Jonathan Legard vs. James Allen

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Who do you rate highly as a main commentator?

Poll ended at 09 Jul 2009, 21:32

James Allen
95%
Jonathan Legard
5%

Total votes: 19

Richards19
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Jonathan Legard vs. James Allen

Post by Richards19 » 27 Jun 2009, 00:53

It's 31-1 now, where's the one who voted for Legard??

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 27 Jun 2009, 07:34

Ali wrote:James Allen's bias and Lewis-centric commentating might have been due to ITV's policy. He doesn't seem to be as biased in his columns as in his commentating days. When he became free agent, I think he also became a neutral journalist. If he's brought back, he would have to behave based on, if any, BBC's policy -let's say- inclined to recent-famous-British driver Button.
He is still Lewis-centric, but since McLaren is so horrible this year, there's not much to say about Hamilton. But if you read his blog around the time of the "lie-gate", he had these usual remarks how FIA can't punish Hamilton because he's the reason why people watch F1 and so on, like with many other British journalists.

It's easier for Allen to be neutral with Button because Button doesn't make so much noise about himself or boast with what he's managed to achieve this season. So in that sense Allen can probably calm himself down too.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 28 Jun 2009, 18:59

I think they're both awful commentators, Allen just gets it because of his superb writing. Just as long as I don't have to hear his voice.

This is the way of commentating:

You must have one fore commentator, who says what's happening for all the dullards out there. The fore commentator, to give F1 a sense of excitement and tension, must shout like a drunk Essex girl/stretch his voice so that it's beyond recognition in pitch half the time and at the most inappropriate moments possible. (This worked well with Murray Walker, because he is endearing and genuinely had passion. He made as many mistakes as Legard and Allen, but they do it in a way that sounds so fake that you can't forgive them theirs as you can Murray. He also managed to shout at mostly appropriate moments.)

You must also have a colour commentator. He is the expert, who analyses and opinionates his way through a grand prix, as well as having a great deal more insight than the fore commentator. His job however, is mostly to maintain a dignified silence while the fore commentator sprouts utter rubbish, and occasionally cut in with a biting judgement of someone, or a snide witticism (like James Hunt and Martin Brundle, but NOT Jonathan Palmer). However, he is usually prevented from saying anything when he'd like to by the fore commentator fawning over something or someone at length (a team, a car, a driver, a circuit, a team member) in a misguided and futile attempt to heighten the sense of drama and legend that F1 SHOULD have, but isn't given by the fore commentator.

The solution..

..is to shoot all fore commentators, and provide two colour commentators, or at least provide a snide, witty, unnaiive commentator as the fore commentator, as in MotoGP. Although, being a child at heart, I'd quite like to see Jake Humphries as the fore commentator. I feel he'd take control less, and give me a children's TV nostalgia trip every grand prix. :p
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 28 Jun 2009, 19:09

TwistedArmco wrote:I think they're both awful commentators, Allen just gets it because of his superb writing. Just as long as I don't have to hear his voice.
As long as you dont watch the Press Conference then.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 28 Jun 2009, 19:24

Fergie1 wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:I think they're both awful commentators, Allen just gets it because of his superb writing. Just as long as I don't have to hear his voice.
As long as you dont watch the Press Conference then.
I often miss it these days to be honest, not deliberately, just through circumstance. At least he doesn't feel the need to shout in them also.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 28 Jun 2009, 20:20

When you watch tennis or golf you have several colour commentators at a time rather than a "Play by play" commentator and a sidekick, and it works well. But it wouldn't work well in F1, F1 is too fast paced for that. A fore commentator and a pundit is not great but its the best option, Ben Edwards is a good commentator while the Australian guy who does the Moto GP is quite good also. Legard is terrible, and hasn't improved all season. I'll listen to Radio 5 next race, they do a great job of practice sessions.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 10 Jul 2009, 09:01

We need a hybrid. A guy who can do play-by-play when the race is hectic, and can shut up and become akin to a colour commentator when the action is somewhat lacking. Anthony Davidson anyone?

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 13 Jul 2009, 16:07

Allen, easy.
JL is pathetic at commentary.
I LOL'd when they had the argument over the refuelling ban, proves (to me) that there is hatred between the two. I predict in Abu Dhabi/Montreal/wherever the final round will be held- This will happen:
JL: And x is on a charge out of the last corner to win the grand prix, and the world championship.
MB: Congratulations x. Now Jonathan, I've wanted to do this all season but now is my chance.....
(punch heard)
JL: Martin! My head hurts.
MB (angrily): Take that! And that! And THAT!
(that= punch at same time)
MB (calmly): Back to Jake.
It *might* happen.
:p Flag:##

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 13 Jul 2009, 18:57

Ben Edwards and John Watson is the best commentator duo ever. Followed by Allard Kalf and John Watson. Third place for Murray Walker and Martin Brundle. Murray Walker and James Hunt were ok too, although Hunt wasn´t really objective most of the time. Martin Brundle and James Allen were quite bad, but I think the worst commentator duo on British television (regarding F1) was Murray Walker and Jonathan Palmer, not because of Murray ( I love him), but Palmer. Palmer was the most boring commentator I have ever heard in F1, combined with his Damon Hill fanboyism he was just annoying.

Eurosport was the best F1 broadcaster ever in my oppinion, great commentators and 100% focus on the sport and everything else aside. I don´t wanna see 2 hours of pre race coverage showing the landscape and the city and which celebrities are trackside. It´s so annoying, go back to the roots and concentrate on racing again ffs. And please Sky Germany sack Tanja Bauer! Please! She ruins every race. :<>:

Spinninggenius
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Spinninggenius » 14 Jul 2009, 20:50

Legard is terrible. End of. Although if Allard Kallf's commentary appears on any video I might find then I'll always watch that video.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 16 Jul 2009, 21:40

Having not been able to watch ANY of the German GP weekend in Spain (crappy spanish tv) I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever complain about commentators. ever.

coup
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by coup » 17 Jul 2009, 07:10

One funny bit from the german gp was that legard did this little speech about how australia were doing in the ashes, and when he finally finished, martin brundle just said 'ooh, alonso's set the fastest lap', to try and bring legard back to the sport he's supposed to be commentating on

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Jul 2009, 07:41

coup wrote:One funny bit from the german gp was that legard did this little speech about how australia were doing in the ashes, and when he finally finished, martin brundle just said 'ooh, alonso's set the fastest lap', to try and bring legard back to the sport he's supposed to be commentating on
Oh yeah, just heard it :lol:

Spinninggenius
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Spinninggenius » 18 Jul 2009, 12:29

Another contender, John Watson at his best :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyXEp2M8 ... re=related

sejtur
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by sejtur » 18 Jul 2009, 12:54

SURPRIIISSSEEE! :p