Silly season 2013-14

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: Silly season 2013-14

Post by phil1993 » 06 Nov 2013, 18:38

mikhailv wrote:I dont rate Bottas; and he hasn't been impressive at all.
Canada?

It wasn't just one lap, he was quick in Q1, Q2 and Q3. He was also very good in Malaysia.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 06 Nov 2013, 18:49

phil1993 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:I thought he was took out in the first corner melee with grosjean?
He was tagged and spun, but as he was making his recovery he ran into Glock, lost his front wing and retired.
Ah, I thought he qualified right up front.
kals wrote:
mikhailv wrote:And Hungary was a ridiculous penalty/silverstone was a racing incident. Australia too was pushing to get points from a slow Alonso. Nothing hugely bad
None of these things matter. The point is that he was involved in incidents and by being involved in incidents he cost himself and Williams points. That's it. The end.
Ok, even so, he performed more often than not, including retirements where he was going for gold instead of accepting silver, something which is often criticised.

phil1993 wrote:
Canada?

It wasn't just one lap, he was quick in Q1, Q2 and Q3. He was also very good in Malaysia.
Two races though. Its just not enough. I cant see a place for him on the grid next year.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 06 Nov 2013, 18:51

Two great moments in a totally terrible Williams. He's been good all season though, with a few typical rookie low-points.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 06 Nov 2013, 18:58

mikhailv wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:I thought he was took out in the first corner melee with grosjean?
He was tagged and spun, but as he was making his recovery he ran into Glock, lost his front wing and retired.
Ah, I thought he qualified right up front.
He started 6th. But after jumping the start he got caught up in the aftermath of Grosjean's accident.

mikhailv wrote:
kals wrote:
mikhailv wrote:And Hungary was a ridiculous penalty/silverstone was a racing incident. Australia too was pushing to get points from a slow Alonso. Nothing hugely bad
None of these things matter. The point is that he was involved in incidents and by being involved in incidents he cost himself and Williams points. That's it. The end.
Ok, even so, he performed more often than not, including retirements where he was going for gold instead of accepting silver, something which is often criticised.
Correct, and I'm not disputing that. His performances at a lot of races were brilliant. But sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 06 Nov 2013, 20:55

Certainly. This year hes calmed down alot. I wont miss him if he leaves, but id love to see him in a capable car again, i think he would surprise. I just dont see the flashes of speed, the great overtaking and opportunism in Hulk. I only remember him being defensive. I hope that next year should he be at Lotus, he can do something but i just wonder why nobody considers him.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 06 Nov 2013, 22:19

That's the thing though. You don't need to be spectacular to be great. Look at Prost. I'm not saying Hulk is the next Professor, rather there's more to a great driver than just outright speed.

I've never been a doubter of Maldonado, I know he's quick and he's talented. Since seeing him around 2004 and 2005 I've known he's good, but he's reckless. Pastor is like the latter day version of Andrea de Cesaris. Except he's won a GP!

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 07 Nov 2013, 05:42

mikhailv wrote:Eurgh, Chilton, really? IMO Di Resta, Chilton and Pic shouldn't be on the grid. Id like to see Maldanado move up, id like to see Magnussen and Perez at mclaren and drop Button as he has nothing to offer mclaren, and he isn't leading the team at all.
Chilton is exactly the kind of reliable, consistent driver that Force India needs.
phil1993 wrote:
Canada?

Let's not forget Abu Dhabi. He was on for a point until Williams botched his pit stop.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 07 Nov 2013, 08:32

Maldanado outperformed him in Abu Dhabi, Bottas was never set for a point, it was Maldanado. Chilton, reliable? If reliable means a second slow than your team mate then ok. I thought he was improving but Bianchi has just gone to another level again.

Prost is a false reference. Prost to me, is the greatest Formula 1 driver for me; Piquet, Senna, Rene Arnoux, Lauda, Keke (hardly any good but still a WDC unfortunatly), Mansell and HIll. he beat them all. In the same car. If it wasnt for that crazy ruling of points, he not only wouldve been 5 times champion, but beat senna both times not just once. Though its false to say he wasn't fast in outright speed; he had more fastest laps than Senna and personally, much better driver. he utilised his speed correctly instead of going all out every lap. Hence being called the Professor!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Nov 2013, 08:54

Chilton's been very reliable, but in fairness to Bianchi none of his three retirements have been his fault.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 07 Nov 2013, 13:21

Chilton shouldn't be on the F1 grid. End of. He's not reliable. He's pathetic.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 09 Nov 2013, 11:56

To me it stinks that one of di Resta, Sutil or Hulkenberg (less likely now) could end up without a seat whilst Maldonado is guaranteed one somewhere.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Nov 2013, 13:48

A few sources suggesting that Alonso will undertake a medical assessment on Monday to see if he's fit for Austin.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 09 Nov 2013, 14:15

donald29 wrote:To me it stinks that one of di Resta, Sutil or Hulkenberg (less likely now) could end up without a seat whilst Maldonado is guaranteed one somewhere.
Well out of the 3, Di Resta doesnt deserve a seat anyway, less so than Maldanado. The others will get seats.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 09 Nov 2013, 19:50

Hulkenberg is the best of the lot.

I can't choose between Sutil and Di Resta to be honest. Adrian doesn't come across as hungry enough and ambitious to go somewhere in F1, it's like he's there to make up the numbers and drive the car home when he's not getting drive-throughs for ignoring blue flags. Paul shows flashes of brilliance and you can tell he wants to progress and fight for race wins, but he's simply not consistent enough at a level where every point counts, being part of a fiercely competitive midfield group.

I agree with donald on Maldonado. He'd be my last option if I was looking for talent, because barely beating a rookie - if that - is not good enough when you've had the experience of winning a race.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 09 Nov 2013, 21:04

I rate Sutil but since his return, he hasn't really been that good. Still put him above Di Resta though. He is just terrible. 4 races in a row he crashed out through his own accord. When the car was strong he did well, since Britain though when the tyres were changed, Di Resta scored 14 and Sutil scored 12, which is very close. Whats saved Di Resta's hind is his 4th place in Bahrain. Equally, Sutil has been rubbish in qualifying. Ultimately, the tyre changes screwed this team and since then, theyve never been able to recover and just look lost. FI certainly gave up on this year many races ago. Who could blame them? More shocking though is Mclaren......

Di resta though, has just shown nothing. This is the first year he will beat his teammate after being spanked by Sutil in 2011 and Hulkenberg in 2012. He is just too invisible. You only notice him in the points when he is holding people up by going on a longer strategy. He is a solid driver but not a racer. He should've stayed in tin tops to be honest, he's just nothing but a miserable ar****le who blames the team for everything. His accidents he tried blaming on the team.

Maldanado vs Bottas isn't a close fight to me, Maldanado has been noticeably better since Britain beating Bottas 8 out of 10 and scoring the single point and unluckily missing out in Abu Dhabi after a great drive. Bottas has really faded away. Car could be at fault, but still he needs to be noticeable and unfortunatly he is just like Di Resta; pretty invisible.