Felipe Massa Injury - Fisichella to race to the end of 2009

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

If Massa cannot race, who should replace him?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2009, 18:52

Fernando Alonso
36%
Luca Badoer
28%
Mirko Bortolotti
3%
Sebastien Bourdais
11%
Marc Gene
22%
Davide Rigon
No votes

Total votes: 36

phil1993

Re: Felipe Massa Injury

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 14:02

Niki Lauda made a good point which is being hit by that spring at that speed is like being hit by a ton of metal - so Felipe was incredibly lucky but I think if he can make a comeback he should wait until 2010

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 27 Jul 2009, 14:14

phil1993 wrote:
iceman1 wrote:oops :(, I don't think his Family will let him race again.
He's 28, its his own decision.

But if he has an eye injury serious enough he won't race again, but remember JV and SeeBas both used glasses in F1
I don't think glasses will help in this case....

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 15:10

FIA to look into debris-related accidents
The FIA has asked its Safety Commission to work on a report about the accidents involving Henry Surtees and Felipe Massa.

Surtees was killed less than 10 days ago during an F2 race at Brands Hatch when he was hit in the head by a flying wheel from another car that had crashed earlier.

Less than a week later, Ferrari driver Massa was hit by a spring from Rubens Barrichello's car during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix, leading some F1 drivers to ask for work to improve safety.

On Monday, motorsport's ruling body announced it has asked the FIA Safety Commission to prepare a report with recommendations on how to try and improve the safety standards to avoid such accidents.

"FIA President Max Mosley has asked the FIA Safety Commission to prepare a report on the recent debris-related accidents in the FIA Formula One World Championship and FIA Formula Two Championship," said the FIA in a statement.

"The FIA Safety Commission, which is made up of medical and technical representatives from all areas of motor sport, will submit its report and recommendations to the World Motor Sport Council.

"Preliminary findings suggest the helmet being used by Felipe Massa may have played a significant role in limiting the injuries sustained. The FIA 8860 helmet, which took eight years to develop by the FIA and FIA Institute, provides increased protection in all key impact areas."

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77381

phil1993

Re: Felipe Massa Injury/Replacement

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 15:32

Ferrari optimistic about Massa's recovery
Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo has said he is optimistic about Felipe Massa’s condition after visiting the team’s injured driver in Budapest on Monday. Massa remains stable in hospital following surgery on skull fractures he sustained in his qualifying accident at the Hungaroring on Saturday.

"I'm confident and optimistic about Felipe's capacity to recover, also because he has excellent medical care and I want to thank the staff at the AEK hospital for the work they're doing,” said di Montezemolo after meeting with doctors, as well as Massa’s wife and parents.

"It was a serious and incredible accident, but thank God this is a different situation compared to 1976 when I went to see Niki Lauda after the accident at the Nurburgring,” added. “We have to wait, but the signs are encouraging."

Massa was scanned again on Monday morning without problem and hospital officials have reported he is now able to move his hands and legs. The extent of reported injury to his left eye has not yet been confirmed.

"Our priority is the recovery of Felipe as a man,” continued di Montezemolo. “He has been with us for a long time and he is part of the family and not just of the team... We're all waiting for him at Ferrari and I'm convinced that we'll see him again in one of our single-seaters and that he will be again on top."

Although it looks almost certain Massa will not be racing at the next round of the championship in Valencia next month, di Montezemolo said the team would not be rushing into selecting a stand-in driver.

“I'm heading back to Maranello with (team principal Stefano) Domenicali, who will make suggestions how to substitute the Brazilian driver until he returns, which I hope will be very soon. We'll make a decision when the time is right, considering that there's a break of a month now."

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9690.html

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 27 Jul 2009, 15:40

that sounds promisingf now even thoiugh we dont know much about his eye its still good news.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 27 Jul 2009, 15:59

I would like to salute Hungarian Marshals.. Medics .. Doctors and everyone :hatoff:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 16:23

Another replacement could be

Valentino Rossi - Jovial Italian who sometimes tests for the Scuderia. Tried to evade tax in London but had to pay back quite a lot of money and claimed - and it was - an honest mistake. Also rides bikes. Quite quickly.

andrebires
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by andrebires » 27 Jul 2009, 16:45

According to the site globo.com, Massa is out of the induced coma and he is able to see and speak, although still a
little confused.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 27 Jul 2009, 16:48

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Jul 2009, 17:15

Massa's family has allegedly told the Brazillian press that Felipe is awake, talking, and has good vision in both eyes. Edd Straw of Autosport has Twittered that the FIA doctor has said that Felipe is in good condition, can go home within the week and will be back racing 'soon'.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 27 Jul 2009, 17:37

We got 355 Visits from Twitter during the weekend.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Jul 2009, 17:49

iceman1 wrote:We got 355 Visits from Twitter during the weekend.
What's got to do with Massa's injury mate?

By the way, I read that Straw thing that Massa can go back to racing very soon. Is it possible just to have a reliable source to tell us what's going on? Anytime we have a condition, there is a flood of news/rumours.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 27 Jul 2009, 18:23

phil1993 wrote:Massa's family has allegedly told the Brazillian press that Felipe is awake, talking, and has good vision in both eyes. Edd Straw of Autosport has Twittered that the FIA doctor has said that Felipe is in good condition, can go home within the week and will be back racing 'soon'.
Really! :) I hope so bad that that story is true!! :pray: :thumbsup:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 27 Jul 2009, 18:27

Massa: Full recovery possible say doctors !yahoo: !yahoo: !yahoo:
Felipe Massa is continuing to improve as doctors at the ÁEK Hospital in Hungary where the Brazilian driver is being treated, denied earlier reports of eye damage and instead suggested he could make a full recovery.

Colonel Dr. Lajos Zsíros, the chief surgeon of the Hungarian Defence Forces, told a news conference on Monday that the 28-year-old had been woken from sedation on Monday afternoon, and was unlikely to be sedated again.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Zsíros. "His condition continues to be stable.

"During the CT-scan we performed we could ascertain that there was an improvement in his condition. We stopped sedation and after that Felipe Massa became capable of making contact."

"So in the afternoon we stopped the artificial ventilation of Felipe. As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously."

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound. Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Zsíros denied earlier reports that Massa had injured his left eye leading to speculation to his future participation in Formula 1. He explained it was too early to tell if there was any damage because Massa was still unable to open the eye because of the wound to his head: t is too early to answer this question.

"e can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined".

Zsíros made it clear however that a full recovery was still entirely possible for the Brazilian.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he pointed out. "Of course it isn't impossible."

When asked when they will be able to determine if Massa has suffered any kind of lasting injury, Zsíros said: "There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to ten days." He added that Massa would remain in intensive care as long as his condition made that necessary.

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Altmann said they haven't asked Massa yet if he was able to remember the accident. He also revealed that the operation on Saturday, which doctors described as "life-saving", was performed because of the skull damage, not because of brain swelling.

A spokesman to the ÁEK hospital confirmed Massa's family were already in Budapest, and a room was made available for them so they could stay with him at all times.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77383
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 27 Jul 2009, 18:40

definitely good news......massa's real lucky though, a mere inch or two off from the center of the visor things would be worse.