Some initial thoughts on the 2012 DVD, haven't watched it all.
Had a look at the Silverstone round. It's good....but there's no build up. It launches straight into 'Rain dominated the weekend and delayed qualifying but cleared for the race' - nothing from practice or qualifying. Straight into Petrov's engine failure. Struck me as odd... Also a shame there's no OB from Grosjean at Spa, had hoped for that. Onboard feature from Japan is pretty good - you can see how silly Grosjean's move was, Alonso's retirement was his own fault, Perez got swamped at T3, di Resta stalling and how Button/Massa gained hugely! Oh, and in Australia Ricciardo came so close to stacking it at T5 on Lap 1. Brazil onboard also shows how late Senna braked at T4 on Lap 1. I can't remember if every car has an onboard camera, but it's a bit of a shame they don't release more. After all, a review DVD is for the dedicated fan!
Watched the features
- Driver Profiles: Just info about each driver
- Winter Testing: A summary of winter testing, as if it was produced between the third test and Australia. Some good footage
- Lotus: Interviews with Bouiller, Raikkonen and Grosjean about Lotus and their aims
- Senna + Monaco: Bruno Senna talks about Ayrton and Monaco, it's quite nice.
- Team radio in F1: Simon Rennie, Dave Robson and Andrea Stella (who has an amazingly silky voice) discuss what they do and their relationships with Raikkonen, Button and Alonso. There's an interesting one when Button's screaming "He used DRS! He used DRS! In the yellow flag zone!" about Vettel in Spain, as well as Kimi's "I know what I'm doing so just be quiet" in Belgium.
- F1 in Slow Motion: Some slow motion shots; a really nice one of a Red Bull stop
- Goodbye Michael: Warning - starts with Eddie! But it then has Stefano + Brawn talking and then a montage of Michael's career.
All in all I'd say they're pretty good. I can't help but feel that the Winter testing bit should be at the start of the DVD (maybe it is, I haven't watched the main feature yet) and that they have a lot of footage that should be released from testing - when people want it! Overall, the 6 features (driver profiles don't really count) last about 45 minutes.