My pictures from the Canadian Grand Prix 2013

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

My pictures from the Canadian Grand Prix 2013

Post by TheViewer » 22 Jun 2013, 21:54

Following on from my weekend with the Indycars in Detroit, my second and final weekend in North America saw me in Montreal for the F1 Grand Prix.

1. Race ticket. I went for the Silver Trio package, which gave a seat in three different grandstands on the different days. I bought it through the F1.com website, costing £323.
2.I as usual stayed in a hostel. It cost around £25 a night when the race was on, but just £15 thereafter. It was located just two minutes from the main subway station which was convenient for getting to the track. There were quite a few other fans staying there, from all around the world. If I was going to the race again I would have no problems going back there. http://www.m-montreal.com/
3. Return metro ticket, £4 each day.

The weekend was fantastic but wet. There was a lot to do in the city, and a packed schedule with the F1 and 4 support categories which each had 2 races.

Thursday
Arriving on Thursday it was wet. I stumbled upon a street festival during the evening, which ran between Thursday-Saturday. David Coulthard made a sponsor appearance and signed some autographs for those of us who waited in the rain. The city really embraces the race, so it should have been no surprise to see this festival!

Friday
The Silver Trio ticket gave access to grandstand 15 on Friday. Although at the time I thought they were good seats, really we were quite far away from the track due to the gravel trap. However the view was good.

Some shots of the cars:

Notice that the headrest on Jean-Eric Vergne's car is coming loose:

I went for a wander around the track at lunchtime, looking at some of the corners:

In the afternoon, some of the spectators went to this area where you could just about take photos of the cars without the fence being in the way. I'm far too much of an amateur to succeed with this, but some of the photos aren't bad:

In the evening I went to the #tweetup organised by Will Buxton on Twitter. For those of you unfamiliar with Will, he is British and works the pit reporter for NBC Sports in America (formerly working with SpeedTV). He also is the world feed commentator for GP2 and GP3. Will sent out a time and a place, and anyone could come. It was a really fun evening, with around 50 fans and some journalists and photographers there. I was able to have conversations with Will, Jason Swales (the producer for NBC and used to be the producer for Radio 5 Live), and the guy behind the Fake Charlie Whiting Twitter account.

Canadian DTM driver Robert Wickens came along:

Will Buxton excitedly introduces Fake Charlie Whiting:

Saturday
The ticket allowed access to Grandstand 24 for Saturday. This was closer to the track so better, but you need to be right at the front for the best seats because this means you can see the cars go from left to right and then right to left. Still being at the hairpin was ok, and it was a good place to watch the support races as there was some overtaking there.

Sunday
The ticket allowed me into Grandstand 12 and turn 1. We had a very good view of the cars coming into turns 1 and 2 and accelerating away, but could not see the start. This compares with Grandstand 11 which I think would have had a better view as this grandstand was pointing towards start/finish and the pits.

Access to the track is really easy. This is the main entrance, which was quiet early on Sunday. There were no checks of bags, and people were bringing in large coolers with food and drink.

McDonalds had a booth set up just to give out free coffee! Very much appreciated by me early on race morning.

Now some of the race:

After the race the fans waited to pour onto the track. Notice the crane with the car of Esteban Guitierrez in the background. Presumably the tragic accident which took the life of a marshal was just a minute away.

Podium:

We had a chance to hang around the start/finish straight and look into the pits, but there was no access there. Parc Ferme was incredibly open so I got some very close up photos of the cars, including rear details which the teams do not like other people seeing.

Fence being taken down already!

All in all, I had a fantastic time in Montreal. The atmosphere in the city was great, and the racing was very good. It was a shame to hear about the tragic accident taking the life of a marshal. If I didn't live in the UK then I would be back every year, but unfortunately I can't see myself getting back this race any time soon! It was an expensive two weeks but good fun and worth it ultimately.

I have no idea when and where will be my next race, but I think I've exhausted street tracks now. I've heard that it's not too hard to use public transport to get to the track in Barcelona and Hungaroring, so maybe those could be next.

If you have any questions about the experience just ask!

EDIT:
Some video that I took over the 3 days:

Stephanie
car driver
car driver

Re: My pictures from the Canadian Grand Prix 2013

Post by Stephanie » 12 Jul 2013, 10:41

Nice work of yours dear. Vary few one take and upload pics like this. Superb and wonderful. At some-one's spots it seems they were taken by some expert one. Should you like to tell about it.

newf1fan
car driver
car driver

Re: My pictures from the Canadian Grand Prix 2013

Post by newf1fan » 02 Aug 2013, 12:45

Wow, how hard was it to take a photo of the cars when they're at such high speed, nicely done.