams with three cars?

Yes, all of them
24%
Yes, just the top teams
4%
Yes, if they're not allowed to score points
4%
No, unless there are too few cars
40%
Never
28%

Total votes: 25

AzShadow

Three car teams in the future

Post by AzShadow » 30 Aug 2009, 14:47

There's been talk about, mainly top teams, having three cars to improve the show and to get some more cars on the grid in case some teams might be leaving and if some of the new teams can't make it due to financial problems.
[u][url=http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/08/ferrari-wants-schumacher-in-third-car-in-2010/]http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/08/ferrari-wants-schumacher-in-third-car-in-2010/[/url][/u] wrote: “Going back to Michael, it is correct to say that, if everything is fine, why not see him in one of our cars?” said Domenicali. “It is true that we are pushing [for three cars]. We feel that it is for the benefit of Formula One and it is better to make sure that the biggest teams have three cars because that’s what people want. With all respect to the smaller teams, the value of Formula One is to have good drivers, great personalities in good cars and with a great brand.”

The idea of third cars is not new, it has long been a backup plan in the Concorde Agreement if the number of cars goes below a certain level (I believe it’s 18).

The third car suggestion seems to be gaining ground within FOTA and a meeting of FOTA principals is due to take place at Monza specifically to discuss the third car option.
[u][url=http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090830161013.shtml]http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090830161013.shtml[/url][/u] wrote: Williams vows to block three car concept

Just as he said no to Michael Schumacher's F60 test, Sir Frank Williams has indicated he will also bluntly reject Ferrari's push to allow third car entries in Formula One.

"Three cars? I would block that," the Briton is quoted as saying by the Swiss Sonntagsblick newspaper.

Toro Rosso's Franz Tost is also lukewarm. "With 13 teams that would be 39 in the field, but most tracks are not at all equipped for that.

"I think it would be meaningful only if teams withdraw and the field needs to be filled up," the Austrian added.

According to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, meanwhile, McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh called the idea of three cars an interesting concept but he baulked at the idea of a team like Ferrari lining up with a threesome like Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso and Schumacher.

"If it's only about letting the three best drivers drive the three best cars, I am not sure," said Whitmarsh.
Obviously the smaller teams would object as having three Ferraris and three McLarens would pretty much leave the rest to fight for spare points and it would be very hard for them to even think about a podium.

I personally don't think that it's such a good idea either as it could make the sport just a show between two teams and bring too many team orders etc.

Tell us your thoughts :shhh:

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Three car teams in the future

Post by Zack » 30 Aug 2009, 15:17

I think it will entertaining for spectators but not at all economically viable.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 30 Aug 2009, 15:18

I don't see this happening
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 30 Aug 2009, 15:27

For Friday Practice sessions, definitely (for all teams).
For the whole weekend, definitely NOT.

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 30 Aug 2009, 15:51

For small teams like Force India, this would be their dead. So I hope, and don't see it happening ....

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 30 Aug 2009, 16:14

it would become extremely boring. people will stop watching F1 if only the top 2-3 teams get points every race, it will become very boring

Rachael The Great
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Rachael The Great » 30 Aug 2009, 19:18

i think everyone should just stick with 2 cars. its unfair on the smaller teams if just the top teams get them.

metalhead188
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by metalhead188 » 01 Sep 2009, 19:07

at the rate teams are leaving F1 they might not have a choice in the matter

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 12 Sep 2009, 09:55

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78534 wrote: Mosley: Third car plan a 'fantasy'

FIA president Max Mosley believes plans by Formula 1 teams to run third cars are a 'fantasy' that will be unable to reach fruition.

AUTOSPORT understands that following a meeting of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, the body's Sporting Working Group has been asked to evaluate the possibility of teams being able to run an extra car from next year.

The idea has been initiated by Ferrari, which is keen to have the opportunity to give Michael Schumacher the occasional race outing in 2010 if he is back to full fitness.

Although there has not been universal support for the idea within the paddock, enough teams are ready to consider it for the concept to at least get discussed.

However, Mosley thinks teams have missed their opportunity to achieve the ambition - as the current Concorde Agreement that binds the sport together effectively rules out the idea unless the number of teams on the grid drops.

"Three cars would mean re-writing the Concorde Agreement, and the time to think about three cars was before we all signed that, not after," Mosley told a selected group of media, including AUTOSPORT, at the Italian Grand Prix. "Now you would need unanimous agreement to do that.

"Unless the number of cars falls below 20... but the whole reason for getting the new teams in was to stop that happening. Three cars is a nice story, but it's a little bit of fantasy, and difficult to get unanimous agreement on."

There are some suggestions that one way for teams to get around the third car rule would be allow other teams to run the extra car, but Mosley has also poured cold water on that idea.

"That would mean another re-write of the Concorde Agreement," he said.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 12 Sep 2009, 11:03

How many new teams were applying for 2010 again? I don't think such a high-profile and prestigious sport as F1 is on the verge of suffering from a lack of entrants. If Renault or Toyota were to drop out that would suck, but Prodrive, Lola and others would be more than happy to fill in the empty spots. Not to mention the current focus on cost-cutting.

13 teams will be entering the 2010 season. Do the existing circuits have enough starting grid spots and pitlane room for 39 cars? I think not. So that would undoubtly mean the comeback of pre-qualifying, and we'd see the top teams qualifying their 3 cars, and the bottom ones not even having the chance to race! They wouldn't last long in F1 at that rate. And, for all sorts of reasons, I'd rather have more teams than fewer teams with more cars each.

I'm not worried about the future of F1. It is a market, and the rules of supply and demand apply. If the number of teams drops, prices will have to follow to attract new entrants.

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 12 Sep 2009, 14:12

Max Mosely is apparently suffering from amnesia and does not recall what he says to one news agency vs. the others
Mosley: We may lose one or two more F1 teams
12 September 2009

At the end of July BMW announced that it will withdraw its Formula One team from from the sport at the end of the 2009 season. According to FIA president Max Mosley, F1 could lose another one or even two more car manufacturers plus the possible same amount of the private teams.

Speaking about next year's Formula One grid, Mosley is unsure if the fans will be able to enjoy 13 teams being on the grid. "I think we may lose another one or two car manufacturers and there's also one or two of the private teams who will find it difficult to survive," the Englishman said.

"I'd stake my worldly goods on Ferrari being there but not on all the manufacturers - but I may be wrong."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/09/ ... -f1-teams/

If he thinks that we may lose 1 or 2 existing teams and 1 or 2 of the future teams may find it difficult to actually commit to F1 or survive in F1; there will be no 13 teams in 2010; there will be more like 8-9 teams and the 3-car-per-team idea would not only become true but rather mandatory.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 12 Sep 2009, 15:23

Martin Whitmarsh wrote:If it's only about letting the three best drivers drive the three best cars, I am not sure
So Raikkonen, Alonso and Massa are the three best drivers in the field are they Martin? I think Lewis should be told about his team boss' views... :p
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Jaguar
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Jaguar » 15 Sep 2009, 12:53

3 cars pet team ? no thanks , i don't want to see a podium full of Ferrari - McLaren so 6 points slots taken by 2 teams left are 2 places , god knows who will be best to reach those 2 .. even if the points system is extended to reach 10th place still i disagree it .. 3rd driver for Fridays as few years ago i'd agree not more than this

virtuso13
car driver
car driver

Post by virtuso13 » 26 Sep 2009, 17:15

just another ferrari move to bring back schoomi .

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 26 Sep 2009, 21:34

Jos Verstappen had an idea: allow 3rd car, but only in friday practices, considering talents like Hülkenberg, etc. to give it a go
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at