Mercedes/Pirelli International Tribunal - Decision Friday

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Mercedes face protest over tyre testing

Post by mikhailv » 26 May 2013, 20:03

If all the teams knew why did hembrey in 6 interviews this weekend and brawn/ham/ros not mention it once? What was to hide? RBR say they first heard last night. So instant fail on 1)

W04 was allowed if all teams offered and notified. Driver allowed too if pirelli ran the test. But Merc ran it.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 27 May 2013, 06:25

It might be just me... But if Mercedes started testing while the others were packing up in Barcelona, or even if they just didn't pack up like they should have done. Why did nobody ask them what's going on?
I can't believe that out of 10 teams no one felt like asking why Mercedes is staying. If they asked and Mercedes answered then it was no secret and everybody knew about the test. If they asked and Mercedes didn't tell the truth it's just more suspicious. Either way it should have been public knowledge on the weekend of the Spanish GP.
So something doesn't add up...
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 27 May 2013, 07:53

Couldve thought theyre advertising. Often do it at catalunya

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 27 May 2013, 13:59

So, an email emerged stating Pirelli does have the ability to as a team to do 1000km, BUT NO TEAMS CAN PARTICIPATE DURING THE SEASON.

Mercedes was warned last year that there was no scope in the Formula 1 regulations for any private in-season testing.

The email, a copy of which has been seen by AUTOSPORT, states that following discussions with the FIA, it is clear that in-season tyre testing for Pirelli by a single team cannot take place.

"Pirelli is entitled under the terms of their agreement with the FIA to offer teams 1000km of tyre testing, subject to each team being treated equally," said the email.

"[FOTA has] spoken with Charlie [Whiting] to confirm the process going forward, and there are two options: 1. ALL teams want to take up Pirelli's offer and this is communicated to the FIA who will amend the Sporting Regulations; or 2. The test takes place out of season (and then the testing agreement comes into play)."

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 27 May 2013, 14:03

That's rough...
So Mercedes went deliberately against the rules. They can't say that they thought it was okay with FIA since this agreement was born after Pirelli's first offer.
Wonder what will happen now. Seems like giving them a fine wouldn't cut it.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 27 May 2013, 16:50

Treacle wrote:That's rough...
So Mercedes went deliberately against the rules. They can't say that they thought it was okay with FIA since this agreement was born after Pirelli's first offer.
Confirmed that Charlie Whiting gave permission for the test. WITHOUT LETTING THE FIA KNOW.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 27 May 2013, 17:13

This is screwed up.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 27 May 2013, 17:31

mikhailv wrote:
Confirmed that Charlie Whiting gave permission for the test. WITHOUT LETTING THE FIA KNOW.
That's ridiculous.
Wasn't CW at the hearing though? He could have said something...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 27 May 2013, 19:13

Treacle wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
That's ridiculous.
Wasn't CW at the hearing though? He could have said something...
There was an FIA delegate there too apparently. yet Jean Todt and the heads of the FIA actually didn't know. Then again. Charlie Whiting is a proven liar under oath. Remember that steward calling Whiting a liar over Lewis' Spa 2008 penalty??

And he is Brawns old mate.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 28 May 2013, 10:27

From planetf1 :lol:
The weirdest thing about the Mercedes 1000km Pirelli test at Barcelona is that it only became news on Sunday morning. You'd have thought that someone at the circuit might have tipped off the press a lot earlier, there's no shortage of Fernando Alonso fans nearby. It's not like it was Bahrain or China where the local population are not so tuned in to the significance of an F1 team testing.

Presumably Lewis had to be advised not to tweet: "Enjoying my 1000k blast round Barcelona. Other teams will be furious. LOL."
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 28 May 2013, 14:36

Intriguingly sources have told this blog that in Monaco Mercedes used the swapping technique for the first time – or at least it was the first time that it was spotted by keen-eyed observers.

It would thus be very easy to speculate that Mercedes took the opportunity of the Barcelona test to try swapping the rears around.

Inevitably the speculation is that Mercedes didn’t just try tyres in Barcelona, but also its own components. It’s even been suggested that the team ran a gearbox with revised suspension geometry in attempt to get to the bottom of its tyre problems.
http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/05/28/anal ... ing-teams/

I am pretty sure nothing will happen. FIA will offer the same opportunity for the top teams.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 28 May 2013, 15:52

iceman1 wrote:I am pretty sure nothing will happen.
I agree,Ross Brawn has been long enough in the sport to know what's within the regulations and what's not,and i think RedBull are complaining because now they are the only top team who have problems with tyres and that's painful for them obviously.
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 28 May 2013, 16:14

iceman1 wrote:I am pretty sure nothing will happen. FIA will offer the same opportunity for the top teams.
Then something happens. :) I'm sure the top teams would be more than fine with that option.
majidasadi wrote: I agree,Ross Brawn has been long enough in the sport to know what's within the regulations and what's not,and i think RedBull are complaining because now they are the only top team who have problems with tyres and that's painful for them obviously.
If it was only Red Bull complaining...
Had the roles been reversed everyone would be up in arms over "the cheater RBR, which can't do anything legally".

The bottom line is someone made a huge mistake. I don't care if it's Ross Brawn, Charlie Withing or Pirelli. This gave an advantage to Mercedes and it's not fair. I understand that people use RBR as a counter argument with the double diffuser, the front wings, etc. But in all honesty none of those were proved illegal. This on the other hand...

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 28 May 2013, 16:59

Ferrari are protesting too.

The FIA needs to get to the bottom of this sooner than later. I just can't see every team given a 1000km test. Someone's head is gonna roll, and I fear it might be Charlie's.

naiego
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by naiego » 28 May 2013, 18:49

In order to avoid a "Pirelli-gate" coming to life FIA should strip off Monaco's GP points from Mercedes, perhaps let the drivers keep the points just as in McLaren's case in 2007, and allow the rest of the teams do a 3-day test with Pirelli prior to Canada's GP, for instance this weekend.
I understand all these are difficult to happen but I think this is the best damage limitation for the sport, the teams and Pirelli.