2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by kals » 23 Feb 2013, 15:22

phil1993 wrote:Why give Max 4 days of running? There's no justifiable reason for it, unless Luiz gets all 4 days next week.
Well there probably is a justifiable reason, we just don't know it. Maybe Razia's contract dictates that he only gets a couple of days of pre-season testing, the rest falling to Max?

I think this is another of those cases where you're being a journalist type, over thinking things and attempting to create hype out of a nothing event :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 23 Feb 2013, 17:07

There's a dodgy translation, but Brazilian media is quoting Razia saying a sponsor didn't pay up. Saying it'll be resolved in a few days' time.

Deovann07
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Deovann07 » 24 Feb 2013, 19:13

kals wrote:Or perhaps Marussia recognizes Chilton needs the time to improve his personal abtility.....?

Chilton says that he can able to push for changes at Marussia despite his rookie status. Let see for that performance to this coming event.
great events this 2013 F1Deals

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 24 Feb 2013, 22:27

Deovann07 wrote:
kals wrote:Or perhaps Marussia recognizes Chilton needs the time to improve his personal abtility.....?

Chilton says that he can able to push for changes at Marussia despite his rookie status. Let see for that performance to this coming event.
Also known as 'Money will stop if i dont get what I want'.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 25 Feb 2013, 03:52

Wondered when I'll finally see someone comment about it, finally I found someone who did:

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/11 ... -wing.html

The second picture is from last season's Abu Dhabi GP. I actually noticed it on the live broadcast, and when that mechanic twisted that nose in that manner, I was like WTF?!? It seems legit, but I'm fully convinced its why that car is so quick.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 Feb 2013, 09:45

Redbull called it damage from hitting the board at the side of track in Abu, but replays show the nose never touched it. Doesnt matter though, just another thing in the list of dodgy stuff declared legal (but then declared illegal after).

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 25 Feb 2013, 10:54

tderias wrote:Wondered when I'll finally see someone comment about it, finally I found someone who did:

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/11 ... -wing.html

The second picture is from last season's Abu Dhabi GP. I actually noticed it on the live broadcast, and when that mechanic twisted that nose in that manner, I was like WTF?!? It seems legit, but I'm fully convinced its why that car is so quick.
There was a lot of talk about this right after the race. Red Bull was cleared: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/55405/ ... ontroversy

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 25 Feb 2013, 13:33

phil1993 wrote:There's a dodgy translation, but Brazilian media is quoting Razia saying a sponsor didn't pay up. Saying it'll be resolved in a few days' time.
Thanks Phil. Here's hoping the sponsor can pay up.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 Feb 2013, 15:43

Tim Goss is McLaren's new technical director. Paddy Lowe to continue with McLaren in a different role but leaves at the end of 2013. Translation: Gardening leave.

---

Ma Qing Hua will test for Caterham's GP2 team. Having looked at the line-up for this year's GP2 field (provisionally), there's only 5 drivers there that I think are actually potential F1 material - Calado, Abt, Nasr, Evans and Rossi.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 Feb 2013, 16:09

Knew the bastards would be engine blowing. I thought we got rid of it, had stringent boundries not to be broken. How the hell can renault turn round and say 'well we only thought it was for 4 months'. Just ridiculously stupid.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 25 Feb 2013, 17:43

phil1993 wrote: Ma Qing Hua will test for Caterham's GP2 team. Having looked at the line-up for this year's GP2 field (provisionally), there's only 5 drivers there that I think are actually potential F1 material - Calado, Abt, Nasr, Evans and Rossi.
Isn't Frijns trying to secure a drive? Ridiculous someone with his talent is struggling to even make it onto the GP2 grid! isport dropping out is perfect demonstration about what I've been saying about GP2. A few years down the line the driver standard in F1 could really be suffering...

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 Feb 2013, 17:47

Frijns is testing with Trident.

The problem is GP2 is getting more expensive. It started out as having the best young talent, but it's drifting at the moment.

Frijns's problem is he won FR3.5 as a rookie, I believe the first rookie champion since Kubica in 2005. He's kind of stuffed thanks to his own ability. He's proven himself, but he can't go anywhere. If he competes in GP2, it'll only serve to dent his reputation.

There are a few very good drivers around and thankfully most of them are tied to a team or driver. Evans (Webber), Kvyat (Red Bull), Sainz (Red Bull), Felix da Costa (Red Bull), Magnussen (McLaren), Vandoorne (McLaren), Frijns (Sauber), Rossi (Caterham)

There's also Sirotkin, Abt and Calado who could do with some backing. Although Sirotkin's nationality will help.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 25 Feb 2013, 17:57

Like Joe said, it's a nice little earner for those who run and supply the series and that's not what it should be. Bernie doesn't really care about the quality coming through as long as there's money, but it could damage the sport. Yes there have always been pay drivers, but it's different now there are fewer teams and solid mid-field teams are now having to take money into consideration when signing drivers.

Speaking of Joe, here's a classic edition of Joe vs. comments.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/02/ ... of-danica/

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 Feb 2013, 18:29

I always think that every generation is better than the last - generally speaking - but drivers now aren't given a chance. We write off crash happy guys in their first season, forgetting that the likes of Schumacher, Button and Alonso all made silly mistakes in their first few seasons.

Oh, and with Danica - I think most people's irritation is with the Danica-tastic coverage. It's over the top. She's not bad on ovals (although her race on Saturday was laughable as she retired with engine issues when all she needed to do was push a button), but if she was judged on skill rather than gender, she'd not have lasted as long as she did in IndyCar.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 Feb 2013, 19:01

phil1993 wrote:I always think that every generation is better than the last - generally speaking - but drivers now aren't given a chance. We write off crash happy guys in their first season, forgetting that the likes of Schumacher, Button and Alonso all made silly mistakes in their first few seasons.

Oh, and with Danica - I think most people's irritation is with the Danica-tastic coverage. It's over the top. She's not bad on ovals (although her race on Saturday was laughable as she retired with engine issues when all she needed to do was push a button), but if she was judged on skill rather than gender, she'd not have lasted as long as she did in IndyCar.
I think people forget Schuey/Button/Alonso's rookie mistakes because there was very few. Certainly not at the level of Maldanado or Grosjean. Thats the problem, theyre much more crashy but they also dont show something stunning like Schuey, Kimi and Alonso did in their first 2 years of racing.

Thought your right, you could argue that they had time to shine but, they didnt need time, they showed something in the first season that made people take notice, right now, no top driver has been brought in without being family academy apart from Perez which you could argue, Ferrari gave Mclaren after saying he wasn't good enough. So even then, he was an academy driver of a team.

personally, the last Pure driver we had in F1 who had mass talent, was Kubica.