Name of the tracks?

For all other topics which don't fit into other categories
Steph-24
car driver
car driver

Name of the tracks?

Post by Steph-24 » 26 Jan 2014, 11:26

Hello,

I am currently developing an iPhone app to list all the races in various championships (Formula One, MotoGP, NASCAR, WEC…). I would like to know how you name the different circuits: do you use the orignal name even if it’s in a foreign language or do you translate it into English?
I am French and here we tend to translate all the circuits into French so it’s a little easier.

For example, which one do you use:
Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace or Interlagos
Circuit de Monaco or Monaco Circuit
Autodromo di Monza or Monza Circuit
Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya or Barcelona Circuit

in WTTC, there’s the Circuito da Guia. How do you call that? Guai Circuit, Circuito da Guia or Macao Circuit?
Is there any particular rule?

Thanks for your help.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Name of the tracks?

Post by Ferrariman60 » 29 Jan 2014, 21:42

I study linguistics. As a general rule, the name of anything, be it a person, a place, a racetrack, is a proper noun. Therefore, there is no obligation to adapt its name to whichever language's context the name will be used. Applying that logic, the names of the racetracks may appear in whichever idiom is used in their particular locale (Monaco can be referred to as Circuit de Monaco, Catalunya as Circuito de Cataluña [or Circuit de Catalunya], etc. The exception to the rule, however, is if a circuit is commonly referenced by more than one same. Autodromo José Carlos Pace is commonly referred to by both that name as well as by Interlagos, which is a more colloquial appellation, but equally valid nonetheless. Autodromo Nazionale di Monza is similar, as it is commonly called Autodromo di Monza, Circuito di Monza, or, plainly, Monza.

There is no particular rule governing this - ultimately, if your users understand to which circuit you refer, then you have accomplished your goal!

Hope this was helpful!
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

Steph-24
car driver
car driver

Re: Name of the tracks?

Post by Steph-24 » 30 Jan 2014, 16:49

Hi Ferrariman60,

Thanks for your answer.
I understand what you mean and I think that's a good advice. I didn't realize that the name of the race tracks where proper noun.
So, I think I'll keep and respect the original names of the tracks as it is written on the formula 1 website.

In fact, in my app, I will display three things : the name of the track, the locality and the country. For exemple : Albert Park, Melbourne, Australia.
I think that with all these information, users will be able to understand which circuit I refer to. :)

Thanks again for your help, it was helpful.

I imagine that with this kind of name, you must be a Ferrari fan. ;)
They have a good team this year with two great and fast drivers. It should be a good season.