Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52

Fernando Alonso
36%
Luca Badoer
28%
Mirko Bortolotti
3%
Sebastien Bourdais
11%
Marc Gene
22%
Davide Rigon
No votes

Total votes: 36

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Felipe Massa Injury - Badoer to race until Massa returns

Post by megasyxx » 27 Aug 2009, 19:41

Luca Badoer Update
saw these on twitter during the race and qually
brilliant, but cruel winking smiley

Luca Badoer Update: He's still not going very fast.

Luca Badoer Update: He's still trying to finish the first practice session.

Luca Badoer Update: Complaining of a sore neck "as it worked for Schumacher". Possibly.

Luca Badoer Update: He's never been to Valencia before, so is looking at the sights.

Luca Badoer Update: "I learned all I know from Kimi." Currently enjoying an ice cream and Coke by the beach. Maybe.

Luca Badoer Update: Misunderstood meaning of 'street circuit' and is driving a Ferrari road car.

Luca Badoer Update: He's now gone faster than Hamilton who retired after a couple of minutes. Really, we're telling the truth this time.

Luca Badoer Update: "I was just sticking to the speed limit. And those traffic lights are terrible."

Luca Badoer Update: Has never driven at Valencia before, and is relying on his TomTom.

Luca Badoer Update: Heidfeld suggests he's "just plain slow". Although we may have misheard him...

Luca Badoer Update: "I thought the practice session ended an hour ago?"

Luca Badoer Update: Mixes up pit lane speed limit button. Turned it off in the pitlane, and on while out on track.

Luca Badoer Update: Mixes up KERS button and pit lane speed limiter button.

Luca Badoer Update: Practice session stopped to give Badoer time to catch up.

Luca Badoer Update: Qualifying extended to four sessions to give him a chance.

Luca Badoer Update: After recalculating the times, he's actually qualified in 34th position.

Luca Badoer Update: Is skipping Valencia and going straight to Spa to get a week long head start.

Luca Badoer Update: Not concerned about his pace as he's "going faster than I did last time I raced an F1 car."

Luca Badoer Update: He's just turning up in the paddock, ready to race later this afternoon. Oh...

Luca Badoer Update: Has just started the formation lap.

Luca Badoer Update: Left his TomTom at the hotel, so is going back to get it.

Luca Badoer Update: Badoer just lapped faster than anyone, apart from the 19 other drivers.

Luca Badoer Update: Has just finished his first lap.

Luca Badoer Update: Feeling all Spanish, and is having a mid-race siesta.

Luca Badoer Update: Schumacher to take his place at the next stop, even with a broken neck. Will still be quicker.

Luca Badoer Update: Is being caught by continental drift.

Luca Badoer Update: Saw a beach side ice cream shop, stopped for refreshments.

Luca Badoer Update: Has nearly completed lap nine. Nearly.

Luca Badoer Update: Is expected to finish the race in time for the Italian GP.

Luca Badoer Update: New personal best lap of 4h38:12.894.

Luca Badoer Update: Managed to have a crash in Parc Ferme. Really. Ran in to the back of Adrian Sutil. Oops.

Thanks for following us this weekend - it's been great fun. We're off to apologise to Luca Badoer, if he's finished yet. See you in Spa.

Luca Badoer Update: He's finding the Monday rush hour traffic demanding, but hopes to finish the race soon.

Courtesy of: Tuscan Boy - from another planet :)

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 27 Aug 2009, 19:43

That's brilliant ! don't forget the NobleF1 Luca Badoer updates ... :lol:

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 27 Aug 2009, 21:49

So Funny!! :rofl:
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 28 Aug 2009, 11:39

impatientinventor wrote:Massa looks pretty good... Any muscle damage like Schui's that might prevent him from getting back into the car in the next month or so?
i dont think we can find that now, maybe once he starts training and strats karting, if there are any issues then it might come out..Although MSC was ok with karting and coudl do f1, so i think we have to wait for a friday session to find out if massa is totally fit..

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 28 Aug 2009, 16:05

From the official Ferrari website!:
Waiting list
Spoiler:
It might not be the best season for the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, but the possibility to drive one of the Reds must be very appetising, at least when one considers the number of drivers, who have been brought up by the media and the fans and even by some of the drivers themselves as candidates for Felipe Massa’s F60 number 3, without even considering some suggestions from the afterworld…
The list is so long that almost every letter in the alphabet has a corresponding driver…but let’s see the details:

A as in Fernando Alonso
B as in Jules Bianchi, Mirko Bortolotti and Sebastien Bourdais
C as in David Coulthard
D as in Anthony Davidson
F as in Giancarlo Fisichella and Luca Filippi
G as in Marc Gené
H as in Nico Hulkenberg
K as in Robert Kubica
L as in André Lotterer and Vitantonio Liuzzi
P as in Nelson Piquet (Jr.) and Giorgio Pantano
R as in Valentino Rossi and Davide Rigon
S as in Takuma Sato and Bruno Senna
T as in Jarno Trulli
V as in Jos Verstappen
Before anyone feels offended we want to underline that we have the highest respect for all of these drivers and we apologise also in the name of those who brought up their names to those who haven’t been mentioned, like Lewis Hamilton or Jenson Button, but there’s always time for some fresh ideas.

Code: Select all

http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pages/090827_F1_Waiting_list.aspx
:lol:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 28 Aug 2009, 16:41

:rofl:

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 28 Aug 2009, 18:02

Well, if I was them, I wouldn´t make a joke of it. Some very good drivers mentioned in that list. I would even react today and either start saturday and sunday only with Kimi or get another driver ready for tomorrow´s free practice.
Badoer is more than s***. How could this guy win the F3000 in the early 90s?

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 Aug 2009, 20:38

[mod]Please keep this topic to discuss Massa's situation . Please check this topic Who would you get to replace Badoer[/mod]

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 31 Aug 2009, 17:13

Ferrari to wait on Monza driver decision

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, August 30th 2009, 17:23 GMT

Ferrari will wait for the outcome of Felipe Massa's medical examination in Miami on Monday before deciding on its driver plans for the Italian GP.

Massa is to undergo a check by renowned doctor Steve Olvey, which should provide a clear indication of how long the Brazilian will be out of action for.

Once the team is aware of that verdict, Ferrari will then decide on whether to stick with current replacement Luca Badoer for Monza or put another driver in the car.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said: "With regard to what we are going to do for the next races, we will tell you in the next three days.

"We will use all our consideration following the medical check that Felipe will do tomorrow, and then we will put on the table all the different things that are correct and have been considered and then we will make a decision."

Domenicali dismissed reports in the Italian media that Fernando Alonso had agreed a switch deal from Renault, and ruled out the Spaniard as a contender.

Giancarlo Fisichella remains favourite for the drive, especially after his shock second place finish at Spa.

Domenicali also declined to comment on if Kimi Raikkonen's victory had changed the team's driver's plans for 2010, amid speculation that the team is trying to move the Finn aside for next year.

"No one has said anything different from the team point of view," said Domenicali.

"This is a lot of speculation. I really hope that you people keep writing that, because if this is Kimi's reaction then please do it day and night.

"It is important to understand the situation and I don't think it is a point of discussion that we need to start today. That is the answer."

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 01 Sep 2009, 10:24

Latest Massa update
Spoiler:
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, September 1st 2009, 10:15 GMT

Ferrari does not expect Felipe Massa to return to the Formula 1 cockpit until the start of the 2010 season following the results of his his medical examination in Miami on Monday.

The Brazilian visited the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit of the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami for a thorough examination by respected doctor Steve Olvey to asses his chances of recovery.

The prognosis was good, but the team said in a statement that with plastic surgery on Massa's skull due to be undertaken in the next few days, the team was not betting on Massa being ready to race in 2009.

"Obviously, the results of examination has been warmly welcomed in Maranello, in the sense that the team can count on Felipe 100% for the start of next season," said a Ferrari statement.

More to follow.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78235

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 01 Sep 2009, 10:36

joostlamers wrote:Latest Massa update
Spoiler:
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, September 1st 2009, 10:15 GMT

Ferrari does not expect Felipe Massa to return to the Formula 1 cockpit until the start of the 2010 season following the results of his his medical examination in Miami on Monday.

The Brazilian visited the Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit of the Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami for a thorough examination by respected doctor Steve Olvey to asses his chances of recovery.

The prognosis was good, but the team said in a statement that with plastic surgery on Massa's skull due to be undertaken in the next few days, the team was not betting on Massa being ready to race in 2009.

"Obviously, the results of examination has been warmly welcomed in Maranello, in the sense that the team can count on Felipe 100% for the start of next season," said a Ferrari statement.

More to follow.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78235
Ferrari statement:

Maranello, 1st September 2009 – It was a long day yesterday for Felipe Massa, seen by doctors. The Ferrari driver flew to Miami on Sunday for some important check ups carried out by Professor Stephen Olvey, Head of the Jackson Memorial Hospital Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit.

The checks (neurometric and impact tests, cognitive capacity tests) all had a positive outcome, just like the eye exam: everything is in order for Felipe to get back to racing. Now there has just to be carried out some plastic surgery at the brain box, where the spring at the accident at the Hungaroring hit his helmet. The surgery will take place in the upcoming days. After a short convalescence Felipe can then gradually start with physical preparations.

“I’m very happy about the results,” Felipe told the official Ferrari website before boarding the plane back to Sao Paulo. “After the small surgery in the next days I can finally start to go to the gym to get back into shape and drive some tests in karts. On the track with a Formula 1 single-seater? Let’s take it step by step: at the moment I’m concentrating on taking up physical activities, which is a great step forward.”

Naturally the results were received with great joy and satisfaction at Maranello with the prospect to be able to count on Felipe 100% for the start of the next racing season.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 01 Sep 2009, 13:58

Now they really need a good replacement driver. We have 5? races to go?
Poor Felipe, will be tough to start from scratch after not sitting in an F1 car for 6 months...

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 01 Sep 2009, 19:49

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/0...ace-this-year/

Massa in good shape, but unlikely to race this year
Felipe Massa says that he got a thumbs up from his visit to top motor sport doctor Steve Olvey in Florida this weekend. He is to be allowed to resume training after a small medical procedure in the next few days. But a statement from Ferrari suggests that he will be training for a return in 2010, not this season.

“I’m very happy with the outcome of the exams,” Massa said. “After the small surgery that I will have done in the next few days I can finally start working out a little in the gym to get back in form, and then I can start some kart training.

“When will I be back on a Formula One track? Let’s take one step at a time. Right now I’m just focused on starting physical activity again, which is already a big step forward.”

As far as I know the operation he needs is to replace a section of the frontal lobe of his skull, on the left side above his eyebrow, about two inches by an inch, which was removed when he had his original surgery. It is apparently quite a simple procedure, to replace it with a carbon plate or similar, but there is a mandatory 20 day recovery period afterwards.

Although Massa is not saying when he expects to be driving again, one of the main purposes of his visit was to establish a date, so that Ferrari can make a decision on what it does driver-wise for the remainder of this season and next. Team boss Stefano Domenicali said on Sunday that he would be announcing his plans in three days, which is tomorrow (Wednesday).

The tone of Ferrari’s reaction to today’s news implies that they do not expect to see Massa in a car again this season, “Obviously, the results of examination has been warmly welcomed in Maranello, in the sense that the team can count on Felipe 100% for the start of next season,” it said.

Today’s development makes it more likely that the team will now call on the services of Spa pole sitter Giancarlo Fisichella, with Tonio Liuzzi stepping up to a race seat at Force India.

shailf1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by shailf1 » 02 Sep 2009, 18:17