Formula One and the Media

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Formula One and the Media

Post by phil1993 » 16 Jan 2013, 14:03

This is a thoroughly excellent article by Nigel Roebuck - who has seen it all - about the state of PR in F1
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ask_n ... mula-1-pr/

It made me think about it. The press conferences are appallingly dull and provide little information. Drivers should be allowed to speak their minds, because it makes the sport more popular. Raikkonen is by far the most popular driver in terms of site hits and whatnot. Personalities are key.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Formula One and the Media

Post by donald29 » 18 Jan 2013, 18:09

The problem is when a driver speaks their mind it might turn out they're a d**k, or they'll say something which the press (the people who say they should speak their minds more) jump on and give them a load of grief for so they'll be put off saying what they think and go back to being very reserved in the future as it's not worth the aggro they get from the media. The press are ultimately looking for a story, so I can't blame the drivers for not wanting to give them a sniff of one.

It's funny that Raikkonen is so popular for his personality, as he says less than anyone. :p

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 19 Jan 2013, 21:30

donald29 wrote:The problem is when a driver speaks their mind it might turn out they're a d**k, or they'll say something which the press (the people who say they should speak their minds more) jump on and give them a load of grief for so they'll be put off saying what they think and go back to being very reserved in the future as it's not worth the aggro they get from the media. The press are ultimately looking for a story, so I can't blame the drivers for not wanting to give them a sniff of one.

It's funny that Raikkonen is so popular for his personality, as he says less than anyone. :p
Actions speak louder than words. And the few words kimi says are straight to the point and awsome.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 21 Jan 2013, 14:43

There's another article from Joe Saward here
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/01/ ... -f1-media/

I know this site falls into those he's trying to chastise. But my point is that we're trapped in a Catch 22 - we need to stay free and offer news free of charge, but no-one gives us any credit until we can get out there and show that we're not like the other F1 websites. We've had FIA accreditation twice, but by remaining free-to-view, there's the affordability.