It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 19:31

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: What is it and Where is it Going? Formula 1 2013 and Bey
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 18:04  
F1 Driver

Treacle wrote:
I'd like to think that I care about the planet, but I don't think saving it should start with F1. (Not to mention our part in global warming is not that significant people tend to believe...)
Joey, how much do you know about electric cars? As of now buying an electric car just doesn't worth it. They are discharged after about 60 miles. 60 miles, that's nothing. And there are just a few stations nationwide so charging them is a bit of a problem. There is no infrastructure built around it. Sure, maybe in 5 years when you get your driver's license things will be different (even though I doubt it, as long as there is oil or oil shale, for that matter, nothing will change). And the hybrids are just as polluting in some cases.
If you want to watch electric cars racing, check out the Formula E championship.

As for the government trying to encourage people, I don't believe it. If they wanted to make a change and advertise eco-friendly cars they would start developing eco-friendly methods. Yet what is the American Government doing? They are digging for oil shales.
And do you honestly believe that the 22 F1 cars are worse in polluting our world than let's say the Americans? In the US families own more than 2 cars in average. My own experience is that everyone in the family who is of age has their own car. That's a waste imo, if you want to be eco-friendly take public transportation. Do carpooling. (On a side note, I'd like to point out that the USA is one of the few who hasn't ratified the Kyoto Protocol... Think about that as well.)

So no, I don't think F1 will be better off with the V6's. Because what's next? The global warming won't stop because F1 changed their engines. In a couple of years are they going to downgrade some more? This is not a solution to anything, just a distraction from the real problems F1 has as a sport.

Joey Zyla wrote:
I mean at this point in time, lap times (at least in qualifying) are the same as they were in 2004, if not faster.
Yet all the lap records are held by Schumacher from 2004.

You do have a point. I agree with what Ferrariman60 said, the main thing holding electric cars back is the lack of charging stations and the long time they take to charge.

About that last point, lap records are set in races. Tyre and fuel conservation. Enough said.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 18:30  
F1 Routinier

Electric cars are pointless. Overpriced, poor mpg so to speak. Hardly anywhere to charge. Then theres the quietness, horribly rubbish designs. Most of these 'eco cars' use petrol above 30mph.

How can a new pass driver afford a £20000 electric renault when a £400 car costs 2900 a year on average????

Its a ridiculous idea and concept. It would require COMPLETE overhauls of countries. You fill your petrol up in minuets. You charge cars in upto 12 hours. Where can cars park and charge? What if your going from london to scotland; would take A DAY because of charging up.

Theyre fine for town centers. But then it begs the question of just using public transport.

ontop of can you honestly see countries wanting to stop using petrol? Its a huge tax revenue for governments. Its all a ridiculous fallacy.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 19:05  
GP2 Driver

Joey, I meant this kind of lap record: http://f1.wikia.com/wiki/Lap_Record
Obviously I was exaggerating, but a lot of them are held by Schumacher and most of them were set in 2004.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 19:10  
F1 Driver

Treacle wrote:
Obviously I was exaggerating, but a lot of them are held by Schumacher and most of them were set in 2004.

I don't understand what you're talking about now. Tyre and fuel conservation was not as important in 2004, which is why race laps were faster then.
 Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 19:15  
GP2 Driver

Joey Zyla wrote:
Treacle wrote:

I don't understand what you're talking about now. Tyre and fuel conservation was not as important in 2004, which is why race laps were faster then.

Yep, you are right. My bad. :)

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 08:34  
F1 Routinier

In 2004 you had refuelling, V10's and grooved tyres. aero wasn't as prominant as it is now, especially with the exhaust bowing, DRS, F-duct, slick tyres, engine maps and KERS nowdays. So the lesser impact of aero compared to today and the V10's are overruled by such aero gains and tricks that the V8 engines dont lose out in ultimate lap time because of cornering is faster.

Ideally, V10s, Slick tyres, DRS, Exhaust blowing, KERS and ''flexi wings'' would see 2004 times absolutly obliterated. Today they are still slower, look at quali times of 2004 to quali times of 2013;

Australia 2004 pole was 1.24.4, this year was 1.27.7. You could argue tyres, but then lets go for 2011 with EBD and the like and it proves my point; 2011 pole was faster than 2004.
 Offline Profile