It is currently 26 Jul 2017, 14:44

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 111  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 18:47  
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Posts: 25503
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
I'm not sure what to think about Heikki. He did very well in late 2007 (I always give a rookie half a season's grace at least) and parts of 2008, but in 2009 he just disappeared. He had the odd good race but I think Monza was the turning point. He should have been competing for the win but tumbled down the order. I think that was when McLaren decided not to retain him. He did well at Lotus/Caterham, but I think his head dropped slightly in 2012. He's still well liked and regarded within the team, so perhaps there is a future. Maybe part of the deal was for him to step down this year to allow a paid driver (Giedo) to have a chance.

_________________
F1Zone.net News
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 19:08  
F1 Rookie
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2012, 18:39
Posts: 572
Country: Canada (ca)
I'd like to see Heikki in. He has never been specifically "impressive", but i think he's a steady improver......

I dunno, Heikki, Kobayashi and Alguersuari i think deserve a f'ing chance at F1. At least one season...
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 19:26  
F1 Rookie
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2012, 18:39
Posts: 572
Country: Canada (ca)
phil1993 wrote:
I think we're in a privileged position where there's three extraordinarily talented drivers in Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. They all have many strengths and all have a few weaknesses. Deciding which one is best is very, very difficult. I'd rather just appreciate all three than decide because I think it's impossible.


Totally agree.

I think most of the problem is that Vettel's car is so good, he's able to put in crushing numbers instead of just winning reasonably.

There's top talent around for sure, and i actually place Vettel above Hamilton for a season's worth; given that Vet is a machine. His mental strength is beyond... what i thought humanly possible.

Lewis loses focus very easily... like creating an argument for bringing his puppy to the paddock? an argument because Jenson "unfriended" him in Twitter? Getting all misty and dedicating a win to the estranged girlfriend?
FFS!!

Other than that, i personally wouldnt mind anyone winning, as long as it looks like a fair battle. At the moment... bleh

All that said, i would rather have Newey than Vettel in my team... 100% for sure.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 19:52  
F1 Routinier
User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2008, 15:27
Posts: 4110
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
F1EA wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
I think we're in a privileged position where there's three extraordinarily talented drivers in Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. They all have many strengths and all have a few weaknesses. Deciding which one is best is very, very difficult. I'd rather just appreciate all three than decide because I think it's impossible.


Totally agree.

I think most of the problem is that Vettel's car is so good, he's able to put in crushing numbers instead of just winning reasonably.

There's top talent around for sure, and i actually place Vettel above Hamilton for a season's worth; given that Vet is a machine. His mental strength is beyond... what i thought humanly possible.

Lewis loses focus very easily... like creating an argument for bringing his puppy to the paddock? an argument because Jenson "unfriended" him in Twitter? Getting all misty and dedicating a win to the estranged girlfriend?
FFS!!

Other than that, i personally wouldnt mind anyone winning, as long as it looks like a fair battle. At the moment... bleh

All that said, i would rather have Newey than Vettel in my team... 100% for sure.


The only thing i question with Vettel, is how he would cope with a full season in a Mercedes or Lotus. We saw how he was at the start of 2012, he wasnt as perfect, as clean. His judgement and haste were off touch. He didnt look like the domineering driver we saw in 2011. At the end of 2012, his lapse in midpack was prevelant in Malaysia and in Brazil.

I think he has been so accustomed to the front that he thinks its a god given right now. We saw how he was in Malaysia this year behind webber; Whether it was true or not what he says does not Matter; it was his delivery and arrogance when at that point in time, Webber was faster and did the better job.

This is why I believe many fans dont like Vettel outside the car. He might be a great bloke down the pub, but theres the overdramatised and so fake-appearing celebrations 'YES WE DID IT*! *= by cruising from lap 2 and turning the wick down only to turn it up, pull 2 seconds a lap then laugh as you cruise again. Its asif the wins are so dramatic, so hard faught, he had to fend off the best drivers in the world in better cars. There is the way he portrays himself. Malaysia damaged him not because of what he did but because of the way he did it and his contradictory lies. He doesnt do it with the likeable charm. He was such a cock when he was going 'get him out of the way, he is too slow' when Webber was faster. Its them sort of things which grates and then pouncing when he knew his team mate was cruising per the teams orders. Webber played it ofcourse but who can blame him. He followed team orders begrudgingly and displayed he was faster and let the world know, asif he was saying Im faster, and I let you had this one *wink*. That sort of charm that schumacher had; likeability.

This is the only problem with Vettel. He hasn't learnt how to lose. Its what made Alonso and Hamilton. I want to see Vettel fighting Alonso who is in a better car, constantly dragging and beating 3 cars which are better than you all the time and to fight the title to the bitter end and having to be relentless and faultless.

Vettel has had it easy; I dont mean he has cruised to all his titles apart from 2011; but in 2010 it would've been luck which made him lose not win. 2012 is the crying shame for me, because Vettel still won down to having the best car and not being in the top 3 of the drivers that year; that to me is his weakest title with 2011 being his strongest which will be followed by 2010. 2013 will be a domineering performance but like last year; for me Pirelli will always be a reason for winning the championship; conservative tyres to suit the moaning and lobbying team.


Last edited by mikhailv on 26 Sep 2013, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 19:55  
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Posts: 25503
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.

_________________
F1Zone.net News
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2013, 20:01  
F1 Routinier
User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2008, 15:27
Posts: 4110
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
He's been perfect. Only driver this year to be perfect. But the tyre changes lobbied by RBR have changed the field massively. Thats the problem. The RBR wasn't as dominant as it has been after silverstone, this is my point. They didnt like the tyres, complained, claimed there was a safety issue (when it was the teams' fault for running the tyres with too much camber, pressure and switching sides).

Alot of dislike is for the team personally aswell; whether its the contradtictory 'safety' issues, whether its 'we want to cut costs but lets run two teams, two developments for similar concepts, lets use redbull aerodynamics and partners to do research and lets not disclose or true budget' but we want to cut costs and help teams. No sauber and force india, you cant sacrifice a real test day for windtunnel testing just because you cant afford it.

RBR pretty much cockblock things they dont agree with. I hate Ferrari for it dont get me wrong, but they aren't doing it anymore because SD is spineless. Todt wouldn't have lost 2012 nor would he have let engine mapping go in 2011 either. Ferrari lack leadership. Redbull have 1 chief back home and an toy chief on the pitwall.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 01:57  
PL Manager
User avatar

Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:59
Posts: 1696
Country: Egypt (eg)
phil1993 wrote:
Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.


How come you say that when the 2013 season isn't even over yet? If Max Chilton goes on to win the rest of the races he'd be my pick...

And I don't get why you're so sure that Pirelli didn't make life a lot easier for Red Bull. The numbers speak for themselves; after the first 8 races Vettel had a lead of 21 points. The tyres get changed, and only 5 races after that, his lead gets tripled to 60 points! Now either Vettel had improved 3-fold better than his performance in the first half of the year, or Pirelli's change did play into his favour...

_________________
My blog: http://f1andthat.wordpress.com/
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 02:35  
F1 Rookie
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2012, 18:39
Posts: 572
Country: Canada (ca)
The tires didn't help. He always had 3s on everyone, but was only saving them for the end.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 07:18  
F1 Routinier
User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2008, 15:27
Posts: 4110
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
tderias wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.


How come you say that when the 2013 season isn't even over yet? If Max Chilton goes on to win the rest of the races he'd be my pick...

And I don't get why you're so sure that Pirelli didn't make life a lot easier for Red Bull. The numbers speak for themselves; after the first 8 races Vettel had a lead of 21 points. The tyres get changed, and only 5 races after that, his lead gets tripled to 60 points! Now either Vettel had improved 3-fold better than his performance in the first half of the year, or Pirelli's change did play into his favour...


Unless Vettel starts making massive mistakes, then he is driver of the year. Right now he is anyway. Id say the championship standings reflect the order.
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 07:42  
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Posts: 25503
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
tderias wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.


How come you say that when the 2013 season isn't even over yet? If Max Chilton goes on to win the rest of the races he'd be my pick...

And I don't get why you're so sure that Pirelli didn't make life a lot easier for Red Bull. The numbers speak for themselves; after the first 8 races Vettel had a lead of 21 points. The tyres get changed, and only 5 races after that, his lead gets tripled to 60 points! Now either Vettel had improved 3-fold better than his performance in the first half of the year, or Pirelli's change did play into his favour...


Red Bull's weak point is the front limited circuits - Shanghai & Barcelona. He was playing damage limitation there.

The RB9 is the fastest car and he'd doing the best job. They learned how to use the tyres best and now it's helping them.

Vettel dominated in Bahrain & Canada, pre-changed tyres. In the two races immediately after the tyres were changed, Red Bull didn't have the fastest car.

_________________
F1Zone.net News
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 11:55  
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Posts: 25503
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
2013-20 Concorde Agreement deal reached between FIA & F~0~M. Seems that Marussia is still out in the cold.

_________________
F1Zone.net News
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 18:27  
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 17:32
Posts: 25503
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
I've written up my Spa & Monza exploits, for anyone interested!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FI41160

_________________
F1Zone.net News
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 09:44  
F1 Routinier
User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2007, 17:52
Posts: 4007
Location: Kent
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
What the hell?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26417.htm ... prixdotcom

_________________
http://i40.tinypic.com/2w7fw9v.jpg
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 10:34  
F1 Legend
User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2006, 15:50
Posts: 23702
Location: North Pole
Country: Northern Mariana Islands (mp)
donald29 wrote:

I think it's just a story. So if someone is not answering his phone, then he's going to driver for Sauber? :p
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 19:09  
F1 Routinier
User avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2008, 15:27
Posts: 4110
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
lol. Could you imagine James Hunt today; from 1min 28

 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 111  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:  

F1Zone.net is proudly powered by phpBB