Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52

Fernando Alonso
36%
Luca Badoer
28%
Mirko Bortolotti
3%
Sebastien Bourdais
11%
Marc Gene
22%
Davide Rigon
No votes

Total votes: 36

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Felipe Massa Injury - Badoer to race until Massa returns

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 02 Sep 2009, 18:21

He's improving well, but the condition of his head looked much better on the older pictures you posted shail ... Must be me, this picture is taken much closer to his head.

icegirljenni
kart driver
kart driver

Post by icegirljenni » 03 Sep 2009, 08:01

The hole in his skull look visible. What i read from media was that a broken bone fragment was lodged close to his optic nerves, this was "removed"

So meaning to say he has lost some part of his skull, but for those who are not anatomy savvy, this is not the part that would leave a hole and expose his skull, That is not possible since the skull is enclosed in a cavity with fluids that suspend and protect the brain. What is mostly missing is the part of his skull that forms the eyebrow and regions close to that, but rest assured nowhere close to the inner cranium.

Having a plate will be painful to get used to at high G forces in a car as it is not a natural extension of your body like a bone that heals. It will need screws that penetrate into the near by skull structures to keep it in place. It is very sad they couldn't salvage that broken bone and mend it to allow it to heal, perhaps the bleeding must have been significant that the broken bones where beyond mending.

The small the plate the better and the lesser the healing time and pain.

And looks like Bourdais is out of the talk of replacement, he has signed to race in the super league series.

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/sep20 ... 789643.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/sep20 ... 725332.jpg

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 03 Sep 2009, 14:02

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78280

Force India releases Fisichella to Ferrari

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, September 3rd 2009, 13:50 GMT

Giancarlo FisichellaGiancarlo Fisichella will be the second Ferrari driver from the Italian Grand Prix after he was released from his contract by his Force India team on Thursday.

Following days of speculation about who would line up alongside Kimi Raikkonen now that Felipe Massa is out for the season, Force India confirmed that Fisichella would switch teams from the Italian Grand Prix.

The team said that discussions with Ferrari began in the last 24 hours, once it became clear that Massa was out for the season. Force India owner Dr Vijay Mallya said: "Giancarlo and his management team approached me yesterday with the proposal from Ferrari.

"For any Italian driver, a Ferrari race seat is a long-held dream and for Giancarlo it was no exception. No one should stand in the way of this. Furthermore the agreement will secure Giancarlo's long-term future with Ferrari and it would be incorrect to jeopardise this, particularly when Giancarlo has made such a vital contribution to Force India."

Force India is understood to have outstanding debts with Ferrari left over from its customer engine supply deal that ended last year - but Mallya said that commercial factors did not have a role in the outcome.

"We would like to stress that we have not agreed any financial settlement with Ferrari," he said. "This agreement has been made in good faith and for the good of Giancarlo and the sport in general. A competitive Italian driver in a Ferrari for Monza is a positive story for Formula 1, which can only help raise the sport's profile in these difficult times.

"We would like to thank Giancarlo for all his help over the past one and a half seasons and for delivering us our first World Championship points last weekend. He has been an integral part of the team and we owe him a great deal for his input behind the scenes and performance out on track. We wish him all the best for the future.

"For Force India, this sport is a team effort and removing one part, even a major one, will not significantly affect our performance. The competitiveness of the team seen in Belgium was a result of hard work in the factory and wind tunnel and we have further developments coming for the final races, so we are confident this momentum can be sustained. We are now looking forward to a strong finish to the season."

Force India has not made a decision who will drive alongside Adrian Sutil for the rest of the season, although it is expected that Vitantonio Liuzzi will step up from his test drive role.

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 03 Sep 2009, 14:05

F1 is not charity... They just don't want to say how much it cost...

phil1993

Re: Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race until Massa returns

Post by phil1993 » 03 Sep 2009, 14:44

Looks like the end of Fisi's career- he will not drive for Ferrari next year and I guess he will retire

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 03 Sep 2009, 14:46

phil1993 wrote:Looks like the end of Fisi's career- he will not drive for Ferrari next year and I guess he will retire

Test Driver.... :O

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

Post by JoostLamers » 03 Sep 2009, 15:54

As expected, well done Ferrari, well done Fisico, he desveres this. Liuzzi to race for FI is a dubble bonus for the Italians
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 03 Sep 2009, 16:03

As expected indeed. It'll be nice to see Liuzzi racing again too :O

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 03 Sep 2009, 16:20

The best solution for all parties.
Giancarlo can fulfill his dream, Ferrari have a competitive driver, the crowd have an italian in a Ferrari and Malliyah can promote his favourite Liuzzi into a race seat and mosk likely has his debt for the 2008 Ferrari engines removed or decreased.

But the part about Massa´s skull sounds very worrying to be honest.
I´m referring to icegirljenni´s post. Sounds like it´s 50-50 whether he can race a complete season again at the moment in my oppinion.

f1anatic
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1anatic » 03 Sep 2009, 16:33

Which means it is certainly the end of the line for Badoer. With Fissichella replacing him as test driver. Ferrari do not need that many drivers. Assuming they keep Gene; they surely have Fisichela, then there is also Michael that they have around; they surely do not need to keep around someone who comes dead last thru sheer...sloweness when the other driver is winning the race.

Sorry Badoer.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Sep 2009, 16:34

hannibal_rising wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Looks like the end of Fisi's career- he will not drive for Ferrari next year and I guess he will retire

I meant retire from racing :O

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 03 Sep 2009, 16:45

hannibal_rising wrote:

Test Driver now-a-days is almost retirement with pension :lol:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 03 Sep 2009, 16:49

Zack wrote:
hannibal_rising wrote:

Test Driver....
Test Driver now-a-days is almost retirement with pension

In fact...

Some time ago (this year) during a race in the italian TV Luca Badoer was one of the commentators, and they ask him about that, because he did not have much to do, and he didn't like much the question... :lol: He almost leave... :p

MP4/4#12
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by MP4/4#12 » 03 Sep 2009, 17:11

Fisico deserves all this, i honestly wish him all the best !

Nbuulb
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Nbuulb » 03 Sep 2009, 17:27

I think Fisichella isn't the best choice. He's experienced, but rarely got remarkable results in his career.
Choosing a young and quick driver like Kubica would have been better, or even a driver with no contract, like Bourdais.
blizzard wrote:The best solution for all parties. [...] the crowd have an italian in a Ferrari
And no, most Italians don't like Fisichella very much... I'm one of those! :p