Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52

Fernando Alonso
36%
Luca Badoer
28%
Mirko Bortolotti
3%
Sebastien Bourdais
11%
Marc Gene
22%
Davide Rigon
No votes

Total votes: 36

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Schumacher set to replace Massa from Valencia - Cancelled

Post by blizzard » 11 Aug 2009, 09:43

• His best grid position is 12th, which he delivered for Minardi at the 1995 Hungarian Grand Prix. In the race he finished 8th.

to be honest, that was a great performance in a Minardi, same with Nürburgring 99, he would have finished 4th without the technical problems.

The problem is, the grid is now seperated by tenths and hundreths instead of 5-7 seconds like it was in the 90´s. So beeing 5 tenths slower than Kimi does mean out in Q1 these days, whereas in the 90´s it only meant 1o 2 positions.

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 11 Aug 2009, 09:44

After reading the 10 facts all I hope is a crashfest

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 11 Aug 2009, 11:12

phil1993 wrote:Autosport's 10 facts about Luca Badoer (we mean we know you know nothing about this guy)
After 12 years of service as Ferrari's test driver, and almost a decade since his last grand prix, Luca Badoer is probably as surprised as many observers about getting a chance to race again as Kimi Raikkonen's temporary team-mate.

Felipe Massa's injuries from his Hungarian GP accident, allied to Michael Schumacher's inability to race, have left the door open for Badoer to get at least another grand prix under his belt.

Here are 10 facts about the Italian

• Luca Badoer's return to F1 means there will now be two drivers in the field who competed in the 1993 season. Both he and Rubens Barrichello made their debuts that year.

• Badoer's promotion to F1 in 1993 came after a title-winning F3000 campaign the year before, where he took the crown with four wins.

• Badoer's F1 return means he will be the oldest driver in the field - taking over that honour from Barrichello. The Italian is currently 38 years old.

• His promotion to Ferrari race seat means Badoer will still only have driven for Italian teams in F1. He has previously raced for Scuderia Italia, Minardi and Forti Corse.

• Badoer is Ferrari's longest serving test driver, having originally begun work for them back in 1998.

• Despite having competed in 48 grands prix, Badoer never scored a point. His best finish was 7th in the 1993 San Marino Grand Prix.

• Badoer's failure to score a point gives him the distinction of being the driver with the most race starts who has not achieved that feat.

• His best grid position is 12th, which he delivered for Minardi at the 1995 Hungarian Grand Prix. In the race he finished 8th.

• Luca Badoer famously broke down in tears at the 1999 European Grand Prix after his car stopped with gearbox failure as he seemed en route to fourth place.

• Badoer's near 10-year gap between his last race at the 1999 Japanese Grand Prix and his return in Valencia is not quite as big as the 10 years and three months between Jan Lammers' races in the 1982 Dutch and 1992 Japanese Grand Prix.

Another fact about Badoer... he is on f1rejects!!

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/badoer/index.html

Ferrari wanted Schumacher because they need the points... Hard to believe that Badoer will give them any ... but who knows... He didn't race with good teams during his F1 years, so at least the possibility is there...

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 11 Aug 2009, 11:17

hannibal_rising wrote:Another fact about Badoer... he is on f1rejects!!
:lol: :lol:

interesting stuff about Badoer on f1rejects.
Badoer failed to impress the Benetton hierarchy at the end of 1993 in this test, and lost the chance to partner Michael Schumacher in 1994

shämito
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Felipe Massa Injury - Replacement: Luca Badoer confirmed

Post by shämito » 11 Aug 2009, 15:01

Badoer will score some points in Valencia, I hope.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Aug 2009, 15:42

As a cruel irony, his three letter abbreviation like ALO or HAM will be 'BAD' :rofl:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 11 Aug 2009, 15:57

phil1993 wrote:As a cruel irony, his three letter abbreviation like ALO or HAM will be 'BAD' :rofl:
:rofl: hahaha, great find phil :rofl:

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 11 Aug 2009, 16:11

I'm delighted for him, he desevres it considering all the bad luck he's had and the loyalty he's shown Ferrari. And we don't have a clue where he'll finish, that will be a point of interest in Valencia.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Aug 2009, 18:41

Its been his dream to race a Ferrari and now he gets the chance
Spoiler:

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Totopupu » 11 Aug 2009, 19:41

I am sure Badoer is a talented driver. If not, Ferrari will not have keep him during 11 years.

And I am waiting to see how he is going to drive? better than Raikkonen or behind Alguersari??
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Aug 2009, 19:43

I think if Kimi will be kind of P6-7, (behind RBRs, Rosberg, Lewis ad Button) then Badoer will be around 14th or 15th, ahead of FIFIs and STRs... he is not a bad driver, but Valencia maybe isn't the best place to start :p

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 11 Aug 2009, 19:44

Totopupu wrote:I am sure Badoer is a talented driver. If not, Ferrari will not have keep him during 11 years.

And I am waiting to see how he is going to drive? better than Raikkonen or behind Alguersari??
It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Unfortunately, I'm thinking he could be behind Alguersuari...
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 12 Aug 2009, 09:38

phil1993 wrote:... he is not a bad driver, but Valencia maybe isn't the best place to start :p
I agree with you phil. I am sure he's a pretty good driver but Valencia is a very technical and difficult circuit. Especially to start

hannibal_rising
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by hannibal_rising » 12 Aug 2009, 12:50

Niki Lauda Words:
"For Ferrari is a disaster. Badoer is only a tester. He won't be fast. It will be like Kimi Raikkonen running alone"
Article (in Italian):
http://www.repubblica.it/2009/07/sport/ ... uncia.html

Not much faith in this guy... :p
Last edited by hannibal_rising on 12 Aug 2009, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 12 Aug 2009, 12:55

According to last rumours Massa will be back in Singapore. No source available yet

btw. The press conference ended. Here's a report from gpupdate

Schumacher: It was never confirmed
12 August 2009
Michael Schumacher held a press conference in Geneva on Wednesday in order to clarify the latest goings on surrounding both him and the Ferrari team. The German seven-time World Champion has stressed his disappointment at being unable to race in Valencia next weekend but wishes all the best to team-mate Luca Badoer.

With Schumacher, who was due to sit in the place of Felipe Massa, now also left on the sidelines with injuries, some believe that his fear for a lack of pace after a two and a half year break may have contributed to the Monday night decision of pulling out. "Speculation in this business is natural," Michael commented. "I'm very disappointed not to do what I was looking forward to doing and that is all I am really thinking about and have to digest right now."

With Ferrari's options then being either of the reverse drivers, Luca Badoer or Marc Gené, the Scuderia elected to run the Italian in a race for the first time. "Luca is a very good friend," Schumacher continued. ""He has prepared himself quite strongly to be ready for all the years (since joining Ferrari as a test driver in 1998).

"He has always been ready and he has been working hard since Felipe's accident. I always said that I had to confirm if I could do it and that he has had to be ready; a racer doesn't lose the racing spirit - I wish him well for the difficult task ahead but if I think of anybody I think of Luca."

Michael concluded by putting in a word for his former Brazilian team-mate, who continues to recover at home in São Paulo. "At the time I gave him my cockpit I was tired and I wanted him to take over," the 40-year-old said of Massa. "It's good to see his progress and I am very happy about it."

Code: Select all

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/08/12/schumacher-it-was-never-confirmed/
on the question if he might race in Monza or 2010 he says he's got other stuff to think about first :n