£40m Budget Cap and Controversies

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Budget Cap Imposed by FIA - £40m

Post by blizzard » 13 May 2009, 13:24

I hope they don´t remove the Budget cap, all big teams leave F1 and found their own racing series, with decent rules and decent tracks. No Bernie, no Mosley, no FIA - Yes please!

F1 could then be continued with the likes of Brawn, Lola, ISport, Super Aguri and USGPE :)

phil1993

Re: F1 News

Post by phil1993 » 13 May 2009, 15:09

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is convinced the Italian marque can find the same level passion in other racing series if it leaves Formula 1.

The Maranello-based squad, the most emblematic team in the sport, said on Tuesday it will pull out of Formula 1 if the budget cap regulations introduced by the FIA for 2010 stay in place.

The threat was followed today by one by Renault, who also said it will reconsider its position.

Ferrari said on Thursday it had received "numerous" messages of support from its fans, to which di Montezemolo responded on the car maker's official website.

The Italian said if Ferrari quite F1, it would continue to race elsewhere with the same level of enthusiasm.

"I want to thank you personally for the numerous messages of support we received from all over the world over the last hours on our website and via email," di Montezemolo wrote.

"It is important to know that we can count on the support of our fans all over the world and that our fans completely share the motivations, which brought us to take such a decision.

"If we were forced to leave the Championship we were part of over the last 60 years of our history and where we set all the records in terms of victories, it is because they want to change the nature of its founding values.

"If it really was like that, then I have to say that our cars will race in other competitions, where - and I am absolutely convinced about that – they will find the enthusiasm and the passion of millions of fans, following us in every corner of the world. Racing is part of Ferrari's DNA and this is something that will never change."

Ferrari driver Felipe Massa said the idea of having a two-tier championship was "absurd".

"I understand the motivation, why the company got to this point," said Massa. "The idea of having a championship with two velocities, with cars, which for example are allowed to have flexible wings or an engine without a rev limiter, is absurd.

"We've already seen this year that the rules' uncertainty not only led to a lot of confusion for us involved, but mainly for the fans. Imagine what might happen with what has been set up for 2010.

"For a driver racing a Ferrari in Formula 1 is a dream and I made mine come true. Since I was a child Ferrari has been the synonym for racing for me; that's why I'm convinced that even if the Scuderia is forced to leave Formula 1, there will be other competitions, where it will be possible to admire the Reds on the track."

Team-mate Kimi Raikkonen added: "It's difficult to think of a Formula 1 without Ferrari. When I drove for McLaren the Scuderia from Maranello was the benchmark, the competitor you had to be compared with. Since I arrived here I understood that it is much more than just a team, it's a legend, perpetuated via its road and racing cars.

"I always had the passion for racing with everything with an engine and I always thought of Formula 1 as the pinnacle of motor sports, in terms of competition and technology. Obviously if there really were rules like the ones set by FIA, it would be difficult to imagine a Formula 1 we had until today.

"I can't imagine drivers racing each other on the track with cars built according to different rules; that wouldn't be good for the sport itself or for the fans. If that should happen, it would be too bad and I understand that a Company like Ferrari is thinking about racing somewhere else."

Code: Select all

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75288
Toyota team president John Howett says teams just want to establish a correct basis of governance for Formula 1, but insists their intention is to remain in the sport.

Toyota, Ferrari, Red Bull and now Renault have threatened to leave Formula 1 if the FIA pushes ahead with its plans to introduce budget cap regulations.

The teams are unhappy that there could be two sets of rules, and they have also expressed their disappointment at how the FIA introduced the regulations without the approval of the teams.

Howett said the way Ferrari expressed its concerns yesterday was a good reflection of what the other teams felt about the current situation.

He insisted the teams' main priority is to find a proper way to introduce new regulations.

"I feel that Ferrari's statement eloquently summarises the current struggle the Formula 1 teams are facing," said Howett.

"If you consider the single thread running through all team's similar statements it is a wish to establish a correct and proper basis of governance for the sport.

"There is clearly a genuine wish for all to continue to compete in Formula 1 but only if future stability is assured.

"To secure this, the priority for the future is a process of governance which ensures all competitors compete under the same rules, that the regulations are stable and which establishes a platform from which costs can be sensibly and actively reduced without destroying the core DNA of the sport."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75289

impatientinventor
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by impatientinventor » 13 May 2009, 16:49

Ferrari and such can't just break away... They would need to kill F1 to make it work. I think they are going ot have to create another organization with VETO power... An assembly of the tracks so that they can take Monza and Monaco if they break away. I for one would like to see another concord agreement pushed forward by the teams instead of by Bernie.

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 13 May 2009, 18:07

So if this £40m budget cap comes into play the tickets for the F1 races will be £43 for a 3 day ticket on the hangar straight at silverstone rather than the £230, this maths is correct.
or are we still going to have to part with the same amount of hard cash and it go into the coffers of the FIA or moseleys retirment fund.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 13 May 2009, 19:05

Wow, Renault have said that they won't race next year under the current 2010 regs. How much will it take for Bernie and Max to realize that we F1 fans are not a whole bunch of mindless buffoons hypnotized by colourful cars going 'round a track, and that we actually care about all the competitive, technical, financial, and political aspects of Formula 1?

LET THE FANS HAVE A SAY! BRING BACK THE V10! BRING BACK THE V12! GIVE THE TEAMS TECHNICAL FREEDOM WITHOUT BUDGET CAPS!
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Totopupu » 13 May 2009, 19:09

LET THE FANS HAVE A SAY! BRING BACK THE V10! BRING BACK THE V12! GIVE THE TEAMS TECHNICAL FREEDOM WITHOUT BUDGET CAPS!
But not with near 15 cars
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 13 May 2009, 21:40

As strange as it may sound, I think it´s time to move on for the big teams. Let F1 die, it´s organization and politics have been nothing but c**p for the past 5 or 6 years.
And it´s getting worse year by year. Mosley that idiot completely destroys the technical side of F1 with completely disillusional proposals and Bernie f**** the sport with his greed, all those mickey mouse tracks built by Tielke in the middle of nowhere..come on F1 is already "a dead man walking"
Time for the finishing stroke and a new series. Without the FIA, without Ecclestone and without Blash, Whiting etc. They can all go and f themselves.

Rude words I know, but I really really hope the manufacturers leave F1 this time, because the sport in it´s current and proposed form is not a real F1 series anymore. Just my oppinion.

what about founding a new series with Jean Todt as CEO and Flavio Briatore as General Manager? Jackie Stewart could be the head of the sporting department, with guys like David Coulthard and Jean Alesi as race Stewards. Gerhard Berger could be race director...and so on.

Also great tracks avaliable like Silverstone, Imola, Montreal, Le Castellet,...etc. all no contract with F1 anymore.

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 14 May 2009, 08:16

Mosley, Bernie, to meet FOTA on Friday
FIA President Max Mosley's meeting with the Formula One Teams' Association has been fixed for Friday.

Amid major teams' threats to withdraw from the sport over the budget caps dispute, we have learned that the crucial meeting will take place in London, also in the presence of F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone.

Ecclestone had previously backed Mosley's stance on cost-cutting, but on Wednesday he was taking seriously Ferrari's threat to quit at the end of the season. The Briton also believes the famous Italian team is the key to a solution.

"They have been there for 60 years. They are partners of ours. They are the people we need to take into consideration," said Ecclestone.

"At the moment everyone is hanging on to their apron strings. Sort that out and we will be okay," added the 78-year-old.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090514075948.shtml
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

Jaguar
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Jaguar » 14 May 2009, 09:09

Ali wrote:Mosley, Bernie, to meet FOTA on Friday
FIA President Max Mosley's meeting with the Formula One Teams' Association has been fixed for Friday.

Amid major teams' threats to withdraw from the sport over the budget caps dispute, we have learned that the crucial meeting will take place in London, also in the presence of F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone.

Ecclestone had previously backed Mosley's stance on cost-cutting, but on Wednesday he was taking seriously Ferrari's threat to quit at the end of the season. The Briton also believes the famous Italian team is the key to a solution.

"They have been there for 60 years. They are partners of ours. They are the people we need to take into consideration," said Ecclestone.

"At the moment everyone is hanging on to their apron strings. Sort that out and we will be okay," added the 78-year-old.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090514075948.shtml
Few days ago they banned the "Winner Takes All" and now they will ban the "40 Mill Budget Cap" esle they would revise it

BMWSauber5
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by BMWSauber5 » 14 May 2009, 09:22

i just thought, if all the factory teams are pulling out, then it will become a Cosworth-powered series
I'm not scared of Swine Flu, i believe that if i get bitten by a pig, it gives me special powers. :p

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 14 May 2009, 19:39

My take on the subject, albeit it's machine-translated by Google from Turkish but still comprehensible.
Spoiler:
Of recent years, perhaps the history of Formula 1's most exciting 2009 season are expected to move back in 5 races remaining. Until now, only 4 of the team [Brawn 7, Red Bull 4, Toyota 3, BMW 1] can get podiums and one of only two [4 Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel 1] where, in terms of competition expected to perform slightly below the season, one other On the other hand, appeals, arbitration decisions, together with penalties and disabilities, the most fervent days lived outside of the runway. Did you know the better job will not be worse, the rules on this fevered days after the 2010 season, has climbed steadily and has reached its zenith yesterday too. Toyota, Red Bull, Ferrari and Renault, 2010 Formula 1 season is not a change in the rules announced they will withdraw. After consecutive description FIA, Bernie Ecclestone and Fota, decided to do a meeting in London tomorrow. Reached its zenith with this mess, and tomorrow will be a hope-end 2010 deadline for applications is May 29 until the last picture will become clear. To this point, let's have a look at how been briefly as follows.

Until now, the war power is built into Formula 1 in general by the FIA and Ferrari are in front of the other teams have been formed between the fronts. Ferrari's Jean Todt on time, in a sense familiar with FIA must be outside the (World Motor Sports Council Ferrari will be represented by a chair, has the right to veto), Ron Dennis's Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone with the stars any time to peace, Formula 1, Ferrari, and the case has brought Mosley'in racehorse. So that the FIA Ferrari International Assistance (International Ferrariye Help) is made even yakıştırma. However, this status quo, Jean Todt'un Ferrari at the beginning of the separation and that instead, you need to press the other team with you more "bland" by creating an air that changes the face of Ferrari Stefano Domenicalli'nin come at the very beginning and this year in McLaren Ron Dennis's Formula 1 is now complete with shooting and Mosley'in statement "very honest and open cooperation" iyice Whitmarsh'ın team has changed the balance of power being assigned to the boss. What can the FIA Ferrari now wrapping the lamb lungs, nor McLaren daggers drawn with the FIA. Now, war, FIA (Mosley, F~0~M (Ecclestone) and Fota (Ferrari) will be held between.

The first signs of this battle, since the beginning of the season in the Formula 1 shake the difüzör seen. Ferrari, on this issue in the arbitration hearing, counsel for the FIA through the "woozy" and said that the FIA need to free it from the FIA was talking about. Ferrari Vs. In the first round of the FIA conflict, as you know you lost and the new Ferrari difüzörü "has been forced to design" the retreat was announced. Immediately after that, because of scandals, lies Australia GP will be given to the punishment for McLaren, was getting a new FIA meeting. Before this meeting, send a letter of apology to Whitmarsh'ın FIA and McLaren boss Mosley'in expressions of the new "open and honest" have been postponed hasebiyle McLaren's punishment (in a sense has been forgiven). Of course, that, for many years with FIA jar of Ron Dennis, McLaren will be given to the opinions of the penalty will be meeting before the WMSC, in conjunction with it to think that the penalties from McLaren to save Formula 1 and break all bonds of the "Mosley and Ecclestone will not be too upset" with the line description There was a large share. Mosley thus, able to work with it (or words to listen to) one was found. Ferrari, although it does not appear obvious that Ferrari vs. FIA war, which resulted in favor of FIA was another front. The third front, the same meeting was opened with the rules described in the 2010 season and now the spark of that day, extending restleş was thrown.

This page also reviewed at length the rules of the 2010 season, has brought many radical changes. The most important of all, the teams since 2010, I wish they fixed a budget of £ 40 million and do it if they can compete with the very important techniques that were exempt from restrictions. Freedom in this technique, the transfer of unlimited engine, powerful KERS twice, moving the front and rear wings and a new base was not included. This in a sense, the two stages will not be written clearly (two tier) would mean a championship. Fixed budget, choosing teams, Williams Technical Director Patrick Head'in also is looking to round two to three per second can make a difference could use the moving wings, hard to choose a relatively large budget (and the factory) teams, technical restrictions will be forced to compete. Such as, the invested only a simple back to Canada to be faster than 3 seconds per round will prefer small teams, teams like Ferrari and at the runway will be deleted from. That situation has been met with almost all of the teams reaction. Brawler, Force India and Williams's, Formula 1 is not another business area, and only live with this trade for their arms, the end of the 2010 season before the deadline for applications is May 29 they had to make contact. However, both Williams and the Force India'nın boss's boss, hard budget support, but indicated that the two stages have a good choice of champions. In addition, the first Toyota, and then the Red Bull and Ferrari on Tuesday, barring any changes in the rules by signing up for 2010 season were officially announced. Yesterday de Renault, under these conditions of participation in the 2010 championship will be reviewed declared. BMW and McLaren, but is silent on this issue yet and Theissen and Whitmarsh, against two-stage system that had been announced long before.

In summary, a fixed budget, a small teams met with enthusiasm. Thus for 2010 is currently USGPE, Lola, refer to teams such as Prodrive prepared and Litespeed. Williams, independent teams such as Force India and brawler on the way to go, but what about the status of the older teams will become tomorrow's meeting. Ferrari's threat to withdraw from the championship Ecclestone "Ferrari and Formula 1, is a perfect marriage. This can never damaged, "she answered. Formula 1 world this is a bluff, but combining all of these rumors, then Luca di Montezemolo, they are very serious, and after explaining the decision of the Ferrari fans have had great support. Ferrari brand and the excitement, the other series could move gave the signal, but of course, Ferrari's intentions, in fact any team that intends to leave the job environment is not clear what will happen to a decomposition is not to go. Always a solution to this meeting tomorrow will bring elephants. FIA's hard to step back I do not think about budget. But surely a change in the two-stage system will go. Maybe we can raise the hard limits of the budget. Tomorrow will do nothing other than waiting in suspense I guess.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 14 May 2009, 20:08

this budget cap is simply a reaction for the global crisis - to make it a bit feasible to the competing teams. but the question is - without these cost cutting measures (i.e. budget cap, single tyre supplier, 8-engine, single engine-2 gp's, gearbox - 4 gp's etc....) what would f1 look like today? would there be 5, 6 or 7 teams left? Would the races be as good or boring as then?

Totopupu
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Totopupu » 14 May 2009, 20:47

Personnaly, I am a Ferrari supporter.
But, now, I say I WAS a Ferrari supporter.

WHY? the budget cap is the better way to have a perfect championship with all teams on egal conditions (because this budget will be respected by all teams) and on similar performance (they have the same budget) and with all ?better? drivers on the world who are not now in F1 (Romain Grosjean, De La Rosa, Sato, Ralf Schumacher, J. Villeneuve, Niko Hultenberg, ...) because of the number of teams (near 26).
Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne, Michael Schumacher = DREAM TEAM

impatientinventor
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by impatientinventor » 14 May 2009, 21:57

This budget cap is absolutely recockulious!!!

Think about all of the engineers and pit crew people you would put out of work if you accept a budget cap!!!! Bernie already fired 5 pit workers and a few engineers who spent their lives calculating fuel loads and such… Ferrari has apparently already fired theirs fuel calculation engineers.

You are laying off a billion dollars a year worth of people who eat breathe and live off of F1... Because it is good for the sport? WTF!!! This is the most moronic thing I have ever seen. Let's put a stop to engine development… Now the automotive industry is crawling to a screeching halt because we don't have engines that are efficient so, let’s fire everyone who knows how to do the research and development of race cars and then kill off the entire dam sport in favor of another spec series. At this point I am tempted to put a charity together that can accept donations towards a pool for Bernie's and Max's heads so I can skull phuk them both and get a little satisfaction out of the sport.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 15 May 2009, 08:14

Totopupu wrote:Personnaly, I am a Ferrari supporter.
But, now, I say I WAS a Ferrari supporter.

WHY? the budget cap is the better way to have a perfect championship with all teams on egal conditions (because this budget will be respected by all teams) and on similar performance (they have the same budget)
1. They don't want a double competition (teams using budget-cap vs. teams who don't)
2. But the second point, and the most important point is that the FIA didn't listen to the FOTA (according to Flav). The FOTA wanted to cooperate and think with them about using a budget-cap. But this bugdet-cap imposed is far from what the teams wanted, it's just what the FIA wants to happen.

I think this is pretty much the point. :thumbsup:
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at