2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by mikhailv » 16 Apr 2013, 20:26

Yeah, they took known quantities over an unknown. What convinced me with Bianchi was the blind faith Ferrari had in saying that perez was half a second slower, not as adaptable or as good as Bianchi.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 17 Apr 2013, 02:26

It's tougher to shine in a faster car than in a slow one. Bianchi is impressing in the Marussia because he's adding half a second to a car that's already 4 secs down in pace. Its quite promising, but it's not achieving the impossible...

Put him in a FI and there's no way he'd be half a second faster than than what the car is actually capable of.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 17 Apr 2013, 04:13

tderias wrote:It's tougher to shine in a faster car than in a slow one.
Hmmmm i dont know about that.
An impressive race in the FI could grab him a good haul of points; and in some cases even a podium. In a backmarker, the only thing he can really achieve is beating a rookie teammate... and if he gets really lucky AND has a great race, maybe a point.

While Daniel ricciardo was able to reach Q3 and Hulkenberg put it on pole in Brazil. Realistically speaking... Bianchi would need crazy circumstances to make Q2 and divine intervention to finish in the top 10.

Yeah, he can impress... but in F1 i think people are already expecting something like Vettel at Monza to be impressed. Beating Chilton... doesn't quite cut it.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 17 Apr 2013, 05:46

read this on skysports:
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... rands-prix

[Although the 2008 title winner was, by the narrowest of margins, able to rebuff the rapid advances of Sebastian Vettel in the final stages of the race to claim the final podium position behind Alonso and Raikkonen, Hamilton has refused to shy away from admitting Mercedes do not yet possess the pace required to win this season.

"I'm very happy with third," declared Hamilton. "I want to win and I don't like to go backwards, but generally we just don't have the pace of the Ferraris and Lotuses.

"Tyre management wasn't a problem, it's just that we didn't have the pace."]

can someone explain me why Hamilton said that final sentence, tyre management wasn't a problem, the pace was not enough? is there any explanation, probably something new to enlighten me about what is he talking about? Mercedes was quick for sure, is it not quick enough?

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 17 Apr 2013, 08:42

re: Kova, is it possible that Caterham's intention in bringing him back as a reserve is to put pressure on their two drivers, especially Giedo who has been quite underwhelming? Much as I don't want to hate on a rookie after just three races, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see out the season.

Also, what's the logic of effectively axing Ma Qinghua right after giving him a friday morning outing? Was he just too slow, or did his money run out?

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 Apr 2013, 09:47

They should never have gotten rid of Heikki in the first place. Caterham were absolutely retarded for getting rid of him.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 17 Apr 2013, 12:33

François wrote:Also, what's the logic of effectively axing Ma Qinghua right after giving him a friday morning outing? Was he just too slow, or did his money run out?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Qinghua on track just so that a Chinese driver would race in China, and the money it brought with it?

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 Apr 2013, 12:36

tderias wrote:It's tougher to shine in a faster car than in a slow one. Bianchi is impressing in the Marussia because he's adding half a second to a car that's already 4 secs down in pace. Its quite promising, but it's not achieving the impossible...

Put him in a FI and there's no way he'd be half a second faster than than what the car is actually capable of.
Its tougher to shine, but I dont believe he is adding half a second to the car, I think is gelled and able to drive its maximum potential and can handle the challenges and is adaptable. Even Chilton is getting to grips with the marussia now.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 17 Apr 2013, 12:49

François wrote:re: Kova, is it possible that Caterham's intention in bringing him back as a reserve is to put pressure on their two drivers, especially Giedo who has been quite underwhelming? Much as I don't want to hate on a rookie after just three races, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see out the season.

Also, what's the logic of effectively axing Ma Qinghua right after giving him a friday morning outing? Was he just too slow, or did his money run out?
Caterham needs the money, so I can envisage Giedo seeing out the season. Seeing as there still isn't a Concorde Agreement, prize money (I guess) is still up in the air. For 2014 maybe Heikki will be back, alongside Pic.

Regarding Ma. He still has a role within Caterham, one that will be announced soon. But it was always a publicity exercise, particularly for the Chinese GP. I guess they also want Rossi trained up, hence he's in GP2 in place of Ma now.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 17 Apr 2013, 13:45

Caterham are rogering themselves so to speak. They need money so they have two pay drivers. Problem is, having two pay drivers gives immediate funds, but they are seriously at risk of getting zero money at the end of the year. So whats worth more, immediate 5million or 10th in constructors??

KevC

Post by KevC » 18 Apr 2013, 09:14

I guess doing it this way gives them the best of both worlds.

They don't have to pay Kova £5m a year to race but they get all the knowledge he has on updates and issues with a bit of cash in hand and a couple of hours in the car on a friday.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 Apr 2013, 12:39

Kevin Clark wrote:I guess doing it this way gives them the best of both worlds.

They don't have to pay Kova £5m a year to race but they get all the knowledge he has on updates and issues with a bit of cash in hand and a couple of hours in the car on a friday.
Problem with that is, he would direct the updates to two drivers incapable of performing in the car. So whats worth more, losing £2million with Kovalainen or geting how many million for 10th?

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 18 Apr 2013, 17:18

I wouldn't call Pic incapable of performing. The guy gave Glock a run for his money last year.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 Apr 2013, 17:22

François wrote:I wouldn't call Pic incapable of performing. The guy gave Glock a run for his money last year.
Yeah, but the Caterham he isn't performing at all. On the other hand, I think Glock just wanted out anyway. But neither caterham driers have been impressive in the slightest.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 18 Apr 2013, 17:39

The car is a truck at the moment, simple as that. The fact that Chilton is fighting on even terms with them should be proof enough of that.

At the moment you can only judge the Caterham drivers relatively to each other, and Pic has outraced Giedo 3 times out of 3, even overcoming a major setback in Malaysia. Take the guy seriously, there's a reason why he's still in the loop when other youngsters like di Grassi or d'Ambrosio aren't.