2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 09:22

I remember getting abit of flak for posting that Perez was rubbish last year! 51 of his 66 points came from 3 podiums, 2 of which were results of a reverse tyre strategy thanks to a bad Saturday. His teammate scored 6 points less, had 2 podiums less but scored in 3 more races. Perez went very erratic at the end of the season.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 16 Apr 2013, 09:41

I disagree that Perez has been rubbish; his strong point has never been pure out and out pace. The problem is that it's usually his racecraft that makes up for it, but with McLaren - and he himself - struggling, that's what's been lacking.

He has the potential to improve and he needs to be given time. The issue is that McLaren has only the 5th fastest car, the quality of the field means making it in the top 6 or 7 is hard and his team-mate is the most experienced guy out there.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 10:25

Thing is, I don't remember Perez having race craft. He saved tyres, but his wheel-to-wheel wasn't that great.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 10:29

That Vergne couldn't see Webber on sunday.... Only just managed to see Vettel last year though;

;D

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 16 Apr 2013, 11:18

mikhailv wrote:I remember getting abit of flak for posting that Perez was rubbish last year! 51 of his 66 points came from 3 podiums, 2 of which were results of a reverse tyre strategy thanks to a bad Saturday. His teammate scored 6 points less, had 2 podiums less but scored in 3 more races. Perez went very erratic at the end of the season.
i agree that he finished on podium because of some strange circumstances,but let's not forget that there were drivers-like his tea mate- that had the same chance of reverse tyre strategy but they never had the speed of him to go and overtake other cars on a different strategy,and i think it's not fair to compare him with Kobayashi and say Kobayashi scored in more races,so he was the better sauber driver,it's like when people compare Maldonado with Senna and say: ok Maldonado won a race, but his team mate scored in more races!
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 12:32

majidasadi wrote:
mikhailv wrote:I remember getting abit of flak for posting that Perez was rubbish last year! 51 of his 66 points came from 3 podiums, 2 of which were results of a reverse tyre strategy thanks to a bad Saturday. His teammate scored 6 points less, had 2 podiums less but scored in 3 more races. Perez went very erratic at the end of the season.
i agree that he finished on podium because of some strange circumstances,but let's not forget that there were drivers-like his tea mate- that had the same chance of reverse tyre strategy but they never had the speed of him to go and overtake other cars on a different strategy,and i think it's not fair to compare him with Kobayashi and say Kobayashi scored in more races,so he was the better sauber driver,it's like when people compare Maldonado with Senna and say: ok Maldonado won a race, but his team mate scored in more races!
Kobayashi was the better driver that year though. He scored in more races albeit 6 points less than perez but that says something when over 80% of Perez's points are through failures on saturday. And the other thing is, Perez had one failure, was took out in belgium, but then had 4 retirements due to other race incidents and was lucky not to retire in Abu Dhabi after his complete idiocy, Koboayashi had a brake failure, took out twice and a race collision. So thats 7 incidents in 2012. 2011 he wasn't impressive either.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 16 Apr 2013, 14:43

Kovalainen was not that good either, but he shows the performance quite balance not that bad or good, or should I say: just as we all expected. But Perez might be different situation. People expect him to be much better than his performance right now. But unfortunately, people didn't aware that his podium results back in 2012 was all about on the right situation or strategy, not purely performance. So, comparing Perez and Kovalainen probably a correct comparison, I mean their skills probably more or less comparable in the same class. Just don't expect him to be the next Hamilton or someone else like that.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 16:12

I think Kovalainen was wasted in Caterham. In the R27 he had Fisichella easily, in his first year. His second year he was clear number 2, he put some average performances in but then he bore the brunt of a fair few failures. He was always clean and out of trouble. He was performing better than lewis at the start of 2009 but fell backwards as he grasped with the car. Then he went to Caterham and ended his career. Its a shame because how he matured at Caterham, and how when testing with Renault F1 in 06, he had the speed. I know he was severely pressured in 2007 by Briatore.

There was more than just that one win in Kovalainen, just like there was more than his 3 years at Caterham.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 16 Apr 2013, 17:33

Heikki showed really good promise in the Renault. Had a so-so yr in Mclaren, and then bounced back in Caterham.

If teams like Toro Rosso were there for racing, Heikki would be a perfect fit.

Force India has been making good choices; and Williams and Sauber are a bit tighter on $, so they are kinda meeting half way... but Heikki would be a great match for either TR, Williams or Sauber.

Perez is still too raw. But who would have been the best choice for Mclaren?
(I think Hulkenberg is a Ferrari guy, so other than him)... who could have Mclaren gone with?? Tough choice.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 16 Apr 2013, 17:53

mikhailv wrote:
majidasadi wrote:
Kobayashi was the better driver that year though. He scored in more races albeit 6 points less than perez but that says something when over 80% of Perez's points are through failures on saturday. And the other thing is, Perez had one failure, was took out in belgium, but then had 4 retirements due to other race incidents and was lucky not to retire in Abu Dhabi after his complete idiocy, Koboayashi had a brake failure, took out twice and a race collision. So thats 7 incidents in 2012. 2011 he wasn't impressive either.
Perez had a couple of problems in 2012:
In China the team made a pit strategy error and he also had problems with the car's clutch.
In Monaco it was Maldonado's childish behavior cost him qualifying and in Monaco it's not easy to finish higher than you start,though he set fastest lap that day.
Again in Silverstone he collided with Maldonado.
In germany he started 17th and finished 6th,again on a reverse strategy.
In Belgium it was Grosjean...
but suddenly after he signed with Mclaren he started to drive like a child,for example his stupid first lap in korea... i think we shoud give him more time in McLaren and let's see how he performs there.
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 16 Apr 2013, 17:55

from planet f1
Engineer Andrea Stella understandably got a little bit nervous, but his laid back team radio manner still came over as chilled, like he was addressing Fernando from a Milan café/bar while waiting for a double espresso, "There is no need to push. Ciao." You wonder if Andrea can even do 'agitated'. Contrast that with Sebastian Vettel's engineer 'Rocky' who only does degrees of uptight, from reigned-in, at the mild end; to barking like a wolf, at the other. Anyway, when El Nano came back on the radio and said he wasn't pushing, you believed him.
Last edited by majidasadi on 16 Apr 2013, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 17:57

F1EA wrote:Heikki showed really good promise in the Renault. Had a so-so yr in Mclaren, and then bounced back in Caterham.

If teams like Toro Rosso were there for racing, Heikki would be a perfect fit.

Force India has been making good choices; and Williams and Sauber are a bit tighter on $, so they are kinda meeting half way... but Heikki would be a great match for either TR, Williams or Sauber.

Perez is still too raw. But who would have been the best choice for Mclaren?
(I think Hulkenberg is a Ferrari guy, so other than him)... who could have Mclaren gone with?? Tough choice.
Mclaren shouldve took Kovalainen back to be honest. I think he would give Button a run for his money. He is more adaptable and I always thought he had similar speed as Jenson. Force india shouldve ditched di resta and had Sutil/Bianchi. said it from the start, di Resta is a piss-poor driver.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 16 Apr 2013, 19:57

Bianchi would have been great in Force India... but that is only AFTER people have seen him. I think Force India did ok, considering it was Hulk who left.

Now, this is Diresta's do or die year. He's been pretty average at best.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 20:01

F1EA wrote:Bianchi would have been great in Force India... but that is only AFTER people have seen him. I think Force India did ok, considering it was Hulk who left.

I argued to put him in with Sutil during testing because invisibleresta is rubbish :P

Di Resta has been beaten by his teammate twice in his two year career.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 16 Apr 2013, 20:21

mikhailv wrote:
F1EA wrote:Bianchi would have been great in Force India... but that is only AFTER people have seen him. I think Force India did ok, considering it was Hulk who left.

I argued to put him in with Sutil during testing because invisibleresta is rubbish :P

Di Resta has been beaten by his teammate twice in his two year career.
Yea i remember, so i guess you were right hehe.

Very little background on Bianchi though... and they still didn't know how Sutil would do. So considering the circumstances, i guess FI did alright.