Karting

For all other topics which don't fit into other categories
Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Karting

Post by Fergie1 » 20 Aug 2008, 15:01

I had a go today, 30 minutes for £20 and its great fun as you will know if you've been. Much harder than you can imagine as the bumps are hard under braking and the kart get away from you fairly easily which I found out when I spun nearly hitting the barrier along with the power slides out of corners. :p
Has anyone else here ever had a go at it? Did you spin/crash etc?
Last edited by Fergie1 on 20 Aug 2008, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

fclen
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Karting

Post by fclen » 20 Aug 2008, 15:42

I had a go on a trip to Indianapolis. The karts we raced had a top speed of 45 mph. I did go beyond the limit at a hairpin and spun once. It was a lot of fun! I looked into local karting when I got back home, but compared to the ones we raced over there, the local ones are way to slow...

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Aug 2008, 17:06

Fergie1 wrote:I had a go today, 30 minutes for £20 and its great fun as you will know if you've been. Much harder than you can imagine as the bumps are hard under braking and the kart get away from you fairly easily which I found out when I spun nearly hitting the barrier along with the power slides out of corners.. :p
yeah, great fun when i went. me and my mate got the whole track to ourselves (indoor) for 30 minutes. where'd you go?

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 20 Aug 2008, 18:00

I live near Rye House kart track and once went there to watch all the action.Wsn't much fun to be honest.My karting experience consists of a pathetic 5 minute kart race at Beaulieu motor museum.This tiny track took only 30 seconds to do a lap,and all the corners were flat out.The karts looked like they were made in the 1950's and did about 20 mph. I finished 2nd though.

Fergie1
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Fergie1 » 20 Aug 2008, 18:38

phil1993 wrote:
Fergie1 wrote:I had a go today, 30 minutes for £20 and its great fun as you will know if you've been. Much harder than you can imagine as the bumps are hard under braking and the kart get away from you fairly easily which I found out when I spun nearly hitting the barrier along with the power slides out of corners..
yeah, great fun when i went. me and my mate got the whole track to ourselves (indoor) for 30 minutes. where'd you go?
An indoor track near Chester called The Circuit. I got the track too myself as well which was lucky really as I was a bit like Massa at Silverstone to start with. :p

Haukinen
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Haukinen » 21 Aug 2008, 18:09

Yeah, I went to 'to drive karting at this summer. Man, that was fun. One guy was in front of me. I locked my brakes before hairpin, and I went sideways past him. Man what a feeling! One crash happened tho. My own dad crashed to me... :blink:

"F1 won't change me" -Jenson Button, just weeks before dumping his girlfriend of five years and buying a Ferrari

Ali
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ali » 21 Aug 2008, 20:19

Aaah good old days!

I used to race in karting exactly 16 years ago in Mini category, being held in İstanbul as 6-7 races per season. We had to travel from Ankara to İstanbul (400 km ~ 250mile) with my father and mother for every race, which was very very fun and exciting. Those trips were both for a vacation and also comptetion to the family. My father was my sponsor, mechanics and team manager whereas my mother was my press girl :p I really miss those days. I really miss to drive a kart. (Sorry for that very personal post)

Here is a photo from good old days. I finished the race strong 2nd starting from the 2nd on the grid. The guy in the middle is our only "prospective" F1 driver and an ex-GP2 driver, Jason Tahinci:

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it by not dying" -Woody Allen

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 21 Aug 2008, 20:28

Wow,sounds fantastic.Sounds like great times.

total3d
kart driver
kart driver

Post by total3d » 24 Aug 2008, 10:20

im racing now, most fun ive ever had, and best decision ive ever made. only thing is, im soo hooked on it that i want to give everything up and do it everyday!!!
the speed is fantastic, over 120km/h in less than 100m, a few cm off the ground.
you learn heaps about racing/mechanics/race set-up since you do it all yourself. i had a race against a friend of mine who was multiple national and state champ, who raced in british f3,A1 ect..., and he hopped right im my kart and went over .5 seconds quicker. you never lose the skill you gain in karts!