What's the traffic like at Silverstone on the Friday?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Si Timo
car driver
car driver

What's the traffic like at Silverstone on the Friday?

Post by Si Timo » 04 Jan 2014, 14:15

Hi all,

My friend and myself are planning on going to see the F1 race at Silverstone this year for the 1st time after watching it on tv for years (both in are forties now). Planning on camping at Woodlands going down on Friday and going home on the Monday as we both don't like traffic jams and thinking the whole weekend camping will just add to the experience.

So as newbies I was thinking about driving down on the Friday to get to the campsite at about 12 o'clock midday, is this a good time or is the traffic really bad? Or is it much easier earlier/later etc?

Also thinking about watching at Copse because it's covered and I know we have to book quick as it selling out!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Si
Last edited by phil1993 on 04 Jan 2014, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to relevant section

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: What's the traffic like at Silverstone on the Friday?

Post by mikhailv » 04 Jan 2014, 14:55

Its horrible. Silverstone are often trying to force people to not use their cars and use public shuttle buses to the track.

KevC

Post by KevC » 04 Jan 2014, 15:08

I've never had any trouble getting in or out on a friday. It only took me 40 minutes each way from Oxford last year.

Si Timo
car driver
car driver

Post by Si Timo » 04 Jan 2014, 16:11

Kevin Clark wrote:I've never had any trouble getting in or out on a friday. It only took me 40 minutes each way from Oxford last year.
40 mins from Oxford is not bad I'm defiantly going to go on the Friday then thanks and when the cars parked I'm not planning on moving it until Monday.I know it does depend on the weather also like the mud trouble at camps the other year, fingers crossed its sunny :pray:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Jan 2014, 17:06

It'll depend on what goes on, but Friday is usually busy but not horrendously busy. Friday in 2012 was just the perfect storm (albeit, 2014 is already going that way based on the recent weather!)

I had no problems last year, but then again I was in by 6.30 every day so if you're early enough you'll be fine. I would guess the worst time would be between about 8am and 10am as FP1 starts at 9am. There's a lot of grandstands at Silverstone so you should be fine - there's a lot of places you can watch from.

Leaving on Monday should be fine. The worst traffic comes for about the 3 hours after the race, which is mainly down to the appallingly designed junction at the M40.

If you need any other advice, feel free to post it here as I've done Silverstone three times for F1 & I'm sure the other guys & girls here have tips.

Si Timo
car driver
car driver

Post by Si Timo » 04 Jan 2014, 18:14

phil1993 wrote:It'll depend on what goes on, but Friday is usually busy but not horrendously busy. Friday in 2012 was just the perfect storm (albeit, 2014 is already going that way based on the recent weather!)

I had no problems last year, but then again I was in by 6.30 every day so if you're early enough you'll be fine. I would guess the worst time would be between about 8am and 10am as FP1 starts at 9am. There's a lot of grandstands at Silverstone so you should be fine - there's a lot of places you can watch from.

Leaving on Monday should be fine. The worst traffic comes for about the 3 hours after the race, which is mainly down to the appallingly designed junction at the M40.

If you need any other advice, feel free to post it here as I've done Silverstone three times for F1 & I'm sure the other guys & girls here have tips.
Thanks Phil I've just booked my tickets online. I went for farm curve as the race day stand and you get a roving ticket for practice and qualy so we can check a few other grand stands out :thumbsup:

Si Timo
car driver
car driver

Post by Si Timo » 07 Jul 2014, 20:25

Got home today (Monday) at 1pm. Great race when it finally got going after the hour delay. Really pleased we went on Thursday and not Friday as we would have been miles back at the campsite if we had have gone Friday. Next time I'm taking wellies as after the rain all friday night it got a bit muddy the next day.