Diffuser Controversy

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Should the diffusers of three teams be banned?

Poll ended at 14 Apr 2009, 11:41

Yes
34%
No
63%
I have no freaking idea
3%

Total votes: 32

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Diffuser Controversy

Post by Ali » 20 Apr 2009, 18:16

Theissen: BMW Sauber undecided on diffuser changes
BMW Sauber boss Mario Theissen says his team have not yet finalised what modifications they will make to their car’s rear diffuser in light of last week’s FIA decision declaring double-decker designs legal.
Spoiler:
Theissen was vocal in his opposition to the designs being run by Brawn, Toyota and Williams, but says he accepts the FIA decision. However, while the likes of Renault and McLaren already had revised diffusers on their cars in China, BMW Sauber are taking a more circumspect approach.

“The diffuser is the rear end of an entire aero package beneath the car,” Theissen told the team’s official website. “The concept is complex and only works if all the components up-stream - in the front area of the car - also are fully integrated.

“At the end of the day, it takes a far bigger effort than just copying a component and fitting it to the car. To channel the airflow beneath the car to the rear in a way that a double-decker design diffuser really produces more downforce, the entire aero package - from the front wing to the rear - has to be fully revised.”

Like most of the seven teams running single-deck diffusers, BMW Sauber began work on a revised design several weeks ago. Despite this, they are yet to decide whether it will be incorporated into the revised aero package they are planning for next month’s Spanish Grand Prix.

“This work represents an interplay between our design department and the aerodynamicists,” explained Theissen. “Our staff in Munich and Hinwil are working flat-out. As planned, we will travel to Barcelona with a new aero package. Nonetheless, it has not yet been determined to what extent a modified diffuser solutions will be integrated there.”

BMW Sauber have experienced a tough start to their 2009 campaign, scoring just four points from the opening three races, putting them fifth in the constructors’ standings.

Code: Select all

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9217.html
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 20 Apr 2009, 18:21

any new pics of the other teams' updated diffusers? only saw mclaren's and renaults @ the chinese gp weekend.

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 20 Apr 2009, 22:08

Jaguar wrote:Image

Introduced in Malaysia and retained for China is this triple-deck design. Toyota have added another internal extraction duct (inset - uppermost blue arrows) - which appears to help the airflow to work together with the underside of the lower beam wing - and a kind of turning vane at each end of the diffuser (red arrow). Together, these changes should boost the efficiency of the main double-decker part of the diffuser, increasing the levels of downforce produced.

:zz: Triple Deck Diffuser now thats something some teams might think about ...

maybe we will have a Quadro-Deck Diffuser and on :p
???? sorry its late and i am confused? ^^ was this tested in malaysia during fp or anything? i dont think i have seen or heard of this on the toyota could be fantastic for them.

eleanor
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by eleanor » 20 Apr 2009, 22:38

FIA has revealed the full arguments discussed in its hearing for double diffusers, which took place in Paris last Tuesday
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/the-fia/court_ ... 2009-a.pdf
'Life is about passions. Thank you for sharing mine.'

AzShadow

Post by AzShadow » 21 Apr 2009, 20:56

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74680 wrote: Newey: No double diffuser until Monaco

Red Bull's technical boss Adrian Newey has ruled out the introduction of a double-decker diffuser in the team's race-winning RB5 before the Monaco Grand Prix next month.

Newey, however, decided not to travel to China in order to focus on the new floor, but he admits it will be a challenge to make it work properly given the car's rear suspension design.

"As has been speculated, given the design of RB5, it's not the easiest task getting it to fit the car and while we work on this one item, we also need to keep working on the general development of the car, to ensure we don't fall behind in other areas," said Newey.

"The unique feature of the Red Bull cars is the pullrod rear suspension, which is a good solution when you don't have a double-diffuser. But getting it to work with the diffuser will be more difficult. We won't have a double-diffuser before Monaco.

"It will certainly involve a lot of work," he added. "The challenge now is to try and integrate the new diffuser into the rest of the car. But I don't regard it as a shame, I see it as another challenge.

"Unfortunately, it will involve some more late nights! That's Formula One: you can't afford to sit around and feel sorry for yourself, you just have to get on with it.

"There is no doubt that a double-diffuser does give performance. How much performance depends on how you interpret the regulations and how you adapt it to suit your own car, so that some teams will get more out of it than others. It is worth doing for everyone on the grid. Our challenge is to adapt one to work on our car."

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 22 Apr 2009, 05:36

I remember Newey saying that new diffuser addition to the current chassis may not necessarily mean 1+1=2. It may even impair the current performance of RB5 chassis, which would be disaster for them. Red Bull designed their car based on standard diffuser and there is no guarantee to increase the performance of aero efficiency and downforce levels when new diffuser is added.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 22 Apr 2009, 10:33

Ali wrote:I remember Newey saying that new diffuser addition to the current chassis may not necessarily mean 1+1=2. It may even impair the current performance of RB5 chassis, which would be disaster for them. Red Bull designed their car based on standard diffuser and there is no guarantee to increase the performance of aero efficiency and downforce levels when new diffuser is added.
Although Christian Horner was quoted in China (somewhere, or maybe it was in front of BBC cameras) that they have analysed the diffuser idea, and it seems as if it could benefit them and add to their current performance.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

metalhead188
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by metalhead188 » 22 Apr 2009, 17:01

Force India will introduce a new Diffuser and floor for the next GP

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 22 Apr 2009, 17:38

metalhead188 wrote:Force India will introduce a new Diffuser and floor for the next GP
link/source? Or is this a prediction?

Alex.J.
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Alex.J. » 22 Apr 2009, 17:58

TwistedArmco wrote:
metalhead188 wrote:Force India will introduce a new Diffuser and floor for the next GP
link/source? Or is this a prediction?

Code: Select all

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9226.html
As I walked through it Sunday evening, I couldn’t help but be amazed by the scale of this operation and the thousands of man hours that go into entertaining us for a couple of hours, 17 times a year.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 22 Apr 2009, 18:01

Wow!! Good for them. Cheers matey. :)

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 22 Apr 2009, 18:59

yeah...copy-paste time :lol:

Jaguar
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Jaguar » 22 Apr 2009, 19:26

megasyxx wrote:yeah...copy-paste time :lol:
Copy/paste already began with renault and mclaren since last gp :P

about Red Bull , i'd believe keeping the same pace will be better than going into the unknown , and Toro Rosso will have some upgrades on the STR4 from Spanish GP hope am not mistaken :P

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 22 Apr 2009, 19:27

copy-paste done...will we see some "undo" or "cancel" stuff :lol:

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 23 Apr 2009, 04:40

megasyxx wrote:copy-paste done...will we see some "undo" or "cancel" stuff :lol:
Undo will at least take 2 gp's :lol:

Anyways ..i think Red Bull will gain advantage with new Diffuser :zz:
Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings PEACE -Buddha
There is no point in defining a point... But there is a point in trying -Zack

ImageImage
[Videos]

Donate & support us
-ZACK- IO