2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: 2010 Season Discussions: Line-ups, News and Regulations

Post by phil1993 » 19 Jul 2009, 13:00

Bernie Ecclestone believes Donington Park and Silverstone may have to end up sharing the British Grand Prix in the future if it means keeping the event on the calendar.

With Donington Park facing a race against time to raise the £80 million it needs to upgrade its facilities, Ecclestone dropped a further hint on Sunday that Silverstone could yet step into the breach.

Speaking to the Independent on Sunday, Ecclestone said: "If they don't do it, Donington will get together with Silverstone. If Silverstone do all the things they promised me they are going to do, we are going to be at Silverstone."

Ecclestone's comments come almost a month after he and FIA president Max Mosley dropped firm hints about Silverstone being given a British GP reprieve.

However, with time counting down for Silverstone to be able to get planning underway to host a race next year, one of its key figures has also questioned whether it would be worth embarking on a revamp to host the race every other year.

Damon Hill, president of the British Racing Drivers' Club that owns Silverstone, said: "I am not in favour of rotating it. I think it's an insult. It's another absurd step to try and squeeze as much profit and as much benefit for the commercial rights-holder. It's not a long-term strategy.

"I'm in favour of the contract for the British Grand Prix being negotiated with Silverstone because I don't believe that the Donington project is viable."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77070

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Jul 2009, 14:40

Danica Patrick has all but ruled out a switch to Formula 1, despite speculation linking her to the new Team US F1.

The IndyCar Series frontrunner, whose contract with Andretti Green Racing expires at the end of this season, is mulling over her options for 2010.

She could choose to remain in IndyCar, or make the switch to NASCAR, but it appears she has rejected trying to make the move to F1.

Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, Patrick was asked if she had narrowed down her search into a specific category and responded: "I'd say it's probably not F1."

Team US F1 has made it clear that it wants American drivers on board for next year, but Patrick claims the team has not made contact with her.

"I've had opportunities to take it a step further with Formula 1, and I don't want to lead anyone down a path," she said. "It's not in my heart to go there. I've explored Europe before.

"I particularly like to be here and I like my family and I like my friends and I like my creature comforts of my home country."

Patrick said that at the moment her mind was open about what she would do in the future.

"At the end of the day I've got to go with my gut about what I want to do," she said.

"At the end of the day the team has to make sense, the deal's got to make sense; the progression has to make sense. I might race IndyCar and never go to NASCAR at all. I'm not really sure right now. We'll see."

Speculation in the IndyCar paddock suggests that if Patrick chooses to remain in the series rather than switching to NASCAR, she is likely to leave the currently struggling AGR team and move to champion squad Ganassi.
autosport

HandoZiZle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HandoZiZle » 19 Jul 2009, 16:24

Danica Patrick would be the bigest joke if she goes to F1. Aside of being a good looking driver, she has nothing to offer. Beside, i don't think she's physically strong enough to drive an F1 car.

BMWSauber5
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by BMWSauber5 » 20 Jul 2009, 07:49

she'd be good as a grid girl, but not a driver.
I'm not scared of Swine Flu, i believe that if i get bitten by a pig, it gives me special powers. :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Jul 2009, 07:56

HandoZiZle wrote:Danica Patrick would be the bigest joke if she goes to F1. Aside of being a good looking driver, she has nothing to offer. Beside, i don't think she's physically strong enough to drive an F1 car.
Yeah; her oval results are good (steering left for a few hours) but (crucially) her road course results aren't fantastic, and for an Indy driver to do well in F1, usually they have to be pretty damn good, and she's not a champion - JPM and JV were brilliant champions and Bourdais won 4 CCWS

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 20 Jul 2009, 10:02

Jon Noble: "All suited up ready for what could be a very interesting interview in London regarding the state of F1. More details later"

I think he's referring Concorde Agreement.

Concorde Agreement to be signed this week

Code: Select all

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090720113411.shtml
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Jul 2009, 18:07

Haug: McLaren want Rosberg
The signs are growing that Nico Rosberg is set to move from Williams to the Mercedes-powered McLaren team at the end of 2009.

Mercedes competition boss Norbert Haug speaks in ever more flattering tones about the 24-year-old, who is openly assessing his options at the end of his current contract.

He admits he is keen to see a compatriot at the wheel of the so-called 'silver arrows', and McLaren figures have so far been non-committal when asked about Finn Heikki Kovalainen's chances of remaining at the team beyond this season.

"We must set ourselves up to win races and championships, and if this can be done with a German driver, all the better," Haug said in an interview with the SID news agency.

He admits that recent efforts have been made to unite the three-pointed Mercedes star with a German.

"In the past ten years we tried with Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel," said Haug, who has said in the past that only contractual hurdles thwarted deals being done with the latter two.

Rosberg, however, is a free agent for 2010, and Haug said in the interview that since debuting in 2006 the driver has "earned a formula one ritterschlag (knighthood)".

Haug said the team is currently contemplating its next driver lineup but would prefer not to speak about those musings in the media.

"Perhaps our drivers will remain the same, perhaps they will change," he admitted. "At the moment I don't think there is large time pressure. It can be decided in the next couple of months."

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 22 Jul 2009, 10:20

First US F1 car to be ready in October
Spoiler:
Team US F1 expects to have its new car ready by the end of October, as it ramps up its efforts to be on the Formula 1 grid next year.

Work at the team's Charlotte factory has been pressing on following confirmation of the squad's 2010 entry, and team principal Ken Anderson has revealed that the design of the new car is well advanced.

"Quite a lot of it is ready to manufacture," Anderson told AUTOSPORT. "The chassis is locked down, because we were waiting to hear if the [Cosworth] engine rev limit was 20,000rpm or 18,000rpm.

"The chaps will now start building the chassis in August. We will have it rolling on the ground in late September, without bodywork or stuff, and then the bodywork will get added in October."

Anderson has said that the confirmation of the team's 2010 entry has allowed it to push ahead with the ordering of machinery it needed, which in turn will mean a recruitment drive can now get underway.

"We were only approved a few weeks ago and it wasn't prudent to order $5 million of machines until we were there," he said. "We have about 20 staff at the moment, but we have got 20 or 30 starting in August. The thing is we need people to run machines, and there was no point having them until the machines are there."

Team US F1 is expected to confirm in the next few weeks that it has secured investment from YouTube co-founder and current chief executive officer Chad Hurley.

The outfit is also close to a deal to use the Spanish Aragon track as its European base.

"It looks like it," said Anderson. "It is not signed or sealed though. We are evaluating there and Paul Ricard.

"The Aragon facility is a fantastic facility, the people there are very nice, very helpful. It is a great place for winter testing, and we would like to have our drivers based there, or at Paul Ricard, and run all the time."

http://viigo.im/0iYq
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 22 Jul 2009, 20:03

Oh My God!

Jacques Villeneuve: "I will return to Formula 1"
Spoiler:
Villeneuve closing in on GP return with USF1
Jacques Villeneuve is close to securing a contract to return to Formula One with the new USF1 team in 2010, Sport Bild reported Wednesday.

The French-Canadian, now 38, last won a Grand Prix in his championship year of 1997 but subsequently drove for BAR, Renault and Sauber/BMW until 2006.

Having failed to establish a career in NASCAR, he recently attended some Grand Prix, reportedly buoyed by the reduction in downforce, the return of slick tyres and the opportunities afforded by three new teams.

Villeneuve did not refer specifically to USF1 but admitted to the magazine: "It is true, I will return to Formula One."

Sport Bild said the official announcement could be made within the next few weeks.

The report also said USF1's first Cosworth-powered car will be ready in October, with Aragon (Spain) and Le Castellet (France) at the top of the list to be the team's European base. The cars are being designed and built in Charlotte, North Carolina.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090722174904.shtml

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Jul 2009, 21:00

joostlamers wrote:Oh My God!

Jacques Villeneuve: "I will return to Formula 1"
In a season without in-season testing, new teams must and must have at least one experienced driver in their line-up, as it can be seen in Brawn how it would be beneficial for the team. One experienced driver + one young driver having a sponsor. That's the medicine of new teams in 2010.

So, what do we have as an experienced driver available out there? Villeneuve, de la Rosa, Barichello, Fisichella, Montoya(!), Klein, Liuzzi, Sato (God no!) and Davidson to some extent, etc. etc. Villeneuve is the most viable option as he is a champion driver. So that's nice to see him on board in Australia. With him, we could have five World Champion on the track, including Hamilton, Raikkonen (hopefully), Alonso and Vettel (hopehopehopefully) or Button.

In-season test ban will help old drivers to stay in Formula 1 at least 1 or 2 season more, which in turn hinder young drivers to step up the sport as we saw in Senna-Rubens situation. Pitty.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 22 Jul 2009, 21:03

Villeneuve? Seriously??? come on USF1, be serious. An American F1 team has many flaws, and who's going to take them seriously signing an over the hill, semi-retired laughing stock?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 23 Jul 2009, 06:41

Tbh, Villeneuve would bring a bit of "fight" back - we need great rivalries - although he is 38.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 23 Jul 2009, 06:56

If Jacques gets the seat, Montoya won't get it. They hate eachother :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 23 Jul 2009, 07:35

Yes but JPM doesnt want an F1 return

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 23 Jul 2009, 11:24

Right, I know its in Dutchish but let me translate:
They're saying that Manor's drivers will be Adam Carroll (Irish) and Max Chilton (GB) - Chilton is the son of someone who owns part of Manor I think...