Kimi: Mercedes drive or sabbatical?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Where will Kimi Raikkonen be in 2010?

Poll ended at 28 Dec 2009, 21:51

Sabbatical (rallying)
64%
Mercedes
36%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2009 Kimi's last season?

Post by Totopupu » 15 Jul 2009, 17:01

- For petulantly passing Hill on the Silverstone formation lap in 1994.
- For smashing Hill out at Adelaide to win the title in 1994 and using an illegal TC to win title.
- For passing waved yellows at Suzuka 97' - whereas Jacques Villeneuve was disqualified for doing it!
- For trying to smash Villeneuve out to win the title at Jerez in 1997
- For using Eddie Irvine/Rubens Barichello to block everyone to win
- For smashing Coulthard out in Argentina in 1998
- For forcing H.H. Frentzen off the track in Montreal in 1998 and saying it was fair.
- For serving 10 second penalty on last lap at Silverstone 1998 to avoid negotiating the time-wasting pit-lane exit.
- For smashing into the back of Coulthard at Spa in 1998 and blaming him! for it
- For trying to attack Coulthard in the pit-lane after the incident.
- For stalling on the grid at Suzuka in 1998 and blaming the car and clutch!
- For saying that everyone blocked him when near the back at Suzuka in 1998.
- For Ferrari's 4-year block-tactics regime.
- For holding up Hakkinen for the whole race at Sepang in 1999 , then letting Irvine through - twice - to win a race he didn't deserve to.
- For moaning when Coulthard did the same thing for just '2' corners in the next race at Suzuka, when Hakkinen won the title again.
- For Ferrari using and escaping with using the 'illegal' barge-boards at Sepang in 1999.
- For Ferrari's trial that contradicted the stewards original 'banning' of the barge-boards in the first place!
- For forcing his own brother off the track at the Spanish Grand Prix in favour of his team-mate in 2000.
- For passing and getting away with passing Kimi Raikonnen under 'waved' yellow flags at the French Grand Prix 2002 and for the stewards and the FIA letting it happen.
- For insisting on having bootlickers for teammates with Ferrari.
- For blocking Alonso at monaco in 2006
But Schumacher was/is/will the best driver ever.
And a great champion is sometimes a cheater because he want to win, he make battle for that, not like Kimi in 2009.
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 15 Jul 2009, 18:47

I´ve said my two cents about Kimi and that won´t change. He can´t lick Alonso´s boots, even Vettel and Hamilton can eat him alive. Every time it starts to rain since the traction control is gone, Kimi is spinning around like Kylie Minogue :lol:

Spa 08 is the best example, yes Lewis made a few mistakes too, but he psychologically owned Kimi easiliy that day. The way Kimi shunted the Ferrari under Hamilton´s pressure was just ridiculous. Or Silverstone last season or Monza and and and the guy can´t drive in the rain, the same goes for Massa, Ferrari make themselves look like fools with these drivers. In my humble oppinion Ferrari needs thoroughbreds like Alesi, G.Villeneuve, Schumacher, Berger. Even Eddie Irvine was way better than those two clowns in the rain. He got a lot of podiums in wet races. Kimi can only finish wet races on the podium with traction control, like Fuji 2007.

Kimi the Racing Driver is done. In 2005 he was very good, but unfortunate. In 2007 he was mediocre but lucky. He has his championship - big cheers and goodbye. And don´t forget to close the door behind you Kimi.

And iceman: I don´t want to turn this topic into a "f*** Schumacher - or Schumacher the cheater/bastard/overrated/lucky/undeserved driver" topic.
Sorry, but I´ve heard it so often, I simply don´t react to it anymore. The world is not the same for everyone eh?
You guys can all have your oppinions, but they die with you one day. Schumis records will still stand when we´re long gone and that´s a fact.

But it´s not the records why I love him, it´s because he is what he is, but people are actually quite good at seeing the world like they want to these days. Yeah he is a bastard and was only lucky that Jean Todt applied teamorders, so he could win 7 championships. And I´m a deluded idiot, that´s why I support him. How else could you support and idolize such a monster?

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 15 Jul 2009, 19:05

corry wrote:kimi to replace kovalinen? :)
i love this piece of gossip/comment :n

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 15 Jul 2009, 19:25

Blizzard, if you say that who spun in Silverstone 2008 are clowns, you are calling the whole field of drivers clowns. You call drivers an idiot and then say that you have a humble opinion - yeah right. And I disagree about Spa. If you looked at why Kimi went off, you can see that he was trying to overtake a williams that got in between the fight, slid off the track to evade him again, and then aquaplaned into the barriers. I don't really see that as his own mistake (or maybe being too eager for passing the williams already). Everybody makes mistakes, even the great Schumi. Remeber Brazil when he went off in the rain.

This thread is about Kimi and let it be that way. Schumacher did controversial things, but he was, still probably is, a great driver. I'm still a fan of him, but now, of the field of drivers we have, I back Kimi the most. For some reason I can only really back a driver when he drives for Ferrari. I'd love to see Vettel and Alonso driving for Ferrari too.

On the article; maybe it's only rumors, and I think we will know the truth come the Italian GP. No other sites that report true news like autosport.com have reported this story, so it could be either way still.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 15 Jul 2009, 19:32

anyone wants kimi to drive again for mclaren mercedes, give me a hell yeah! :D

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 Jul 2009, 20:00

Raikkonen's agent and Domenicali deny rumours
Kimi Raikkonen's Finnish agent, as well as Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali, have fended off the latest round of rumours regarding the 2007 World Champion.

It is increasingly reported that the 29-year-old driver, who is shaping up to make his World Rally debut late this month, intends to quit Formula One in order to switch codes full time from 2010.

But Riku Kuvaja, who is the Ferrari driver's agent and media spokesman in Finland, told the Iltalehi daily: "The contract is valid and we will adhere to it."

In another Finnish newspaper, Turun Sanomat, Domenicali was also asked about the rumours linking Raikkonen with a team exit, and Fernando Alonso to the seat.

"There is nothing new," the Italian insisted. "Surely everyone remembers last season, when the rumours were the same."

"Believe the team and the facts, not rumours," Domenicali added, when asked why it is so strongly believed in the paddock that Fernando Alonso is set to replace Raikkonen.

Code: Select all

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090715135630.shtml
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 15 Jul 2009, 20:25

iceman1 wrote: But why are you comparing Kimi to Michael? More reasons to disrespect schumacher

- For smashing Hill out at Adelaide to win the title in 1994 and using an illegal TC to win title.
- For passing waved yellows at Suzuka 97' - whereas Jacques Villeneuve was disqualified for doing it!
- For forcing H.H. Frentzen off the track in Montreal in 1998 and saying it was fair.
- For serving 10 second penalty on last lap at Silverstone 1998 to avoid negotiating the time-wasting pit-lane exit.
- For smashing into the back of Coulthard at Spa in 1998 and blaming him! for it
- For holding up Hakkinen for the whole race at Sepang in 1999 , then letting Irvine through - twice - to win a race he didn't deserve to.
- For moaning when Coulthard did the same thing for just '2' corners in the next race at Suzuka, when Hakkinen won the title again.
- For Ferrari using and escaping with using the 'illegal' barge-boards at Sepang in 1999.
- For Ferrari's trial that contradicted the stewards original 'banning' of the barge-boards in the first place!
- For forcing his own brother off the track at the Spanish Grand Prix in favour of his team-mate in 2000.
- For passing and getting away with passing Kimi Raikonnen under 'waved' yellow flags at the French Grand Prix 2002 and for the stewards and the FIA letting it happen.

The problem is Michael Schumacher never recognized any wrongdoing, never apologized and reverted to the same unfair and dangerous practices each time he was not able to make it by his own talent.

and Yes Kimi is much better than M. schumacher.
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 15 Jul 2009, 20:27

:lol:

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 15 Jul 2009, 21:06

iceman1 wrote: - For Ferrari using and escaping with using the 'illegal' barge-boards at Sepang in 1999.

Man, there are some headings in that list which seem to be added just to make the "black" list looking more evil than it should be. Come on, nearly all drivers do the same. Schumacher did what he did due to his passion. It doesn't mean that they were acceptable but intuitive in all, like Senna and Prost. Come on Icy.

And stalling thing? :lol: It's just funny to write this down, if not silly :lol: Blaming the car? Haha, my goodness.

I don't see any point comparing any driver who didn't race in the same car. Just pointless. Kimi was damn good but now, he lost something. I miss his speed and determination, and I doubt it will ever come back.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 16 Jul 2009, 11:15

Ali has said it prpbably the best way. calm and spot on.

I completely agree with his post.

and sejtur: I wasn´t only referring to Spa, that´s why I added Silverstone and Monza too. If you just look at the facts then you have to admit, that both Massa and Kimi didn´t score any good or acceptable results in wet races since the traction control got banned. And Kimi came to Ferrari as the best paied driver in Formula One and a lot of people thought he might be the best after M.Schumacher retired. So the outcome ia pretty dissapointing after those expectations and the boots he had to fill.

I think a lot of experts agree on the fact, that in the rain the good drivers get seperated from the super good drivers. That´s the reason why Vettel or Hamilton are so good in the rain (without traction control), or Senna or Schumacher. I think in terms of pure talent and car control Kimi is only an average F1 driver. His big strenghts at McLaren have been his super confidence and coolness under pressure. And he was a very good qualifier. But in the rain he never set the world on fire. E§specially now without traction control. So that leads to my conclusion that he is not the most talented guy.

If you diasgree then please tell me why he can´t drive in the rain.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 16 Jul 2009, 12:31

Yes the results have been lacking in those races, blizzard. But you say that Hamilton is so good w/o TC in the rain for example. He spun once in the first laps at spa, and in the end of the race him and Kimi got off track multiple times. In silverstone they both spun. In Monza, Hamilton spun in qualifying where Kimi held the car. So I think that's pretty good car control. At the start of Spa 08 you can see kimi sliding a couple of times accelerating to the eau rouge, keeping the car straight with great skill. If that's not impressive to you, then I don't know what car control is, or what you mean by it. Hamilton also made a mistake in monaco 08, where Kimi did too. But if Sutil wasn't there, it would have been very very impressive. And in Brazil 08, Kimi finished third, and Massa finished first, in a race where rain dominated.

I agree with you though, that Vettel Schumi and Senna are great raindrivers. But you just look at the worst results and conclude from those, leaving the good/better results out. You should look at the good things too, or try to look.

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 16 Jul 2009, 14:54

ok mate. Fair play to you. Then let me ask another question, no bad intentions, but i was asking myself the question in the past: why isn't kimi producing great drives he produced for mclaren, for ferrari? Drives like spa 04 or monaco and suzuka 05. Or bahrain 06 was great too, from the back to third. The only race he completely dominated for ferrari, from saturday till sunday evening was melbourne 07. I thought he was going to win the championship in indy that year. He looked so strong in melbourne, but from the next race on his form got constantly worse.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 16 Jul 2009, 15:07

today's technical reg's are ever changing. every year, technical regulations have changed (major revisions) unlike the 90's era where only a few and minor regs were introduced. maybe kimi's not adapting too well to the new regs since his move to ferrari. > just my opinion guys :)
Off-Topic: show
Spoiler:
Large mirrors and quick release steering wheel made mandatory, all marshals and medical staff must practice driver extrication exercises.
More stringent testing of survival cell by FIA including seat belts, fuel tanks and rollbar.
Yet more exhaustive testing of survival cell including rear impact testing, height of kerbing lowered, minimum width of pit lane increased to 12 metres, pit lane entry chicane mandatory, safety car introduced, points scoring system overhauled, win now secures 10 points and all results to count instead of best 11 scores (in effect till the end of 1991).
Rear tyre width reduced from 18 inches to 15 inches to reduce the grip and so the speed of the cars, CVT (continuously variable transmission) banned before ever appearing at a race, end of race crowd control measures implemented, 50 km/h speed lane restriction during free practice, head rest area increased from 800mm2 to 4000mm2, rear wing height reduced from 1000 mm to 900 mm, distance of front end plates from flat bottom increased from 25 mm to 40 mm, fuel used restricted to that available to the general public.
Ban on electronic driver aids such as active suspension, traction control, launch control, ABS, 4 wheel steering at the beginning of the season, mid race refueling allowed for the first time since 1983, post Imola sweeping changes introduced to slow cars down, between the Spanish Grand Prix and the German Grand Prix these changes are phased in and include a reduction in the height of the rear wing of 10 cm, an increase in the height of the front wing, no front wing trailing assemblies to extend behind front wheel, a 10 mm wooden plank fitted to the under tray (permitted to be worn by no more than 1 mm by the race end), a ban on rear wing assemblies extending beyond the rear axle line to sidestep the new wing restrictions, depressurising the engine airbox to reduce power, minimum headrest thickness of 75 mm introduced, more stringent fire extinguisher regulations and driver helmet criteria implemented,a pit lane speed restriction of 80 km/h in practice and 120 km/h in race conditions introduced. also for first two rounds the parade lap was to be completed behind safety car (abandoned from Imola onwards), pit spectator area to be fire shielded, 27 corners identified as very high risk and as a result changes to circuit layouts implemented to remove or modify these parts of the track.
A reduction in engine capacity from 3500 cc to 3000 cc to further slow cars, longer cockpit openings to reduce chance of drivers head hitting it in the event of an accident, survival cell side impact tests introduced, obligatory automatic neutral selection when engine stops, increase in length chassis must extend beyond drivers feet from 15 cm to 30 cm, frontal impact test speed increased from 11 m/s to 12 m/s, kerbs made smoother, pit wall debris shield installed, 3 inch safety straps mandatory, super licence criteria made more stringent.
Front wing end plates to be no more than 10 mm thick to reduce damage to tyres of another car in the event of collision, all harness release levers must point downwards, to qualify for a race all cars must now be within 107% of pole time, car numbers now allocated on the basis of previous seasons performance, Friday qualifying abandoned but number of free practice sessions increased from two to three and number of laps allocated each day increased from 23 to 30, standardisation of all FIA safety cars and medical cars, more fire drills for marshals, starting procedure improved, data storage unit to be mounted within survival cell.
Test tracks now require FIA approval and supervision, kerbing standardised, bolted tyre wall construction obligatory, cars to carry FIA ADR (accident data recorder) to analyse success of implemented safety measures, FIA approval required for all chief medical officers and medical centres, safety car made more powerful and may now be used for wet weather starts, accident intervention plan revised.
Narrow track era begins in Formula One, width of car reduced from 2 metres to 1.8 metres with teams now running rubber with grooves in (4 on the rear and 3 on the front) to reduce the speed of the cars, asymmetric braking banned, X-wings banned, single fuel bladder mandatory, refueling connector must be covered, cockpit dimensions increased, side impact test now to use 100% more energy, tyre barrier effectiveness increased, pit lane must now have 100 m of straight running before first pit garage, increased use of pit lane lights alongside flags.
Number of grooves on front tyres increased from three to four, flexible wings banned, pit lane shielding standardised, some run off areas to have asphalt instead of sand traps, at least four medical intervention cars and an FIA doctor car required, ADR required to be in operation during testing, wheels must be tethered to car to reduce the risk of launched components during an accident, rear and lateral headrest assembly made one piece and quick release, engine oil breathers must vent into engine air intake, extractable driver's seat madatory, frontal impact test speed increased to 13 m/s.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traction control allowed again as FIA admit they are unable to police whether teams are using the system effectively, use of beryllium alloys in chassis or engine construction banned.
Team orders banned after Rubens Barrichello hands victory to Michael Schumacher at final corner of the Austrian Grand Prix.
Bi directional telemetry banned HANS (head and neck safety) system mandatory, change to point scoring system, points now being awarded down to 8th place, actual points scored now to run 10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 from 1st to 8th place, testing allowed on a Friday of a race meeting in exchange for a reduction of testing mileage allowed outside of the Grand Prix calendar to make it more affordable for smaller teams, changes to qualifying session with only one flying lap now allowed for grid position, cars may not be refueled between final qualifying and the race start.
Engines required to last a whole race meeting, any engine change to result in 10 place grid penalty, minimum weight set at 605 kg during qualifying and at no less than 600 kg at all other times (including driver and fuel), pit lane speed limited to 100 km/h at all times, each driver must select his wet and dry weather tyre compounds before the start of the race, minimum size of engine cover and rear wing end plates set to maximise advertising space, launch control banned for the second time, fully automatic transmission banned.
Rear diffuser size reduced to limit downforce, all engines now required to last two race weekends, qualifying format changed to two aggregate times from Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning to count towards grid positions (this format lasted until the European GP when qualifying reverted back to a driver's fastest single lap to count from Saturday afternoon qualifying), further changes to dimensions of front and rear wings and nose of car to make overtaking easier, restriction on tyre changes during qualifying and the race itself, if a driver stalls on the grid after the parade lap the other cars will now complete a second lap whilst the stalled vehicle is removed, in the event of a red flag the two hour race clock will no longer freeze between race sessions.
Only 14 sets of tyres allowed all weekend (seven dry, four wets and three extreme wets), in race tyre changing permitted again, qualifying format changed to three 15 minute shoot outs where the slowest cars are eliminated in the first two sessions leaving the 10 quickest to start with a clean slate and to go for pole position, the final session was reduced from 20 minutes to 15 minutes from the French Grand Prix onwards, Saturday free practice increased from 45 minutes to an hour in length.Engine capacity limited to 2400 cc and number of cylinders allowed reduced to eight in an attempt to reduce horsepower, restriction in the use of non ferrous materials in engine construction along with limiting the number of valves per cylinder to four, all engines must be of a 'V' configuration and at an angle of 90 degrees,
Tuned mass damper system banned, rev limit of 19,000 rpm introduced, rear wing structure strengthened to prevent flexing, increased strength required from rear crash structure, single tyre supplier (Bridgestone) after withdrawal of Michelin, revised tyre regulations mean drivers must use both hard and soft compound tyre during the course of race (soft compound tyres are identified by a white stripe in one of the front tyre grooves), engine development frozen until the end of 2008 to cut costs, further restrictions to regulations means no teams may run a 3rd car on Friday, both sessions on Friday extended to 90 minutes in length, engine changes on first day of practice no longer subject to grid place penalty, pit lane restrictions during any period the safety car is on the track, annual testing limited to 30,000 km to reduce costs.
Traction control banned for the second and final time by means of all teams using a standard ECU (electronic control unit) to eliminate the possibility of teams concealing the technology within their own engine management systems, strict limits placed on the amount of CFD and wind tunnel testing allowed each year.
Engines to last three races (with a rev limiter set at 18,000 rpm to assist in this), banning of almost all aerodynamic devices other than front and rear wing, slick tyres allowed once more(keeping to narrow track dimensions), engines must now last three whole races, reduction of rear wing width from 1000 mm to 750 mm and in increase in height from 800 mm to 950 mm, reduction in the ground clearance of front wing from 150 mm to 50 mm and an increase in width from 1400 mm to 1800 mm, rear diffuser to be longer and higher, variable front aerodynamic devices permitted (with limited in car control by driver) and the introduction of KERS (kinetic energy recovery system)to store some of the energy generated under braking and convert it into a temporary horsepower increase of around 80 bhp that can be used by the drivers for overtaking.
Drastic cost cutting measures to be introduced including a ban on testing during the season, race engines to last four whole races, tyre warmers banned, agreement with teams about reducing the number of staff employed, rumours of a return to turbocharged engines, if not in 2010 then in the near future, driver with most wins to win the title and an optional 30 million a year budget cap with teams following this having more freedom in the aerodynamic design of the car, no engine rev limiter and no restrictions on in season engine development.
Last edited by megasyxx on 16 Jul 2009, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 16 Jul 2009, 15:40

swca92 wrote:Tbh I hope he retires, he's being outperformed and lacks motivation when someone faster and with far more enthusiasm could take over. Kimi's wasting a place in F1 that could go to someone who's actually motivated.
He's had his time as a firebrand, and if he doesn't go now, he'll just become one of these formerly good drivers who become no-hopers, like Hill, Coulthard, Villeneuve and to a lesser extent Ralf (who was less good anyway, but excelled in his early years).

Kimi's F1 career is clearly winding down. At least and Alonso and Massa can find the fire to ace races, and Kubica, Vettel and Hamilton have got years ahead of them no matter what happens to them this year. Kimi should do a Hakkinen and leave before it's too late.

I agree with your hope.
sejtur wrote:I disagree that Kimi is way better than Schumi, I even think that Schumi is a bit better than Kimi overall, Kimi has just a little bit more raw speed, but Schumacher can cope more with different cars, a more complete driver.

But swca92, why do you think that Kimi lacks motivation? Or is it just a suspicion? It's like some of you just judge Kimi from that he's a relaxed guy, laid back, and then say he has no motivation? Or just because he's not happy with third but only with a win? Or because he hasn't won in a long time? Looks kinda ignorant to me.
I think Patrick can only really interpret what is out there in the media. I would say that if Massa is beating him on track, Kimi makes no fighting statements and doesn't appear to want to talk about or doesn't appear to care about Formula 1, then we can conclude that Kimi lacks motivation. We may be wrong, but it's not ignorant, it's a valid point based on all the evidence we can have access to.
iceman1 wrote:But why are you comparing Kimi to Michael? More reasons to disrespect schumacher

The problem is Michael Schumacher never recognized any wrongdoing, never apologized and reverted to the same unfair and dangerous practices each time he was not able to make it by his own talent.

and Yes Kimi is much better than M. schumacher.
No offence Icy, but that list reminds me of the list Spanish fans people made for a petition against Lewis Hamilton, i.e. it absolutely scrapes the barrel in terms of things to demonize Schumi with; some of those are pathetic like the stalling in Japan story, and some of them are just vague, like the "bootlickers" statement.

There's no denying that Michael Schumacher was guilty of some pretty awful sporting atrocities, but I fail to see the connection between that and how good he was. On their peak days, they'd have nearly equal raw pace, but Schumi would have much greater control of it. There is now way Kimi is better than Schumi.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 16 Jul 2009, 15:51

To blizzard:
Hmmm I'm afraid I have no good answer to that, I can't deny that his races haven't been as good anymore like beginning in the back and then ending up in front. He almost did it in Australia 08, but then he screwed his race by being too late at breaking when the safetycar was gone. Too eager. Until the last laps, Spa was an impressive drive too.

He hasn't had those kind of races anymore, and I don't know what causes it really. Maybe it's multiple factors. That the car isn't suiting to his driving style, and he can't get it suited right in 08. Everybody has thesame tyres, but it seems that every car handles their tyres differently, and the Ferrari requires a hard driving style to the tyres, which suits massa more than Kimi. I don't know. Maybe it's what Megasexx said. Maybe that the team is worse with Todt and Brawn gone.

So if you mean that "magical touch" that he had in Suzuka 05 there is no more, maybe you're right, maybe not. I personally think it's still there, but that he doesn't really have the chance to show it anymore, or that when he does show it, something screws it up.