2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by Treacle » 25 Sep 2013, 17:12

F1EA wrote:"Next year (2014) it may be the best driver, not the best car, that wins" -Bernie Ecclestone.
I swear I don't get how his mind works.
Last time he was all over the place claiming how special Seb is, and that he truly is a great driver. Now he sounds like some fans that claim it's solely down to the car... :roll::
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 25 Sep 2013, 18:55

Treacle wrote:
F1EA wrote:"Next year (2014) it may be the best driver, not the best car, that wins" -Bernie Ecclestone.
Last time he was all over the place claiming how special Seb is, and that he truly is a great driver. Now he sounds like some fans that claim it's solely down to the car... :roll::
Oh LOL sorry i copied the quote wrong hahahaa

The quote is actually:

Next yr it may be the best CAR that wins, not the best DRIVER.

So how bout that eh hehehehe

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re:

Post by Treacle » 25 Sep 2013, 19:02

F1EA wrote:
Treacle wrote:
Oh LOL sorry i copied the quote wrong hahahaa

The quote is actually:

Next yr it may be the best CAR that wins, not the best DRIVER.

So how bout that eh hehehehe
I guess there goes Ferrari's chance then. :p Jk.
My point stands though. You can't really win with the best car if you don't have a really good driver, and you can't win with the best driver if he doesn't have a really good car. Unless the good drivers with the best cars screw it up... :cool:
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 26 Sep 2013, 02:23

It just so happens that the best driver is in the best car at the moment.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 26 Sep 2013, 17:05

Joey Zyla wrote:It just so happens that the best driver is in the best car at the moment.
You could be right.

....Buuuuut 9/12 team principals disagree; that should be 9/10 cause RB has two votes, i wonder who they have to vote for ;)

Also there's quite a large number of boo-kids who disagree to some extent. I dont know, but they are actually at the races, maybe you know something they don't.

But you're right. We should take and accept your opinion, and Bernie's while we're at it.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 26 Sep 2013, 17:15

Joey Zyla wrote:It just so happens that the best driver is in the best car at the moment.
I think you're being far too kind to Mercedes there. :zz:

Just kidding. My opinion is that the best driver is the one who is doing the best job with the equipment he has been given. That to me is Vettel right now, he's got a great car and he's in a complete league of his own. But it changes very quickly and next year it could be Alonso or perhaps Kimi or Hamilton.
Last edited by kals on 26 Sep 2013, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Sep 2013, 17:17

I think we're in a privileged position where there's three extraordinarily talented drivers in Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. They all have many strengths and all have a few weaknesses. Deciding which one is best is very, very difficult. I'd rather just appreciate all three than decide because I think it's impossible.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 26 Sep 2013, 17:20

phil1993 wrote:I think we're in a privileged position where there's three extraordinarily talented drivers in Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso.
Ermm.... Kimi? :p

But you're point is correct. I love the fact that we have so many top class drivers at the top of their game in the sport. Even if one is dominating.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Sep 2013, 17:29

Kimi's maybe in '1.5B' class - he's phenomenally talented but I still don't think he's the driver of circa 2005. But I know you're just teasing :p

There is so much talent around - my fear is that we're missing out on some talent coming through.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 26 Sep 2013, 17:56

Problem with Kimi now is, he has lost his aggression and ballsyness. I dont care what anyone says about his fight with Button; its not extraordinary. Button is hardly that good, the guy couldnt overtake Michael Schumacher version 2 in a much slower mercedes.

Kimi had raw pace and aggression; he has lost that. He was always consistent as a driver, so his praise for that asif it is something new makes me laugh, the guy in 2005 was inseperable from Alonso. Whoever won that year would be superbly deserving. IMO, since he left Mclaren, he hasn't been the same.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 26 Sep 2013, 18:03

phil1993 wrote:Kimi's maybe in '1.5B' class
I think that's a good way of putting it. He's somewhere between Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton and Button, Webber etc.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Sep 2013, 18:09

mikhailv wrote:Problem with Kimi now is, he has lost his aggression and ballsyness. I dont care what anyone says about his fight with Button; its not extraordinary. Button is hardly that good, the guy couldnt overtake Michael Schumacher version 2 in a much slower mercedes.

Kimi had raw pace and aggression; he has lost that. He was always consistent as a driver, so his praise for that asif it is something new makes me laugh, the guy in 2005 was inseperable from Alonso. Whoever won that year would be superbly deserving. IMO, since he left Mclaren, he hasn't been the same.
I feel some of this too. I think when he left McLaren he lost the 'Kimi hustle.' His Ferrari problems have been well explained several times and I think he's been very, very good with Lotus, but just lacking that final tenth of a second or two.

It's why I'm sceptical about him returning to Ferrari. I think it should be a very good fight, but so long as Alonso stays calm, he should have the edge.

Even so, Red Bull should still have the edge. Ferrari's hope will be the WCC, especially with Ricciardo expected to take a bit of time to settle in. I just hope that the other teams don't drop the ball and I really hope Caterham make the jump into the midfield as they're a great bunch of guys down there.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 26 Sep 2013, 18:16

Caterham need Kovalainen and Van Der Garde IMO.

Mclaren kept Kimi on a leash; which to me is THE best way to employ him. They forced him to do his job in a clean cut way, kept him extremely professional and kept him focused. I know he won 2007, but lets all be honest and not detract; he was genuinely lucky to win it. He won 6 races which was more than Alonso or Lewis, but he wasn't as good as either of the drivers. Kimi won because his former team dropped the ball hugely.

Its so frustrating to look back and think that Kimi should've won 2005, Hamilton 2007 and Alonso 2010, when in reality Alonso won 2005, Kimi won 2007 and Hamilton won 2008; years which really; they shouldn't have won but did. Karma is a b*** really.

But in Mclaren he was blisteringly fast, he had huge b***, he wouldnt be scared and he would be one to fear. Now? I dont see a reason to fear Kimi. He is muted, he is different. He doesnt driver as fast, he doesnt have the b***. I dare say his wheel-to-wheel racing isn't as good as it used to be, he isn't as on it, alert and the spacial awareness has gone.

Funny that the autosport forum has that kimi thread where he is suppose to be the greatest wheel-to-wheel race on the grid right now. bulls** I say.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Sep 2013, 18:21

Don't underestimate Pic. He's extremely intelligent and is the sort of driver who should thrive under the new engine formula. His problem is that he hasn't had an eye-catching moment this year, and he got a little defensive when I asked him about that :lol:

Van der Garde has come on strongly, but it'll probably depend on his sponsorship. The way I see it is that Pic's position is secure and it'll be either Van der Garde or Kovalainen in the other car.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 26 Sep 2013, 18:27

So long as Kovalainen is in a seat, im quite happy. He has been wasted. I know you need to make the most of your time, but debuting with Flavio as your boss, beating Fisichella and then going to be number 2 at Mclaren and suffering some shite failures. He never had the chance of stability and to get to grip. Its like with Renau he was thrust into it, then at mclaren he was thrust into the MP4-23 and then by the time he got used to it it was a major rule change. He was put to the top far too quickly.