2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by phil1993 » 26 Sep 2013, 18:47

I'm not sure what to think about Heikki. He did very well in late 2007 (I always give a rookie half a season's grace at least) and parts of 2008, but in 2009 he just disappeared. He had the odd good race but I think Monza was the turning point. He should have been competing for the win but tumbled down the order. I think that was when McLaren decided not to retain him. He did well at Lotus/Caterham, but I think his head dropped slightly in 2012. He's still well liked and regarded within the team, so perhaps there is a future. Maybe part of the deal was for him to step down this year to allow a paid driver (Giedo) to have a chance.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 26 Sep 2013, 19:08

I'd like to see Heikki in. He has never been specifically "impressive", but i think he's a steady improver......

I dunno, Heikki, Kobayashi and Alguersuari i think deserve a f'ing chance at F1. At least one season...

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 26 Sep 2013, 19:26

phil1993 wrote:I think we're in a privileged position where there's three extraordinarily talented drivers in Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. They all have many strengths and all have a few weaknesses. Deciding which one is best is very, very difficult. I'd rather just appreciate all three than decide because I think it's impossible.
Totally agree.

I think most of the problem is that Vettel's car is so good, he's able to put in crushing numbers instead of just winning reasonably.

There's top talent around for sure, and i actually place Vettel above Hamilton for a season's worth; given that Vet is a machine. His mental strength is beyond... what i thought humanly possible.

Lewis loses focus very easily... like creating an argument for bringing his puppy to the paddock? an argument because Jenson "unfriended" him in Twitter? Getting all misty and dedicating a win to the estranged girlfriend?
FFS!!

Other than that, i personally wouldnt mind anyone winning, as long as it looks like a fair battle. At the moment... bleh

All that said, i would rather have Newey than Vettel in my team... 100% for sure.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 26 Sep 2013, 19:52

F1EA wrote:
phil1993 wrote:I think we're in a privileged position where there's three extraordinarily talented drivers in Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso. They all have many strengths and all have a few weaknesses. Deciding which one is best is very, very difficult. I'd rather just appreciate all three than decide because I think it's impossible.
Totally agree.

I think most of the problem is that Vettel's car is so good, he's able to put in crushing numbers instead of just winning reasonably.

There's top talent around for sure, and i actually place Vettel above Hamilton for a season's worth; given that Vet is a machine. His mental strength is beyond... what i thought humanly possible.

Lewis loses focus very easily... like creating an argument for bringing his puppy to the paddock? an argument because Jenson "unfriended" him in Twitter? Getting all misty and dedicating a win to the estranged girlfriend?
FFS!!

Other than that, i personally wouldnt mind anyone winning, as long as it looks like a fair battle. At the moment... bleh

All that said, i would rather have Newey than Vettel in my team... 100% for sure.
The only thing i question with Vettel, is how he would cope with a full season in a Mercedes or Lotus. We saw how he was at the start of 2012, he wasnt as perfect, as clean. His judgement and haste were off touch. He didnt look like the domineering driver we saw in 2011. At the end of 2012, his lapse in midpack was prevelant in Malaysia and in Brazil.

I think he has been so accustomed to the front that he thinks its a god given right now. We saw how he was in Malaysia this year behind webber; Whether it was true or not what he says does not Matter; it was his delivery and arrogance when at that point in time, Webber was faster and did the better job.

This is why I believe many fans dont like Vettel outside the car. He might be a great bloke down the pub, but theres the overdramatised and so fake-appearing celebrations 'YES WE DID IT*! *= by cruising from lap 2 and turning the wick down only to turn it up, pull 2 seconds a lap then laugh as you cruise again. Its asif the wins are so dramatic, so hard faught, he had to fend off the best drivers in the world in better cars. There is the way he portrays himself. Malaysia damaged him not because of what he did but because of the way he did it and his contradictory lies. He doesnt do it with the likeable charm. He was such a cock when he was going 'get him out of the way, he is too slow' when Webber was faster. Its them sort of things which grates and then pouncing when he knew his team mate was cruising per the teams orders. Webber played it ofcourse but who can blame him. He followed team orders begrudgingly and displayed he was faster and let the world know, asif he was saying Im faster, and I let you had this one *wink*. That sort of charm that schumacher had; likeability.

This is the only problem with Vettel. He hasn't learnt how to lose. Its what made Alonso and Hamilton. I want to see Vettel fighting Alonso who is in a better car, constantly dragging and beating 3 cars which are better than you all the time and to fight the title to the bitter end and having to be relentless and faultless.

Vettel has had it easy; I dont mean he has cruised to all his titles apart from 2011; but in 2010 it would've been luck which made him lose not win. 2012 is the crying shame for me, because Vettel still won down to having the best car and not being in the top 3 of the drivers that year; that to me is his weakest title with 2011 being his strongest which will be followed by 2010. 2013 will be a domineering performance but like last year; for me Pirelli will always be a reason for winning the championship; conservative tyres to suit the moaning and lobbying team.
Last edited by mikhailv on 26 Sep 2013, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Sep 2013, 19:55

Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 26 Sep 2013, 20:01

He's been perfect. Only driver this year to be perfect. But the tyre changes lobbied by RBR have changed the field massively. Thats the problem. The RBR wasn't as dominant as it has been after silverstone, this is my point. They didnt like the tyres, complained, claimed there was a safety issue (when it was the teams' fault for running the tyres with too much camber, pressure and switching sides).

Alot of dislike is for the team personally aswell; whether its the contradtictory 'safety' issues, whether its 'we want to cut costs but lets run two teams, two developments for similar concepts, lets use redbull aerodynamics and partners to do research and lets not disclose or true budget' but we want to cut costs and help teams. No sauber and force india, you cant sacrifice a real test day for windtunnel testing just because you cant afford it.

RBR pretty much cockblock things they dont agree with. I hate Ferrari for it dont get me wrong, but they aren't doing it anymore because SD is spineless. Todt wouldn't have lost 2012 nor would he have let engine mapping go in 2011 either. Ferrari lack leadership. Redbull have 1 chief back home and an toy chief on the pitwall.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 27 Sep 2013, 01:57

phil1993 wrote:Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.
How come you say that when the 2013 season isn't even over yet? If Max Chilton goes on to win the rest of the races he'd be my pick...

And I don't get why you're so sure that Pirelli didn't make life a lot easier for Red Bull. The numbers speak for themselves; after the first 8 races Vettel had a lead of 21 points. The tyres get changed, and only 5 races after that, his lead gets tripled to 60 points! Now either Vettel had improved 3-fold better than his performance in the first half of the year, or Pirelli's change did play into his favour...

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by F1EA » 27 Sep 2013, 02:35

The tires didn't help. He always had 3s on everyone, but was only saving them for the end.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 27 Sep 2013, 07:18

tderias wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Vettel has been the best driver in 2013. Pirelli didn't hand it to Red Bull this season. Vettel has been phenomenal.
How come you say that when the 2013 season isn't even over yet? If Max Chilton goes on to win the rest of the races he'd be my pick...

And I don't get why you're so sure that Pirelli didn't make life a lot easier for Red Bull. The numbers speak for themselves; after the first 8 races Vettel had a lead of 21 points. The tyres get changed, and only 5 races after that, his lead gets tripled to 60 points! Now either Vettel had improved 3-fold better than his performance in the first half of the year, or Pirelli's change did play into his favour...
Unless Vettel starts making massive mistakes, then he is driver of the year. Right now he is anyway. Id say the championship standings reflect the order.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Sep 2013, 07:42

tderias wrote:

Red Bull's weak point is the front limited circuits - Shanghai & Barcelona. He was playing damage limitation there.

The RB9 is the fastest car and he'd doing the best job. They learned how to use the tyres best and now it's helping them.

Vettel dominated in Bahrain & Canada, pre-changed tyres. In the two races immediately after the tyres were changed, Red Bull didn't have the fastest car.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Sep 2013, 11:55

2013-20 Concorde Agreement deal reached between FIA & F~0~M. Seems that Marussia is still out in the cold.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Sep 2013, 18:27

I've written up my Spa & Monza exploits, for anyone interested!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FI41160

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 30 Sep 2013, 09:44

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 30 Sep 2013, 10:34

I think it's just a story. So if someone is not answering his phone, then he's going to driver for Sauber? :p

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 Sep 2013, 19:09

lol. Could you imagine James Hunt today; from 1min 28