Can Hamilton win the championship?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 38

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 16 Apr 2007, 16:55

Well, someone was going to ask the question sooner rather than later.

Can he win the championship this season?

i think mclaren will ask him to back Alonso this year, next year should be interesting
he is amazing, but i don't think the championship will be his. he drives like an old master but he's not, not yet.

mschumi
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mschumi » 16 Apr 2007, 17:22

Well, i don't really think so, because there are also drivers like kimi, massa and alonso on the track, and if alonso get's a lead over hamilton, well he's chances will vanish. The batlle will be carried out between Alonso and Kimi, but it's a bit to early to make predictions, maybe after the first europe races, or after indi, we should get a better look about if hamilton has the chances, and who is the best driver, and has the best chance. :-k
GOGO Scuderia

arun_8
car driver
car driver

Post by arun_8 » 16 Apr 2007, 17:23

No he cannot win

theo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by theo » 16 Apr 2007, 17:26

i already did a poll u can see it in this section, in the weekly poll thread :D
GO KIMIIII....

crookid
car driver
car driver

Post by crookid » 16 Apr 2007, 18:32

i think he can do it, providing he can get a big enough gap on Alonso, however, if no gap, no championship. end of season decisions will go to the world champ, and that's just the way it goes. He will definitely be one to watch next season! :D/

Busi
Donator
Donator

Post by Busi » 16 Apr 2007, 18:38

If a McLaren wins it'll be Alonso unless he's very unlucky compared to Lewis. However I think it's gonna be for Kimi.
Alonso, future 5 times world champion

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 16 Apr 2007, 19:24

If Alonso & Hamilton are fighting for the championship, I think, Ron would favour his young boy first, that is Hamilton. He has been supporting him since his early teens and he is like his own child.

danny87
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by danny87 » 16 Apr 2007, 19:46

There's every possibility that he can win the championship.

He's in one of the top cars, he's fast, and has a lot of support, but if Alonso, scores more points in the next say 5 races, and has a fair few more points than him, then he may be told to support Fernando, but we will wait and see.......................

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 16 Apr 2007, 19:57

it has always been the rule that there is no first driver in the first few races of the season with Mc laren, and then, as the season end gets nearer, they will decide which driver will focus more on the championship

We could get a smililar situation as we did a number of years ago with Prost & Senna in the same team in 1988, where the new team driver won the championship that year

DaShowstoppa
car driver
car driver

Post by DaShowstoppa » 16 Apr 2007, 20:23

No, and I don't think people (the media) are doing him any favours by hyping the possibility. The guy hasn't won a race yet (though I think he will soon)

I dislike the way that the media in this country hypes up any young sportstar as the next "Michael Schumacher, George Best or Michael Johnson".

Yes Hamilton is impressive, yes he's gifted and I'm sure he'll win many GP's - but I've heard comparisons with Mansell and Hill already and after three starts I think it's way too premature. IMO Formula One is enough pressure for a 22Y/O to deal with - without everyone's unrealistic expectations.

Mike
"On a given day, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further" - Senna.

Kimppa06
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Kimppa06 » 16 Apr 2007, 22:23

Well the question is CAN he win, not WILL he win...

Will Hamilton win? probably not

Can Hamilton win? for sure why not?

To me, its not like he's fluked the first few rounds or something, he is the genuine leader of the championship of points through his fastest laps, qualifying ability and consistency. To me, yes, he can win the title, there is absolutely no reason why he cannot.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

I doubt it.

Post by Bobdredds » 17 Apr 2007, 00:51

There are sevcral reasons why I doubt it. As welll as the competition there is reliability. McLaren have an appalling record in the reliability stakes and the only reason that they are reliable at the moment is the car isnt yet on the limit. I believe this is down a change in development strategy. If you remember last season towards the end of the season both Renault and Ferrari had rare failures. The pressure on the teams is even greater this year I reckon that we will see a couple of failures and McLaren maybe one or two too many. Another charachteristic is for the setup window to narrow considerably the more development McLaren apply to car. Put Kimi Raikkonen in the mix and you will have the story why he had so many failures. Mind you McLaren could benefit most of all from the engine freeze in the future but not yet IMHO.

Ciao Bob

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Hamilton

Post by Bobdredds » 17 Apr 2007, 00:56

DaShowstoppa wrote:No, and I don't think people (the media) are doing him any favours by hyping the possibility. The guy hasn't won a race yet (though I think he will soon)

I dislike the way that the media in this country hypes up any young sportstar as the next "Michael Schumacher, George Best or Michael Johnson".

Yes Hamilton is impressive, yes he's gifted and I'm sure he'll win many GP's - but I've heard comparisons with Mansell and Hill already and after three starts I think it's way too premature. IMO Formula One is enough pressure for a 22Y/O to deal with - without everyone's unrealistic expectations.

However Hamilton himself has said that he is a contender. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/04/ ... tle_fight/

and McLaren are backing him.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/04/ ... e_mclaren/

So its game on Lewis, lets see what you got.

Ciao Bob

Mike

Kimppa06
kart driver
kart driver

Re: I doubt it.

Post by Kimppa06 » 17 Apr 2007, 02:00

Bobdredds wrote:There are sevcral reasons why I doubt it. As welll as the competition there is reliability. McLaren have an appalling record in the reliability stakes and the only reason that they are reliable at the moment is the car isnt yet on the limit. I believe this is down a change in development strategy. If you remember last season towards the end of the season both Renault and Ferrari had rare failures. The pressure on the teams is even greater this year I reckon that we will see a couple of failures and McLaren maybe one or two too many. Another charachteristic is for the setup window to narrow considerably the more development McLaren apply to car. Put Kimi Raikkonen in the mix and you will have the story why he had so many failures. Mind you McLaren could benefit most of all from the engine freeze in the future but not yet IMHO.

Ciao Bob
Well, this Mclaren is 95% redesigned, so last years results can be tossed out the window, bar 5%. also, we all know that no body in the world develops the car like the mclaren team, so im predicting they are going to kick some ass is spain and its going to be hard too. bahrain was the last time this season ferrari will have the edge.

FRFM00
car driver
car driver

Post by FRFM00 » 17 Apr 2007, 02:46

once lewis goes to the european tracks which he can probably drive with his eyes closed...its a wrap for everyone.