Building Formula Cars

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
DLLNP
car driver
car driver

Building Formula Cars

Post by DLLNP » 16 Oct 2014, 00:29

Hi Everyone,

I am a relatively new F1 fan and have become obsessed with it! I am also new to the F1 Zone and was hoping someone could answer a few questions I have about the process of building the F1 cars.

I understand that each team builds their cars from scratch each prior to each season following new FIA specs that come out each year. I have two questions about this process:

1) Do the manufactures of the power units (Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari in this season) just send each team a complete engine to the teams that request one...Or is each engine built specifically for the car? In other words does Red Bull for example build the entire car and then weight for a standardized Renault power unit to arrive in the mail, or does Red Bull have to tell Renault exactly how the power unit needs to be to be able to fit and/or perform in their car?

2) How is it that throughout the years of F1 each seasons new fleet of cars look so close to one another if each team scraps the prior seasons car and starts fresh from the drawing board each year? You would think that the cars would be noticeably different if each team went back to there testing facilities each year completely independent of each other. Or is it that the FIA specs are so strict that they don't allow for a ton of wiggle room in terms of car design so cars from different teams end up looking almost the same (I know there are slight differences between the cars)? If that is the case doesn't that mean the evolution of F1 car design that we have seen over the past 60 years is more due to FIA specs than teams developing new innovative ways to build a car...? In other words do the new innovations we see in aerodynamics, etc mostly stem from people at the FIA developing optimal car specs before each rather than the teams coming up with them?

I'm not sure if those questions make sense.... I've just been a little confused by that and haven't been able to find any clear answers through Google. I am a very curious person and am so intrigued by this sport....every time I watch a Grand Prix I sit on my couch with a pen and note pad writing down questions for myself to Google after the race haha!

Thanks a Lot!

Dillon

frubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Building Formula Cars

Post by frubbs » 17 Oct 2014, 14:20

Hi DLLNP

interesting questions! I have little knowlege about this too, and would like to read what other members have to say....

but, as far as i know, your first assumption is wrong.

The teams build their cars using the previous year´s one.
Even new teams are born from the remainings of extint ones (like Lotus from Renault or RBR from Jaguar)

Sometimes they say they are "going back to scratch for next year", but most of the car is still made of the old one.

About engines, i am not an expert, but i think they are made by the manufacturer and the team adapts its project to it. Of course, the teams have some influence in the project, but the final decision about the engine design belongs to the manufacturer.
Image 322 gps | 14 pp | 11 1st

DLLNP
car driver
car driver

Post by DLLNP » 17 Oct 2014, 17:47

Thanks for the response! Really interesting, I find the process of building so fascinating!

Dillon

marcoh
car driver
car driver

Post by marcoh » 03 Dec 2014, 20:07

question1: The team and engine manufacturer work together very closely to optimise the whole engine/chassis package. That is for the works teams, eg REd Bull/Renault and I would guess that the second tier teams just get given the engine dimensions and then design to that.

Question 2: The rules very much constrain the aerodynamics, and hence the look of the car. This year there have been a few different approached to comply with the noses, and whilst they may not all be attractive, at least it is interesting to see the differences. Personally I refer to 2014 as the year of the proboscis monkey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proboscis_ ... Monkey.jpg