The direction of F1

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

The direction of F1

Post by tderias » 20 Jun 2014, 15:37

This topic has been debated at length, but I think its now worthy of its own thread. F1 is changing a lot. New rules to make things 'more exciting' have been introduced, such as double point finales and standing starts after safety car periods. I'm really interested to see where you guys/gals stand on this. Is F1 heading down the correct path?

My personal opinion is that these additions are gimmicks that add little or nothing to the F1 experience. I find them quite ridiculous. Making the sport more exciting should not be a reason for a change; true fans will find the sport exciting without all the gimmicks. The gimmicks might appeal to casual viewers on the first impression, but on the long-term the sport will be laughed off and ridiculed.

Engine changes were made to keep up with the technology, so is the addition of KERS and DRS (which is actually a clever mechanic). I fully support these changes. But the safety car grid restart, along with the Pirelli tyres and the double points are simply unnecessary.

If I was in control, I'd give the teams more aerodynamic freedom so the cars go as fast as they used to. I'd raise the RPM cap to up the pitch of the cars' sound, and to make them go faster as well. I'd add more durability to the tyres to see the drivers pushing more on the limit; not too durable that tyre wear becomes a non-factor, but not ones that melt after 3 or 4 laps like the ones we have. The 2010 Bridgestones sound about right for me.

What changes would you guys make?

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: The direction of F1

Post by Edi96 » 21 Jun 2014, 08:31

I watched every race since 1995, but right now I'm seriously considering to stop watching F1. Is Formula 1 still the pinnacle of motorsport? Honestly, I don't think so. Their target is to show their commercials to as much consumers as possible and come up with stupid ideas to make that happen. I'm tired of these expansive tickets, ugly fake ad's during the race, Pirelli, DRS, double points, underweight drivers, drivers controlled by PR-guys, ugly cars, the disappointing engine sound, questionable steward-decisions, too much penalties and the distance between fans and "protagonists". The tracks become more and more boring in regions where they don't really care about F1 or don't have the money to buy a ticket. It's so depressing.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 21 Jun 2014, 09:01

These standing starts are the rule makers once again coming up with an answer to a question no one is asking.

sermilan
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sermilan » 21 Jun 2014, 15:05

Edi96, you've nailed it! I've lost about 70% of interest for F1 that I used to have some 10 years a go or so. Almost everything is artificial now, no real feelings (just business), no real passion.

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 22 Jun 2014, 07:01

F1 in 2014 has lost the charm. I have been watching F1 more than a decade now from the V10 era, then shifting ti V8 and now the current Formula. Everything is so fake. Just because the fans are complaining they are adding up artificial things to make the spectacle more exciting. The artificial sparks test is to create sparks while driving is so frustrating.

I think they should look into keeping it simple. I am surprised that if the Technical group has no innovative idea of making F1 more exciting and going back to the 80s & 90s era to put up a show why don't they focus and making regulations like the 80s & 90s where everything was natural.

In my opinion if they want to go in the right direction FIA/F~0~M should take the below things into consideration:

Review the Formula for the 80s & 90s and design a car based on the Aerodynamics of that era but with the current safety regulations.

In order to keep the cost in control the same V6 - Turbos can be used but with a higher RMP.

Consider team entries based on their performances. (It does not make sense to have a car on the grid which is 3-4 seconds a lap slower- Tail Enders)

Instead of going to new places and doing the construction of new tracks and then dumping them for financial reason it would be better to invest half the money involved on such projects into Classic Tracks from the 80-90 and 2000

Mattyboy
car driver
car driver

Post by Mattyboy » 23 Jun 2014, 11:18

I understand that they needed to cut costs. Without that, privateer teams like Williams might not be here anymore. And the safety side of things is good. But sometimes the racing is just too artificial. I have never been a fan of the whole DRS thing. In the past, if you made an early pitstop and came out behind a slower car, we all could watch the thrill of them trying to overtake and the other driver defend. That way, the top teams could see who was good and who wasn't in the lower teams. Now its just wait till the DRS zone then they fly past. its artificial. STOP DRS!!!!!!

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 25 Jun 2014, 13:42

I don't mind DRS if it was used in a different manner, i.e. drivers have 2 minutes of DRS per Grand Prix etc. That way both drivers can use it and its no longer a straight-forward pass.

I understand the urge to go back to previous eras of F1, but that would make the sport simply irrelevant. For me, the idea is to keep the technological advancements but get rid of the gimmicks.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 25 Jun 2014, 18:56

What technological advancements are you suggesting?

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 26 Jun 2014, 11:14

I meant the power units and KERS systems. F1 can stay relevant without all the added BS.

Mattyboy
car driver
car driver

Post by Mattyboy » 26 Jun 2014, 11:20

I think KERS is a good idea and a potential thing to go into road cars of the future but DRS needs to go it has no relevance on road cars and makes the racing artificial.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 26 Jun 2014, 11:31

tderias wrote:I meant the power units and KERS systems. F1 can stay relevant without all the added BS.
I get you. DRS was only supposed to be a temporary measure. But until aerodynamics are resolved I guess it will stay.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 26 Jun 2014, 18:42

FIA announces something stupid. Everyone (drivers, media, and most importantly fans) condemn it. FIA confirms it.

Mattyboy
car driver
car driver

Post by Mattyboy » 26 Jun 2014, 19:17

Always the way. F1 is getting worse. Yes i understand technology has gotta move forward but rule changes like this? Really?

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 26 Jun 2014, 20:41

Imagine a driver having a comfortable lead in the final race of the season only for a safety car to come out. He gets spun at the standing restart and loses the title on double points. How bad would that be? :|