Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52

Fernando Alonso
36%
Luca Badoer
28%
Mirko Bortolotti
3%
Sebastien Bourdais
11%
Marc Gene
22%
Davide Rigon
No votes

Total votes: 36

phil1993

Re: Felipe Massa Injury/Replacement

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 19:07

Barrichello and Piquet have set up a twitter page for Massa to read and I have sent him this message:

'Felipe, the whole of the F1Zone.net community is thinking of you with all our love.'

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Jul 2009, 19:16

phil1993 wrote:Barrichello and Piquet have set up a twitter page for Massa to read and I have sent him this message:

'Felipe, the whole of the F1Zone.net community is thinking of you with all our love.'
Yes, I've seen it but I couldn't understand how I can send a message. Nelson wrote #followmonday thing. What is #followmonday :huh:

Anyway, it's nice message. I hope you can reply them by himself very soon :pray:
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 19:20

I also sent him a message from my account

http://twitter.com/Forza_Felipe

Piquet says :'Leave your message and we will deliver everything, including to [I think he means 'your'] account, to Felipe!'

miladjuckel
car driver
car driver

Felipe Massa Injury/Replacement

Post by miladjuckel » 28 Jul 2009, 05:24

Ferrari boss not ruling out Schumacher return
Spoiler:
Stefano Domenicali on Monday refused to rule out the possibility that Michael Schumacher may return to replace Felipe Massa at forthcoming grands prix.

"It would be wrong to say yes or no at this stage," the Ferrari team boss told the Der Tagesspiegel newspaper.

With the Maranello based team minimally needing to fill the injured Massa's cockpit for the next several grands prix, the Italian press on Sunday piled pressure on Ferrari to bring its most successful driver out of retirement.

"Now Ferrari needs Schumi," said La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm insisted the 40-year-old is not due to make any statements in the next few days, but press sources indicate the German has not personally ruled out making a temporary comeback.

Corriere della Sera, however, noted that Schumacher's fitness still has not returned to 100 per cent following his motorcycle testing crash some months ago.

The seven time world champion also made no mention of the possibility when he posted a message on his official website wishing Massa a speedy recovery.

Other names mentioned for Massa's drive include Nico Hulkenberg, who is handled by Schumacher's manager Willi Weber, as well as Fernando Alonso, Sebastien Bourdais and Nelson Piquet.

Referring to Marc Gene and Luca Badoer, meanwhile, Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni said of the need to replace Massa: "We have two test drivers."

Italy's Corriere dello Sport also mentioned Mirko Bortolotti, the teenaged reigning Italian F3 champion who over the past winter broke the F1 record during his maiden test at Fiorano.

"We are going to decide without pressure," said Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo as he visited Massa in a Budapest hospital. "When we make our decision, it will be a good one."

Domenicali added: "We are going to think about it this week."

this article was directly copied from worldcarfans.com

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Re: Ferrari boss not ruling out Schumacher return

Post by Zack » 28 Jul 2009, 08:56

oh no!
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Ferrari boss not ruling out Schumacher return

Post by Ali » 28 Jul 2009, 09:12

Zack wrote:oh no!
Personally I very much like to see Schumi in a Red car again. For that, I could even fly to Spain or Italy just to see him lapping. But on the other hand, I fear that he might be slow enough to damage his reputation. I don't wanna see him being let's say half a second off Raikkonen's pace. That would not only hurt him, but me. I hope he is wise wnough to assess his driving ability and drivers reflexes.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 28 Jul 2009, 09:53

Will Massa race again?
An article from Pitpass
Back in 1999, when Michael Schumacher was injured in a first lap accident during the British Grand Prix, and several times since, Dr Iain Corness - aka Pitpass' Medical Delegate - has given his invaluable medical opinion, more often than not proving to be 100% correct.

In the wake of Felipe Massa's accident at the Hungaroring, and in light of some of the more sensational reportage, The Doc has come up with the following, though he is at pains to point out that he is not a Neurosurgeon or an Ophthalmologist. Furthermore, it must be made clear that he has not examined Felipe, nor is he privy to the scans that have been taken, or the operation notes.

With this in mind, Iain writes:

As the world has been made very aware, Felipe Massa suffered a head injury during Qualifying at the Hungaroring on Saturday. The injury came from what we call "blunt trauma"; to the left side of his forehead, just above his eye.

As I write this, the doctors in Hungary are being cautiously optimistic as regards the contusion to the brain, but are also saying that it is too early to tell the degree of possible damage to his left eye.

I am not a Neurosurgeon, nor am I an Ophthalmologist, but I was a Medical Assessor for the Confederation of Australian Motor Sports (CAMS) for 25 years, and from that point of view, the main problem for Massa in returning to F1, as I see it, is going to be a vision situation.

Blunt trauma to the forehead, enough to fracture the skull and produce brain concussion will most likely have fractured the orbit, in which the eye sits, with the optic nerve going through the rear of the orbit to the brain proper. The orbit is like an eggshell and is made up of seven facial bones, with the frontal bone, being the top of the orbit margin, and trauma transmitted to it may produce other orbit fractures. The fractured bone(s) and swelling after trauma can damage the optic nerve and alter the position of the globe of the eye within the cup-like orbit, or trap the muscles which move the eye in various directions. (Sorry to be a little technical here, but it is necessary that you understand the anatomy.)

Forgetting the brain concussion for now (from which he most likely will recover, though in a best-case scenario that will be measured in months, not weeks), damage to the orbit/optic nerve will be at least a few months before the swelling settles, even if the anatomy is not disturbed and damage to the optic nerve is bruising only. The likelihood of greater damage is high.

The principal morbidity associated with orbital fractures is eye injury. Associated injuries include corneal abrasion, lens dislocation, iris disruption, choroid tear, scleral tear, ciliary body tear or bruise, retinal detachment and tear, hyphema, ocular muscle entrapment, and globe rupture.

Any of the conditions listed above can cause vision problems, and an F1 competitor needs two good eyes which work together. Consequently, I would not expect Felipe Massa to be back in the cockpit this year, and indeed I would go so far as to suggest this may be the end of his racing career. I hope not, but it would not surprise.

Code: Select all

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=38582

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jul 2009, 09:56

Coulthard: 'This is a time for cool heads'
With Felipe Massa's Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying crash and the tragic accident of Formula Two's Henry Surtees just six days before having both been caused by striking debris on race tracks, greater head protection is now being considered in the sport. Closed off cockpits is a possible solution, although David Coulthard is less convinced.

Having first competed in Formula One as replacement to the late Ayrton Senna at Williams in 1994, the start of Coulthard's F1 career came after a shocking wake-up call for the sport as Roland Ratzenberger and Senna had both lost their lives on one fateful weekend. "During my career it was not all that unusual to be hit by bits of flying debris - stones that were kicked up by cars ahead and so on," Coulthard explained to The Telegraph. "It is an inherent weakness in the design of a Formula One car and a basic risk of open-cockpit racing.

"Perhaps it surprises non-F1 fans that the most vulnerable area of the body is the least protected but I would argue that this feature is indispensable; we could close the cockpit and build machines that are more like touring cars, but that would go against the essence of our sport. Although we have seen two awful crashes in a week, I would advocate the exercise of restraint rather than jump to any knee-jerk response. Safety is uppermost in people's minds right now but that shouldn't influence decisions. Yes, a wheel came off Fernando Alonso's Renault during the race on Sunday, but I think the decision to suspend the team for Valencia next month was harsh and a conscious response to recent events."

Although it may be somewhat a cliché, Coulthard has reminded all that 'Motor racing is dangerous' but agrees that safety remains a paramount concern. "Of course you can try to make it as safe as possible but sometimes accidents do happen," he continued. "Both the incident in F2 involving Henry Surtees and the one involving Ferrari F1 driver Felipe Massa were desperately unfortunate; if either car had crashed into a barrier and the driver had been struck on the head by some sort of projectile then it would have been unlucky, but both guys were on the track and doing their jobs."

The Scot went on to stress that there have already been a number of close shaves in recent years from which drivers' survival should not be taken for granted. "After my crash in Melbourne in 2007, when I went over the top of Alexander Wurz's car, they made the sides of the cockpits higher," he explained. "From what I'm hearing, the new reinforced carbon-fibre helmet is what saved Massa's life on Saturday. Nevertheless, there is no getting away from the fact that the head is still exposed to oncoming debris, which begs the question: should there be some sort of screen to deflect flying objects?

"I heard Ross Brawn (Brawn GP team principal) saying that any sort of shield would be shattered by a metal spring weighing a kilo and travelling at 170 miles per hour, but what do they use on planes? You can always develop newer, stronger materials and anything that absorbed energy would at least reduce the risk of fatality or serious injury. As for helmets and visors, they can be made stronger still, although the issue of weight is a factor. I'm all for improving the safety in Formula One; I just don't want to see the essence of the sport compromised - this is a time for cool heads."

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/07/28/this-is-a-time-for-cool-heads-coulthard/
Interesting article Ali. I have to say I doubt he'll be back for a few races at the very least, but Barrichello said he can see with both eyes and its just the swelling above his eye that is stopping him from opening it himself; although they have to wait and see if there is damage, because if there is, then he cannot race. But even if he can, will he be the same Felipe?

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 28 Jul 2009, 10:07

phil1993 wrote: Interesting article Ali. I have to say I doubt he'll be back for a few races at the very least, but Barrichello said he can see with both eyes and its just the swelling above his eye that is stopping him from opening it himself; although they have to wait and see if there is damage, because if there is, then he cannot race. But even if he can, will he be the same Felipe?
You know, what caught my eye is some drivers did very good indeed after their huge crashes. Kubica, Glock and Kovalainen to name a few.

After his huge accident in Canada, Kubica managed to be 4th in the very next race he participated. So did Glock. After his crash in Germany last year, he managed to step up on the podium in Hungary, which was the next race he raced. Kovalainen? After his big accident in Spain last year, he qualified in the front row in the next race, Turkish GP. And Schumi. After he broke his leg in 1999 Silverstone, he couldn't race for some races but then he managed to grasp 5 title.

I know they are not in the same league with Massa's accident but still there is a hope for him to be better. There is always hope.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jul 2009, 10:09

Yes, I said the other day that some get better, some get worse. Hopefully its the first of these

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jul 2009, 10:49

Massa might leave hospital in 10 days :D

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 28 Jul 2009, 10:58

Schumacher would consider return
Michael Schumacher is not ruling out the possibility of standing in for injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa. The Brazilian is recovering in hospital after suffering a fractured skull at the Hungarian Grand Prix and is likely to be out for the rest of the year. "The whole thing will be considered by Ferrari. If they approach Michael, then he will consider it," the seven-time champion's spokeswoman told BBC Sport. "But there is no reason for him to step into their discussion."
Spoiler:
Schumacher, who retired from Formula 1 at the end of the 2006 season, told the BBC in an interview at the German Grand Prix two weeks ago that he was not interested in returning to F1.

However, his spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said that was a reference to a permanent return.

"Usually, I would say he's not interested because he's fine with his life and he doesn't miss anything but now the situation is so different - it's very hypothetical - and Michael doesn't want to step into that [discussion]," she stated.

She added that Schumacher still trained every day but that she did not know whether he was fit enough to race an F1 car again.

"Michael had a motorcycle accident in February when he had a neck problem - and I really can't tell you if his neck would be fine to drive an F1 race," she said.

"If Ferrari asked him whether he would consider driving, he would have it checked - and remember he is a 40-year-old man, too."

Massa has had surgery on a fractured skull sustained when a spring from Rubens Barrichello's Brawn hit him on the helmet at more than 160mph during qualifying in Hungary on Saturday.

He is in a "severe but not critical" condition, according to the hospital that is treating him in Budapest and there is also concern about damage to his left eye.

The surgeon treating him, Robert Veres, revealed it was "too early to say" whether Massa would be able to compete again.

But he will almost certainly not be able to drive at the next race, the European Grand Prix in Valencia in Spain on 23 August - and probably not for the rest of the year either.

Schumacher, who won a record 91 grands prix in his career, is under contract to the team after taking on a consultancy role following his retirement.

The German is close to Massa, who was his team-mate in his final season, and has taken a close interest in the Brazilian's career.

But he has not driven an F1 car since 2007 and may consider that he has nothing to gain from a temporary return.

A number of other drivers have been mentioned as possible replacements for Massa.

Among them is Renault's Fernando Alonso, who is expected to move to Ferrari in 2010 anyway - although the team have not confirmed that report and the Spaniard has denied it.

Renault have been banned from the Valencia race after allowing Alonso to return to the track with a loose wheel following a pit stop.

The wheel and its fairing both became detached from the car as he toured slowly back to the pits - an alarming sight only 24 hours after Massa's accident.

Renault have appealed against the decision to suspend them and a hearing of the court of appeal of governing body the FIA is expected in the next couple of weeks.

It has been speculated that Alonso's move to Ferrari may simply be brought forward - but that would leave Renault without a recognised top driver for the rest of the season.

The team were on the verge of sacking Alonso's team-mate Nelson Piquet before the Hungarian race and while Alonso, a two-time world champion, qualified on pole in Hungary, Piquet qualified 15th and finished 12th in a similar car.

Ferrari have two reserve drivers, the Spaniard Marc Gene and the veteran Italian Luca Badoer.

Spaniard Gene - who raced intermittently for Williams as a stand-in during 2003/2004 and has competed in 36 races with a best result of sixth - is the more likely to be given the drive.

Badoer has been a test driver for Ferrari but has not raced since 1999 and has never scored a world championship point.

A number of other drivers have been mentioned as possible stand-ins.

The most qualified, Schumacher aside, is BBC F1 pundit David Coulthard, who won 13 grands prix before retiring at the end of last season. He is under contract to Red Bull, who would need to give him permission to race if Ferrari approached him.

Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais, who was sacked by the Toro Rosso team before the Hungarian Grand Prix, has been mentioned as he has the same manager as Massa - Frenchman Nicolas Todt.

And last winter, Italian Formula Three champion Mirko Bortolotti reportedly impressed Ferrari in a test. The 19-year-old is racing in Formula Two this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8172310.stm
//////////

Massa could leave hospital in 10 days
Felipe Massa's recovery is going so well that he could walk out of hospital by the end of next week, his doctor has said.

On the back of further encouraging signs about Massa's condition following the fractured skull he suffered in his qualifying accident for the Hungarian Grand Prix, doctors are now hopeful that he may be able to leave the AEK Hospital in Budapest soon.

Peter Bazso, the medical director of the hospital, told Hungarian TV channel M1 on Tuesday: "My expectation is that he would walk out of the hospital on his own. If his recovery continues at this pace, I wouldn't rule out that he could leave within 10 days."

Massa has been brought out of an induced coma and has now been taken off a respirator

"He's spending more and more time awake, talking to family and friends," Bazso said.

Massa's wife, parents, brother and manager Nicolas Todt have remained in hospital with him, and Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali is due to visit him on Tuesday.

However, while it remains uncertain about the extent of any eye injury that Massa may have suffered, Bazso has also said that Massa's condition must still be monitored closely.

"I would like to point out that although he's recovering, this is not the end of the story, he is still in a life-threatening condition," Bazso said. "Of course, the danger is decreasing by the day."

Massa's injuries were caused when he was struck on the helmet by a flying spring that had come off the back of Rubens Barrichello's Brawn GP car.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77391

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Jul 2009, 11:37

In the same BBC story, they say DC could fill in :rofl:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 172310.stm

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 28 Jul 2009, 12:05

andrebires
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by andrebires » 28 Jul 2009, 12:19

Massa already opened the left eye and answered questions in three languages (Portuguese, English and Italian).

http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/ ... R+BEM.html