Scott Speed gone from Toro Rosso?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
DoornbosGirl
car driver
car driver

Scott Speed gone from Toro Rosso?

Post by DoornbosGirl » 24 Jul 2007, 17:35

Who do you believe? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
SpeedTV.com wrote:F1: Toro Rosso Boots Scott Speed

Scott Speed walks away from his Scuderia Toro Rosso ride after crashing at the Nurburgring. (Photo: Getty Images)

Two weeks after it was announced Formula 1 was leaving the United States, the lone American in the series is now gone.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that Scott Speed will be replaced -- immediately -- on the Scuderia Toro Rosso Formula 1 team following a stormy weekend at the Nurburgring.

A source inside the Red Bull-sponsored team confirmed that Speed got his walking papers Monday after a physical confrontation with team manager Franz Tost. German Sebastian Vettel is the likely choice to replace the young American.

"As far as I know, Scott has not been released and he's planning to go to the test this week in Italy," said Mike Speed, father of the former go-kart star, from his California home on Monday night.

"But, obviously, there's been a lot of things going on."

After spinning out of last Sunday's German Grand Prix, along with six other drivers during a sudden downpour at the 'Ring, Speed and Tost got into a shouting, then shoving match.

And this came on the heels of the 24-year-old's first public statements about his treatment since becoming a full-time F1 regular in 2006.

“It’s clear that from my bosses, that me and Tonio (Liuzzi) both have very little support," Speed told RACER magazine's Adam Cooper last weekend. "It’s been that way for the last two years, and it’s a lot more now. At some point I said I don’t care, if I’m not in F1 next year, if I’m with a different team, it’s OK for me. It’s actually made me lot more relaxed and a lot more calm, and I think I’m producing better results now actually.

"It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to read the press and know that Franz and Gerhard (Berger) are pushing like hell to get rid of me and Tonio."

Even though Speed has out-performed his teammate this year, neither has scored a point and Scott's best showing was ninth at the Canadian Grand Prix. The Toro Rosso team is under-funded, by F1 standards, and half of Speed's eight DNFs in 2007 have been mechanical failures.

SPEEDtv.com speculated several weeks ago that three-time Champ Car king Sebastien Bourdais and Bruno Senna would replace Speed and Liuzzi in 2008 but, if Vettel is released from his contract with BMW, it appears he will join Bourdais.

"Nothing is official, they (Toro Rosso) have an option on me that expires at the end of this month so if something is going to happen it will have to be soon," said Bourdais, who tested for the third time with Toro Rosso earlier this month.

Speed was first chosen by the energy drinks company as part of its U.S.-based Red Bull Driver Search program, which funded the Californian's climb through Europe's junior formulae ranks all the way to F1. It's logical he might be able to use that connection to come to Champ Car since that series needs young American drivers. Co-owners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven currently sport Red Bull sponsorship.

"We haven't discussed anything like that," said Mike Speed. "Scott never wanted to do anything but F1 and I don't think that's changed."
So do you believe it? Or is Speed TV trying to stir up the pot?

Super Aguri
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Scott Speed gone from Toro Rosso?

Post by Super Aguri » 24 Jul 2007, 18:59

Lots of other sites are contradicting each other so it is hard to tell.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 24 Jul 2007, 19:43

Well I wouldn't read too much into what F1-Live say (especially as no other sites seem to have picked up on this story), but I guess it could be possible. Vettel is still Red Bull-backed, plus he has been linked to Toro Rosso for 2008 anyway.

But Berger told Auto Motor und Sport: "We were the only team that lost both cars to accidents. That is unacceptable."

Team principal Tost's criticism, meanwhile, is even more general.
"In free practice our drivers do decent lap times, but the closer to qualifying we come, the slower they go."

The Austrian said: "In Formula One no-one should ever feel one hundred per cent secure."

After reading this, I won't be surprised if they are both gone before the next round....

mclarenmatt
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mclarenmatt » 25 Jul 2007, 08:04

Personally i feel Gerhard Berger has been looking for an excuse to get him out ever since he bought part of Torro Rosso.

DoornbosGirl
car driver
car driver

Post by DoornbosGirl » 25 Jul 2007, 17:20

Now Speed TV is saying that he's back in again.

So they were just trying to stir up a controversy then. I'm glad for Scott, he needs to be in F1 a bit longer. With some good backing from his bosses though. :(

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 27 Jul 2007, 15:24

i think speed is gone, he will be lucky to survive for the hungary gp! but i agree with speed, he was right and i hope him all the best!

Knock him out speed! :toot: :toot: :toot: :p

musashi_sw
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by musashi_sw » 29 Jul 2007, 00:14

speed it's not a great driver, but he also have no car...

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 29 Jul 2007, 05:41

musashi_sw wrote:speed it's not a great driver, but he also have no car...
True, but hes got an personallity which is nice to see as some american racers are cocky and they have a big mouth!

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 29 Jul 2007, 13:01

mclarenmatt wrote:Personally i feel Gerhard Berger has been looking for an excuse to get him out ever since he bought part of Torro Rosso.
I agree with you. I do not think that this race stirred all the trouble for Speed.

The Toro Rosso drivers were the last drivers to be secured for this year's seats and I think that means something.

nelmesy16
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by nelmesy16 » 29 Jul 2007, 14:02

maltafan wrote:
mclarenmatt wrote:Personally i feel Gerhard Berger has been looking for an excuse to get him out ever since he bought part of Torro Rosso.
I agree with you. I do not think that this race stirred all the trouble for Speed.

The Toro Rosso drivers were the last drivers to be secured for this year's seats and I think that means something.
i agree, by signing there drivers very late means they were not so positive about there drver lineup!

MikaOwns
kart driver
kart driver

Post by MikaOwns » 04 Aug 2007, 05:41

Maybe STR should...I don't know...BUILD A BETTER CAR?