2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by mikhailv » 10 Feb 2013, 16:19

I like maldanado and he took a great win. Problem its like for every good race theres at least 2 bad. hes had some ridiculous penalties for trivial reasons but then twice he has purposely used his car to ram an opponent.

undoubtedly he brings money and a win. but he brings penalties, accidents and the odd flash of great driving.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Feb 2013, 16:25

Maldonado is probably the one driver who I've changed my opinion about. At first I thought he was a crash happy rich kid, who won a GP2 title thanks to being in the best team and very experienced.

He deserves a place in F1, but he does need to calm down. He was relatively tame towards the end of the season and he needs that to continue into 2013. It'll be interesting to see how he matches up compared to Bottas, because word is that the Finn is just a little bit quicker than Maldonado...

There's quite a few intra-team battles this year. Vettel and Alonso should get the better of their team mates, but further down the grid I reckon there might be surprises. Hulkenberg should beat Gutierrez, ditto Hamilton with Rosberg. Button/Perez will be particularly fascinating. Early on in the year there's a few circuits where Rosberg does really well, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's questions early on about Hamilton.

The new guys - and I still count the likes of Pastor, Romain and Nico in there! - excite me as well. I'm really intrigued to see how Bottas, Steve Gutierrez and Bianchi fare.

Maybe we should have a guessing game about which team mate will win and how many % of their points the losing one will get :p Winner gets something :p

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 10 Feb 2013, 17:19

Great interview with Trulli. I have mentioned before that F1 needs more manufacturers and less customer-teams, and Jarno backs this up as well.

F1 is at the pinnacle of motor racing, and if the likes of Audi, Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, Maserati, Lambo, Honda, Toyota, Lotus etc. aren't a part of it, then who will be?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Feb 2013, 17:22

I'm not sure about the manufacturers.

F1 had Jaguar and they failed. BMW were moderately successful. Toyota and Honda failed.

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 10 Feb 2013, 17:40

I think that Kimi will also have some trouble with Romain this season. :) Not crashy trouble, but performance. :D

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 10 Feb 2013, 18:50

phil1993 wrote:I'm not sure about the manufacturers.

F1 had Jaguar and they failed. BMW were moderately successful. Toyota and Honda failed.
BMW's, Toyota's and Honda's engines were good. Car manufacturers should supply engines (or "power units") only. Just look at Mercedes. Their engines are great and they had a great time with McLaren but they are not competent enough to run a successful F1 team (at least since they signed Niki Lauda it's pretty obvious).

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Feb 2013, 19:20

That's true actually. The danger with that is the engine manufacturer getting too involved.

I wonder who the 4th engine supplier will be though, speaking of engines...

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 10 Feb 2013, 19:35

Yeah, that was an annoying thing BMW, Honda and Toyota withdrew. They took their engines with them and now we have less suppliers.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Feb 2013, 16:51

Jaime Alguersuari ‏@AlguersuariJA
Acabo de publicar una foto @ Silverstone Circuit http://instagr.am/p/VmFmnCEqo6/

Interesting.

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 11 Feb 2013, 17:05

I want to see a shootout between Sutil, Bianchi & Alguersuari in Barcelona and the best driver gets the job. The show would be great for the team!

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 11 Feb 2013, 17:22

phil1993 wrote:I'm not sure about the manufacturers.

The problem is, none of those understood F1. BMW came in and wanted to win within 3 years, if not, pull out. 2007 was solid, 2008 was brilliant but then stopped development when Kubica led the bloody championship. They did c**p in 2009 and sold up immediately.

Toyota had some chances in 2009, but again they spent money on what? They threw money at a car they didnt really understand. Honda had the same problem. They threw money but they didnt have the right people. Every single decision had to go through board of directors. Those guys knew zero about F1 cars. Engines maybe, not designing the cars. The japanese mentality is an automatic failure.

Honda though, if they stayed in 2009, then they wouldn't have ben a failure. The BGP01 started its life in 2007 as the RA109. If Honda still threw the millions behind it, they wouldve won more convincingly that Jenson having to rely on his 6 outta 7 wins and his average 2nd half of the season when the car didnt suit him.

This is the main problem with Mercedes IMO too. Honda, BMW, Mercedes..... fantastic engines, all race winners with previous winning pedigree. But that pedrigree didnt include those manufacturers actually designing cars. That was left to Sauber, Mclaren, BAR.

When Honda took over, they were very lucky to win Hungary 2006, we all know it. It was a great race by Jenson but it was a clear attrition win. It wasn't because Honda built a brilliant car. Renault were absolutly miles ahead with Alonso behind the wheel. BMW and Mercedes are the same to me; they just cant really build a car, but they can build engines.

Thats the difference to me; they are great Engine manufacturers, but F1 car manufacturers? I believe they were left lacking because for some reason they had all this money but they couldnt secure the right people to build the car and design it.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Feb 2013, 17:24

Rumour has it the BGP001 was better with the Mercedes engine than it would have been with the Honda...

The biggest shame was not getting the TF110 to race; that car was supposedly very, very good. Trulli's drive in Japan 09 was utterly fantastic, it's a shame they never won.

---

On another note, Dieter Rencken's weekly doom mongering column is out
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... d-hurt-f1/

Not a bad point though...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 11 Feb 2013, 17:53

phil1993 wrote:Rumour has it the BGP001 was better with the Mercedes engine than it would have been with the Honda...

The biggest shame was not getting the TF110 to race; that car was supposedly very, very good. Trulli's drive in Japan 09 was utterly fantastic, it's a shame they never won.

---

On another note, Dieter Rencken's weekly doom mongering column is out
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... d-hurt-f1/

Not a bad point though...
And the TF110 wouldve been an awsome care to see race. They shouldve sold the car onwards and the team as oppose to a full immediate withdrawal.

Yeah I know they did a cut and hack job with the Mercedes engine/gearbox, but on the flipside, Honda knew how they developed it and it wouldve had a large amount of cash which was clearly lacking when Branson offered £250k a race and said it was too expensive. So the engine might not've been as strong, but clearly that car had the downforce and double diffuser which would certainly give it the superior edge.

I always wondered if Mercedes' problem was the fact that it doesnt understand the car. I know its hugely different, but its still on the original idea of the BGP01 which was designed by Honda, and personally, I think thats why they still struggle with development, they just dont 'get it'. Theyve continually fell back each year; 2010 id say the Merc was better than the Renault, but 2011 it was overtaken by Lotus-Renault as car IMO, but it didnt have the drivers. 2012? That car fell behind Force india and Sauber and even Williams IMO but again, none of those teams had the drivers to carry those cars with consistency. I do think that Rosberg has carried that team, and Schumacher wouldve beaten Rosberg this year if it wasnt for such shocking failures and non-fault incidents. Those two really are Mercedes' face-saving graces.

So much pace and chances thrown by Sauber, FI and Williams which comes down to inexperience which the Merc drivers have. This year theyve got one of the two creams of crop, and im more excited now in watching Mercedes because I want it to test lewis akin to the R28/R29 and make Lewis as one of the all-time greats.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Feb 2013, 17:57

Cyril Abiteboul has given an interview with Sky
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... terham-Q-A

Heikki could still have a role with the team.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 11 Feb 2013, 20:43

If I was heikki, I wouldnt waste my time. If they honestly think that going with two rookies, and that the platform of having experience drivers needed to change, then I beg the question what planet he is on. I mean, if your setting up a team, your hoping for drivers in which will guarantee you that if the car is worthy of a point, they will get that point, who do you see getting it? Kovalainen, petrov, Kobayashi, Heidfeld and Sutil spring to my mind immediately.

So I dont understand what platform they are wanting to start afresh from. You've got one guy who has driven all iterations of the car and knows it inside out, would you not want him? Let alone insinuating that the team couldnt trust kovalainen anymore for development and of the team. I'd find that damn well offensive to be honest. What do they expect? Promise a driver something and it turns out you just get a little bit worse every year whilst the opposition behind close in on you..... utter joke.

Or is it because Kovy is too vocal in saying 'they are shite, they arent moving anywhere near enough to touch point, if there was 12 cars on track not counting marussia, we can guarantee that we would be 11th and 12th' then I would get why they would want new drivers; because they would be desperate to stay on the grid no matter how bad it is and Caterham dont like the fact he isn't a young suck up desperate for the grid?

His comments and Gascoynes further diminish my disliking for the team.